PDA

View Full Version : How to handle parents when they sign and then don't want to start?

mamaof4
11-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Here is a question from an anonymous member, she would appreciate your advice.

I had a family take an infant spot and they were to start today, signed contract the whole deal...Then they said "We really just son't want to drop C**** off, I don't think that is the place for him" She left me a message saying this.

HUH?

You read my handbook knowing that A FULL MONTHS FEES ARE DUE IF YOU CANCEL ON THE FIRST DAY OF CARE, as well as your 150.00 deposit is kept?? Are people really that dumb?? (they didn't even show up for the first day and I purchased a highchair, as well as a playpen.)

I have left them a vm to say that I would like to dicuss thier choice with them-- to please get back to me as I want to deal with thier concerns--

If I do not hear back I intend on pursuing the matter legally after one week, any advice??

I also want to include the cost of the highchair and playpen.

What if they call back what to do?

Judy Trickett
11-17-2011, 06:33 AM
Just let them go. Don't EVER chase clients. You need to set forth the notion that you are not desperate and you do not need them. You provide a service. The parents either want that service or they don't. Period.

Yes, it sucks. Yes, it happens. But the longer you are in this business the less stuff like this will happen to you. You just need to get some experience dealing with the business side of daycare under your belt and situations like this will become very rare.

Keep the deposit and move on.

sunnydays
11-17-2011, 07:48 AM
For future you may want to make your deposit higher. I make it a full two weeks fees....it hurts more to lose $420 than $150. Plus, it makes them really think before signing up. And if they do drop out, you have money to cover costs and time for advertising again. personally, I wouldn't think it is worth pursuing them legally as you will pay more in legal fees than you will ever get if you even win. Do you have a trial period in your contract? I have the first month as a trial, so parents could legally leave without notice during that time if they are not happy (as could I). If you have that, then they don't have to pay a month's fees.

mamaof4
11-17-2011, 07:58 AM
here is a follow up post,
I intent on taking them to small claims for the fee as my contract states, or do you think I should...?? My husband says yes, I am on the fence?

What do you think Judy?

playfelt
11-17-2011, 08:02 AM
The shortest length of time I had a child in care was ONE HOUR! The mom had been bringing the baby for short periods for over a month and everything seemed fine - baby was only 5 months but that was normal back then.

Well we got to the actual start date when mom had to go to work. She dropped baby off fine but instead of going home for a bit or shopping or any of the things she had done the past month she sobbed all the way to work - went straight to the manager's office and said she just couldn't do it and quit. She then sobbed all the way home and came to get the baby. Manager tried to give her another chance but she just couldn't do it. She ended up staying home with the baby an spent most of her time trying to be as frugal as possible to help make ends meet.

My guess is this could also be what you are dealing with in that when it came time to actually start the mom has changed her mind. The other thing that could have happened is that family members stepped in at the last minute such as grandma and offered to care for the child and now the family doesn't know what to tell you or what their obligations are. They won't be thinking of notice required since they didnt' even start care. The deposit is non-refundable so that is yours to keep and I would just move on. If you can find someone I wouldn't be giving them a second chance.

Judy Trickett
11-17-2011, 08:45 AM
I intent on taking them to small claims for the fee as my contract states, or do you think I should...?? My husband says yes, I am on the fence?

What do you think Judy?

I would have to see your contract in its entirety to answer this question. It depends on what other loopholes you allowed in your contract.

If they hadn't even started yet I would likely not pursue small claims. It's just not worth it. Keep the deposit and move on. But, as the other ladies said, you really need to have a much larger deposit. I like to do at least 2 week's fees worth.

Here is the thing about daycare and business......you always have to make the outcome of non-compliance sting a little, or, at the very least, benefit you in some way. So, if you had taken a full two week's deposit and they don't start care then you are actually getting the same income as that child coming for two and a half weeks or so because you are not actually feeding that child or absorbing costs to care for that child.

So, advertise and start interviewing again. Be VERY picky next time who you accept into care, charge them a larger deposit and ensure you state that it is NOT refundable for ANY reason.

I HAVE taken a family to court before and won but I also have a very extensive contract and the family would have lost anyway so they ended up paying me after they got the summons.

Daycare123
11-17-2011, 12:15 PM
I have had experiences like this-when I opened. When I opened my deposit fee was $100 now it is 2 weeks worth of full-time fees-this is a NON-REFUNDABLE regardless of the circumstance. I agree with Judy-let this one go, but use this as a learning tool. After being taken advantage by parents I went over my contract with a fine-toothed comb-so it could not be disputed from any angle-I now feel much more confident that I have covered myself and my business the best I can in this regard.

VictoriaChildCare
11-19-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm really sorry this happened to you. Like Judy said, never chase a client. No matter how long you are in this game it will still happen to you. It's on the parents - not you!
I know it's frustrating to have an empty space you thought would be full but these nervous nellies probably would have made your life miserable.
As for the highchair, it's now your's for all future use, you can write off the full amount and the $150 deposit should cover it.
You don't want to get walked all over but you also don't want to reputation of being litigious. 1 mouthy parent can poison your whole well of potential clients.
The insult stings, the loss of income stings but there are times when it's just better to walk away and regroup.

Skysue
11-19-2011, 11:22 AM
here is a follow up post,

Not to be rude but why would you take them to court? You’re not going to be able to get anything. It will be a waste of your time and money. The contract says they lose their deposit and that’s a loss for them. Why can't you take back the high chair and playpen?

Those items if you decide to keep are a right off anyway. Playpens: for me I ask my clients to supply, as it's more hygienic.

Hears a thought let's say you hire a painter to paint your living room and he takes a $150.00 deposit for materials. In the week before he starts you hear he does a terrible job and is very messy as he caused a friend to have to re do his services. Before letting him in your house and paying him $500.00 more at the end of the week you cancel and take the $150.00 as a loss. It's your right isn't it?

As daycare providers we are providing a service if people decide they no longer need our services it’s up to them.

Have you asked them what there main concerns for feeling the way that they do? For me it would be more of a blow to my spirit than my wallet if any of my clients felt that way.

Like Judy said take it as a loss and move on.

mamaof4
11-21-2011, 01:57 PM
follow up post:
I can take them to court skysue cause my contract says I can, it also states that they are resp. for one months fees if they do not come on the first day.

Skysue
11-21-2011, 04:48 PM
follow up post:

Not to be rude but then why are you asking for advice? Feel free to take them to court and good luck as I'm sure it will get thrown out! The paper work alone costs more tha 150.00. Does it also state in your contract that they owe you for the high chair and playpen?