PDA

View Full Version : Rant :(

Dawn2Dusk
09-11-2015, 01:31 PM
Hi Ladies,

So I don't have any friends or really know anybody running a dayhome and I have been posting a lot to get your guys support which I love. I did a lot of research before starting my dayhome and I came up with rules I thought were fair but a lot are standard. I decided to take in an extra child from 4pm- 8pm w- f because I could use the extra income since I'm having trouble filing my last spot. I need a child age 3 to play with my other 3 year old and the only people emailing me want care for there 1 year old. Anyway these 4-8 parents are paying pretty much a full time spot. I wasn't so sure about them since they wanted to start the day after the interview but I am giving them a shot. Well yesterday she shows up 20 munites early for drop off I set her straight referring to my handbook that technically she owes me 20 dollars but I will let it go and it can't happen again. Well dad was then 15 minutes late for pick up, I gave them another copy of my handbook with highlighted sections and had a good conversation that I want to take care of there child but if this happens again I will be letting them go and any late or early time will be charged next time. I said it in a nice but stern way and they seemed to get it. There excuse was they are just adjutant but I think they are just those kind of people that don't care about others time. When I told my husband I did almost 40 extra minutes of work today free and how unfair and disrespectful it is he told me just not to say anything so I don't lose them as clients.

It's just so upsetting that I am the bad guy for enforcing the rules that they signed a contract agreeing to! It's not like it was 5 minutes it was 40! Anyway I guess I'm just looking for some other dayhome parents to say I am right for standing up for myself. All my parents and kids are amazing right now apart from them but I had to let 2 different set of parents go in the last 2 months also for not following policy. One refused to pay stats and was disrespectful and the other constantly late and unreliable.

Why are the parent so much harder to deal wih than the kids!?!?!? And how to people not realize how difficult our job is!?!?!

babydom
09-11-2015, 01:56 PM
Yes, yes, yes, yes! YOU are RIGHT! What u are feeling is ok! Unfortunately in our business we get ALOT of parents that are crappy and some that are great. U just have to deal with them as they come. U did great by saying right off the bat that early or late is NOT allowed. don't worry. U are doing great!. This job just sucks sometimes with having to deal with the parents. The big adults give us more grief then the kids do!!

Van
09-11-2015, 05:18 PM
and our husbands don't understand how much it can annoy us so we feel worst but you had to let the parents know not to make a habit of being late and early so you did right

Lee-Bee
09-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Sounds like you did perfect! You called them out the first (and second) time. That is hard to do but it gets them in line before they have a pattern of thinking it is ok.

If your start time is not firm make it known. They might be thinking that since you open at 8am for other kids there is no harm in coming 20minutes early...you are already there working. While this isn't acceptable it is easy enough to see that they could think they way. It is up to you to make it known they can't think this way! Being late on day 1 is a HUGE red flag. You did good.

They may very well turn out to be the best daycare family you have they just need guidance to know what that means on their end. If it continues after you have told them clearly...THEN you have a problem.

Also, as much as your husband may legitimately be concerned that the family will leave if you are firm with them...I think they will find it hard to just up and leave for a new daycare for the hours they are wanting so you can likely be firm and not lose them. Be polite enough about it...but be clear, consistent and firm to ensure they are following the contracted terms.