PDA

View Full Version : Question to Calgary Home Day Care providers.

Cocoon
11-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Hello everyone.

I've just finished my contract but I'm still not sure what to put in terms of holidays. I've read a post under this subject on here but most of the participants are from ON. And I wanted to find out what Calgarian providers put in their contract?

Now my question is, how many weeks paid holiday do you put in your contract? The country I moved from we get 4 weeks and all public holidays paid. 2 weeks chosen by the family and 2 weeks chosen by the provider.

So how many weeks paid holiday do you put in your contract?

Thanks in advance.
Cocoon

sunnydays
11-17-2011, 12:20 PM
I am not from Calgary, so I can't help you there, but I am curious to know how the 2 weeks chosen by the parents works? I mean, wouldn't you still only end up with 2 weeks off since different families would choose different 2 week periods and so you would still have the other kids?

Cocoon
11-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Sorry, I should have mentioned. I was working as a nanny back then. And as long as they inform you in advance then you can book your holidays. I never liked it anyway as they used to go on holiday peak times(school holidays) and I had to pay more then double for tickets and hotels if i wanted to go away at the same time as the family.

fruitloop
11-17-2011, 01:51 PM
I don't do paid holidays for my own but parents pay if they are the ones going on holidays. I also get ALL stat holidays off and I also close for Christmas Eve, Boxing Day, and Easter Monday. I'm in Airdrie, just north of Calgary :)

Cocoon
11-17-2011, 02:15 PM
I was thinking of putting 2 weeks paid holiday and 3 days sick/personal days. And also all stat/puclic holidays. Is it too much?

mom-in-alberta
11-17-2011, 02:46 PM
I am from the Calgary area.... (just north). I get 10 days off, plus 4 personal days and all Stats, PAID. Beyond that, I would prorate if I took more time off. So far, I have not had any issues with parents when we discuss this.
Most of them get holidays, or at least holiday pay. Why shouldn't I? :)

fruitloop
11-17-2011, 03:21 PM
I forgot to add that I get 10 paid sick/personal/bereavement days, My holiday time is 3 weeks unpaid/year.

Cocoon
11-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Thank you all. I think I will put 2 weeks holiday paid. And 3 sick days and all stat/public holidays. I don't know how they will respond as we haven't talk about this. I'm not her first home day care provider so I assume she is familiar with paid holidays. She asked me about Christmass and I told her that I expected to be paid for all stats. I will send the contract to her this evening so that she can have a look before we both sign tomorrow.

mlc1982
11-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Have you all had paid holidays from the start? If not and you've changed while in care, have you ever had backlash from parents for changing your policy?? What would be my best way to go about it if I wanted to change my holiday policy to get paid now instead of unpaid?

playfelt
11-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Sometimes the best way is to change the policy for new families that start but not for old families or to not change it for them for awhile as in starting next Sept the new rules will be.