PDA

View Full Version : At my wit's end!!!

mattsmom
09-16-2015, 09:30 AM
So, I have this one year old boy that's in his second week in my care and I don't know what to do with him!

He has cried from the time he started coming here. And I don't mean crying some of the day and stops for the other times....he cries literally the entire day!

I have tried everything with him...playing with him, holding and bouncing him on my knee, showing him the toys, distracting him, taking him for walks, playing music. The other children try to play with him but nothing will make him stop!

He won't even sleep while he's here. I give him lunch and a bottle and he will just cry the entire time in the playpen. I eventually have to get him up because he is waking the other little one up.

I've been doing this job for more than 8 years and have had many babies here and I have to say that I'm am at a loss at what to do with him.

Any advice would be truly appreciated!

fivelittleones
09-16-2015, 10:35 AM
Is he teething? Has he had bowel movements? If everything else looks okay and you are sure it's just separation anxiety...I would put him on another level of your house if you are able to and let him cry it out. It might take a while but just have the monitor on and don't go in. He needs to self sooth. If you keep trying to please him and make him stop crying he'll keep crying to get anything he wants. That's my advice...hope it helps! :unsure:

Suzie_Homemaker
09-16-2015, 12:10 PM
Ask Mom to provide a comfort item with her scent. Not big blanket because it get in way but something smell like Mommy.

Dreamalittledream
09-17-2015, 08:31 AM
Oh gosh I feel your pain. I also have a 1 year old doing the same...then suddenly this week (week 3 into transition); boom...this kid comes Monday morning...no tears...napping beautifully....final ly eating....RELIEF! Some things that have helped me in the past (although they did not in the case of this little guy who was inconsolable): Have a playpen in the room (with rotating toys and a comfort item) or a booster chair elevated up...rotate between floor and those areas....I find some are on sensory overload and fearful on the floor...it seems to calm. If you are completely overwhelmed...place them in another room in a playpen (just to give yourself a break!). The constant crying is so stressful on the entire group. Hoping for better days ahead!

ebhappydc
09-17-2015, 09:26 AM
Have been through this many times - earphones r your friend. Keep smiling at him as it's a whole new world to him and he's so insecure. He'll soon realize you're a safe place. Sometimes they turn out to be the best kids down the road.