PDA

View Full Version : Gluten Free?

MsBell
10-01-2015, 08:54 AM
So I have an interview with a family, and they are gluten free. Mom says she will provide LOs food. I am very hesitant, because I have heard this before, moms who need special diet, but then "forget" to supply lunch or snacks, leaving me to try to substitute. So I put in my contract that I can not provide food for special diets. Here is my problem, one little guy that I just took on about a month ago, great kid, great family, is showing some gastro issues that might be symptoms of a gluten sensitvity. If he needs to go gluten free, then Mom will have to provide his food (that hasnt happened yet) so im thinking, if I have one, then how hard would it be to have two on gluten free diets? I am not interested in changing my menus at all, however any of you ladies have some kids bring their own food for this reason? Like I said, it has happened before (a few times) but there was always the forgetful days, where mom would say "oh just give them whatever, I forgot"

babydom
10-01-2015, 08:59 AM
I've done it before. It was for a nut allergy. Mom had to bring the child's food. If mom forgot I didn't accept the child into daycare. As I didn't feel comfortable to just feed her "whatever". She had to leave with the child, go home get the food then come back. It happened twice but she understood why I was uncomfortable and was fine with it. I didn't have any other problems. I put in my contract that if food was forgotten care would be unavailable till food was brought. Obviously gluten is less a worry then nuts but I don't take a chance when it comes to allergies.

crayolamom
10-01-2015, 09:15 AM
I accommodate all allergies not food preference and I do run a peanut free daycare. If you do not want to provide this get parents to bring the food with it labeled. If she shows up to daycare without the food then send her home with the child to get it then come back. If they ever give you are hard time about making them go home to get the food just simply say you didn't prepare enough food or don't have the type of food needed to accommodate the allergy because it was understood the parents would provide.

Normally parents understand and don't want their kids to be hungry so I don't think you will have a problem.

5 Little Monkeys
10-01-2015, 09:24 AM
I've never had a parent forget their child's food when they have allergies. Most parents will not want their child to go hungry or have the provider give them something they shouldn't.

I would ask that they supply the food if you're not willing to completely change your menu. They sound like they are okay doing this so bonus!!

MsBell
10-01-2015, 10:51 AM
Another question regarding this, does the parent have to provide all the food for the day, or only substitute when needed? I cant help but think that this is going to create more work on my end, and I am not up for that. Do I tell the parents that if they want to bring their childs food, its an "all or nothing" deal?

babydom
10-01-2015, 11:38 AM
I do all or nothing. U pack for the day so I'm not reading labels all day wondering if this child can eat it or not. Its how I do it and no problems. They come with a lunch box with two snack and lunch. I also ask the parents to buy a box of cookies or crackers that they can have and that stays at my house. So if I run out from the lunch box I can go to those crackers. And they refill that box when I go through it all.

playfelt
10-01-2015, 12:27 PM
It makes a difference too whether they are gluten free by choice or by medical need as in any cross contamination - both kinds of crackers on the counter at the same time would be enough to give the gluten sensitive child a reaction so it is more than just mom sending the food.

For sure she provides it all for the day as someone mentioned to hard to read labels all day or to know exactly what fillers are also a no no. I would also not be lowering my fee any either in that while I am not providing food I am having to spend extra time being conscious of who is eating what, it will limit things like baking experiences for the group or cause me to spend extra to buy special products so that when we bake all can touch the ingredients and eat the final product.

Lee-Bee
10-01-2015, 01:04 PM
If you do take them on just have them leave a few emergency foods at your house. Something with a long shelf life that you can use to top up the child's meals when needed or in a pinch feed the child should they forget the child's meals.

As mentioned above I would ensure that the child is ok if there is minor cross contamination on the rare occasion. I would think with gluten allergy it is ok...as it typically just makes them sick to the stomach (though with potential long term consequences) and not anaphylactic.

mickyc
10-01-2015, 01:40 PM
I would do all or nothing. I had a family ask once but I said they would not get any reduction in fees. The ended up going elsewhere.

Suzie_Homemaker
10-02-2015, 06:29 AM
I do all or nothing. I provide food and milk and if it not suitable for allergy or life choice, they provide all own child food. I make sure contracted edited to state clearly. I not give discount if they need provide food either.
My fees is daily fee which include activities, toys, and meals. If they opt not to use any part of my service, fees unchanged because it not broken down to all aspects.

33 Daiseys
10-02-2015, 03:08 PM
I ask to have a treat item on hand, snack items, loaf of bread to put in the freezer, and a few meals that can be frozen for days when kids need a bit more.
The only special item that is needed right now is homo milk.
We, meaning my family is gluten free, egg free, milk free, food dye free. I make everything from scratch, made the best batch of granola this am with the kids.
You can either have the parents send in the meals, or charge them x amount extra to supply the foods. Do you know if this is by choice, intolerance, or allergy.

MsBell
10-02-2015, 03:57 PM
see 33 Daiseys, that just seems like more extra work then I care for at the moment. I have a family of my own, and I dont have the extra storage space in my freezer or cupboards for a stock pile of groceries, plus, then I have to prepare at least two separate meals (or go gluten free myself) and worry about cross contamination , and this could be for two kids of different families....too much extra to worry about having on hand. Im thinking that the parents would have to provide a lunch box, with prepared snacks and lunches ready to use (not buy a bunch of groceries and I do the work) but I do forsee that I will end up being expected to take the special diet over.

CrazyEight
10-02-2015, 04:25 PM
I had a family who's little guy was diagnosed with autism while in my care. Mom decided that going gluten-free would magically help him be "less" autistic. OK, well, not my kid. I said they would have to send all his food, which they happily did, every day, in a lunch box. The only thing that was kept here was a carton of gluten-free soy milk to fill his bottle with. If they forgot his lunch, I wouldn't have taken him that day, but they never did.

I also had a child with a peanut and tree-nut allergy. This was an actual allergy, not just a dietary choice, and my entire house became nut-free when I took them on, and for the 2 years he was here. Given the choice, I wouldn't do it again, as even for my family, none of whom like nuts, it was tough.

Basically, I offer healthy, balanced, home-cooked meals. If parents want something different and it's not something that my family is already doing for us, then the parents can send the food everyday.

daycaremom9
10-02-2015, 11:21 PM
So I have an interview with a family, and they are gluten free. Mom says she will provide LOs food. I am very hesitant, because I have heard this before, moms who need special diet, but then "forget" to supply lunch or snacks, leaving me to try to substitute. So I put in my contract that I can not provide food for special diets. Here is my problem, one little guy that I just took on about a month ago, great kid, great family, is showing some gastro issues that might be symptoms of a gluten sensitvity. If he needs to go gluten free, then Mom will have to provide his food (that hasnt happened yet) so im thinking, if I have one, then how hard would it be to have two on gluten free diets? I am not interested in changing my menus at all, however any of you ladies have some kids bring their own food for this reason? Like I said, it has happened before (a few times) but there was always the forgetful days, where mom would say "oh just give them whatever, I forgot".

You should research it, my hubby is a celiac and aside from bread we've found that it's not too expensive. There are more and more stores selling gluten free products at competitive rates. You just have to shop for the deals and know what to avoid.

Suzie_Homemaker
10-03-2015, 02:23 PM

You should research it, my hubby is a celiac and aside from bread we've found that it's not too expensive. There are more and more stores selling gluten free products at competitive rates. You just have to shop for the deals and know what to avoid.

For me, advantage of providing food is all children eat same. No arguing about want what someone else have. Because business, it objective to keep running cost low as possible without affecting quality. Accommodating dietary requirement make harder to do that. My fees = my service, my program, my menu. If someone want/need different, it up to them to provide. I not incurring extra cost that not considered in my fees. It make no sense to incur that cost for all children but it make no sense to provide alternative meal either.

Parent want/need soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, instead of regular milk or any other substitution, they have provide it, here.

Discoveries
10-03-2015, 03:55 PM
If the child has celiac disease then another thing to keep in mind is items like play dough. You can make your own gluten free play dough though.

islander
11-14-2015, 01:02 PM
Celiac does not just cause stomach discomfort. Minor cross-contamination is not okay, it takes six weeks from their colon to recover from gluten exposure.