PDA

View Full Version : Picky eater advice

Dawn2Dusk
10-06-2015, 12:44 PM
Hi Ladies so I love to cook and make a wide range of healthy foods at my dayhome. It has never been an issue even he child that started out as a picky eater eats all the food I give her everytime. Last week a three and a half year old started,he is my oldest child and he has been making meal time miserable.

Breakfast isn't a huge deal he eats a little and snacks he eats but as soon as I say lunch time he starts crying. The problem is I can't even get him to try a single bite. I make him stay seated until he tries one bite but he won't. I have tried bribing him saying he can have a cookie after lunch if he tries one bite. Nothing is working. I'm frustrated because the parents are like we'll he is a picky eater ( didn't worn me in the interview) and are telling me I should change my menu. Basically they want me to give him kd and hot dogs everyday and I'm just not going to do it. All my other kids enjoy the food and his boy won't even try it.

What should I do? How can I get that kid to at least try the food?

I'm almost at the point of telling the mom to pack the kids lunch from now on.

kindertime
10-06-2015, 01:02 PM
It all depends on how important it is to you that he eats something. My policy is everyone gets the same food and it is up to the child to decide whether they eat or not. I want them to drink their milk at least, but I won't make a battle out of it either. Kids won't starve if you provide them with a variety of heathy foods. He's eating breakfast and snacks with you so you aren't sending him home on an empty stomach anyway. And at 3, it sounds like this is more of a power struggle for him anyway. If you put the food in front of him and don't say anything about it and take the plate away when everyone else is finished and lunch is over, he may find he likes lunch after all.

I once had a parent tell me in the interview that she wanted her child to eat everyday, even if that meant I had to give him hot dogs every day. I made it clear that wasn't going to happen, and that I was required by law (which she knew) to follow the Canada Food Guide. I try to always do what is requested by parents but not when it goes against my health and safety policies.

5 Little Monkeys
10-06-2015, 01:07 PM
It was REALLY hard but I finally gave up trying to get my picky eater to eat. I used to do the same, make her try a bite but mealtimes were just horrendous.....screa ming, crying, whining, food throwing! Absolutely ridiculous tbh.

Now, I give her the same as everyone else (altho, half the portion size) and if she doesn't eat, whatever then. She gets all the same snacks, meals and dessert as the others. It's up to her to eat what she wants. It has really really worked!!! She now eats things she never even touched before! I do find myself still saying from time to time, "try a bite" but I stop myself when I catch myself doing it. She's a picky eater at home too but I think mom caves and makes her a different menu, not entirely sure though!!

Lee-Bee
10-06-2015, 01:20 PM
Stop trying.
Put the food out, take the food away. No comments about food in between. It won't be a battle if you don't care if the child eats.

The older the child the harder it is as they are used to things the way they are used to them. But in time the child will come to accept that you serve what you serve and he can eat what he choses to eat (from what you have served).

Begging, bribing, asking, pleading just lead to battles because you WANT them to eat something. Just serve and clear.

I do make sure there is one "safe" food at each meal so my picky eater eats something. Once they have a bit of their 'safe' food in their belly to take off the edge of hunger they are a bit more willing to eat other foods. I also make the kids stay ta the table until the meal is done. So they are stuck sitting, watching their friend eat everything...which helps them eventually try things.

If the child is eating at snacks they will not starve by skipping lunch. The child will not starve by skipping lunch and snacks...they will eat eventually, even if it means in the car on the way home when the parents gives them their favorite snacks to make them happy.

Crayola kiddies
10-06-2015, 02:22 PM
your job is to provide a well balanced meal and its the childs job to et it or not....give the child one bite of everything and if he eats great if not oh well he waits till the next meal time

33 Daiseys
10-06-2015, 08:32 PM
I don't play food games. I serve food , they get 20 minutes. If they haven't touched their plate i remove it, and they watch everyone else eat dessert, be it an apple, a cookies or a slice of double fudge cake.
The rule in my house is you eat what is served because you never know when a special dessert will happen. Also, I don't give second chances. If you choose not to eat lunch, and the cake comes out, there is no I want my lunch now.
I have had 4 very very picky eater come at 12 to 13 months and leave at 4 eating foods here that. they would never eat at home, and enjoy it.