PDA

View Full Version : More than 5 kids??

Julie5135
10-20-2015, 10:56 AM
At the moment I have 6 kids total in my care. This includes my 2 also. My one daughter is 4 and the other 7. So my 7 year old doesn't count right? That makes my number 5.

My question is.....All but one child attend school. During the day it is just me and an 18month old. Am I able to take in children (lets say 2) while the others are at school? They would be dropped off and picked up while the others are not in my care. There would be no over lap. Can I do this? During march break and PA days etc there would also be no over lap as the new children would not be here those days. I have past clients showing interest in returning and I think this is really all I can offer, but want to be sure before I do offer.
Thanks!!

babydom
10-20-2015, 11:04 AM
Yup. Your 7yr old doesn't count and yes you can take more kids in during the day unless u never have more then 5 and there is never an overlap :) you don't have to only have 5 register for daycare you can have 10 kids on your roster. Some school age, some partime. As long as only five or less are in the house at one time and u don't have any overlaps ur good :)

Lee-Bee
10-20-2015, 11:08 AM
I would just try to have the pick up of your daytime kiddos early enough that if the parents run late you don't end up over numbers briefly once the bus arrives.

Also, keep attendance records of who comes when as I believe they will ask for that if they do stop in to check up on you. A simple log of arrivals and exit times should be enough.

Julie5135
10-20-2015, 11:56 AM
Thank you both. The attendance is a great idea. I will definitely be doing that.

crayolamom
10-20-2015, 03:48 PM
No this is actually illegal. Your 7 year old doesn't count but you can't have 5 daycare and 5 school. I had an inspection with the ministry and 3 daycares in my area got shut down for this. I asked them even with an overlap would I be allowed and they said no as you never know if you can be over numbers if a parent is late or if something happens.

Lee-Bee
10-20-2015, 05:54 PM
No this is actually illegal. Your 7 year old doesn't count but you can't have 5 daycare and 5 school. I had an inspection with the ministry and 3 daycares in my area got shut down for this. I asked them even with an overlap would I be allowed and they said no as you never know if you can be over numbers if a parent is late or if something happens.

I would want this in writing from the officials. My understanding is that they can limit us for number of children in care at one point in time but they really can't limit us with how many are enrolled.

They can show up and fine us if parents were late...hence my suggesting to leave a good buffer to prevent overlap but they can't penalize us for who isn't in our care at any given time.

I don't doubt you were told this but I do doubt the validity behind it. I suspect it was just misunderstood or it was that persons personal opinion.

babydom
10-20-2015, 06:12 PM
Yes. When I spoke to them they said it be risky cuz if they come and ur caught in an overlap then u get fined. But it's not illegal. Only having over five at one time is illegal. It says no where in the bill that you can not have over five on a roster. Maybe that person was misinformed but that is what I was told. To the OP call them.... 1-844-516-6263. To ask them. And whatever they say tell them to email their response to you so you have it on file.

Julie5135
10-21-2015, 09:56 AM
Thank you. I will have to get something in writing. I didn't see anything in the bill either about having only 5, but I also didn't see it say that we could have kids on the roster. That's why I was not sure. I appreciate all you help.

I did use to have more than the number allowed before the bill. I was inspected and all was fine as there was no overlap in times.....just didn't see any update since the bill passed.

Van
10-21-2015, 04:18 PM
I keep attendance sheet that I fill in and I also get the parents to sign in and out a drop off and pick-up time so it is all ready to show the license inspector when they arrive that might help some home daycare to show to your inspectors

5 Little Monkeys
10-21-2015, 08:21 PM
I've never heard of not being allowed more than your number on your roster....just never over at any one time.

I think if you do this though, it really needs to be stressed to the parents that they can NOT be late as it puts you at risk for being shut down or fined. I wouldn't even bother with a late fee in this situation, it would be late once they are termed as you can't take that risk. Give 30 minutes in between just in case though and you should be fine!

happy_hugs
10-22-2015, 07:11 AM
I thought it was you can't have over five children not including your own children but maybe it varies provincially.

babydom
10-22-2015, 07:18 AM
In Ontairo u can't have more then five including your own under age six. Once a your kids are six yrs they don't count in your numbers anymore