PDA

View Full Version : How to give references when you're a new provider?

2angels
11-19-2011, 11:22 PM
I'll be opening a daycare soon and am doing all my preparations now. I just discovered this forum - what a wealth of information! Definitely has got me thinking how I will run my daycare!

Since I'm new, how do I give potential families references and/or market my background/qualifications? I have 2 children of my own (3 & 5). My background is a corporate position with a financial company. Any tips/suggestions?

Skysue
11-20-2011, 10:24 AM
I'll be opening a daycare soon and am doing all my preparations now. I just discovered this forum - what a wealth of information! Definitely has got me thinking how I will run my daycare!

Since I'm new, how do I give potential families references and/or market my background/qualifications? I have 2 children of my own (3 & 5). My background is a corporate position with a financial company. Any tips/suggestions?

Hi,

In your case you give character references, people that can say how well you are with kids and how well you are at multi tasking etc.

When I started out I used friends and my sister as I helped her a lot with her 4 kids.

I also used my daughter’s former daycare provider as she could vouch for my parenting style, as you will want parents with your same vales and style of discipline.

2angels
11-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Thank you Skysue. I have not watched other kids before, but can definitely use friends and former caregivers.

Spixie33
11-21-2011, 11:45 AM
I did the same thing as you...
I mean...I babysat when I was young and I had my own to kids that are well taken care of but I didn't take ECE in school and I was working in the corporate/sales world before I decided to become a provider.
I was so worried that people would ask for references
I was honest and answered parent questions honestly and told them I don't have any references if they asked me.

Some interviews were very hung up on whether I had ECE or not (which I don't) so those didn't work out.

But mostly I had my house set up, I had a great contract and documentation ready, and I had my first aid and police check.

Really the First Aid is paramount, your confidence and way with kids

I also took a daycare course through my region. Check your paper or goggle and see if any courses are offered for home daycare providers in your area. Telling parents that I had taken a 4 month course for home daycare providers also put parents at ease that I was getting informed and taking care of children seriously.

Don't sweat the references too much.

Play and Learn
11-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Really the First Aid is paramount, your confidence and way with kids

I would have the Standard First Aid and Level C CPR - I feel that having the CPR is crucial just incase a child is choking, etc.

Spixie33
11-21-2011, 11:53 AM
I would have the Standard First Aid and Level C CPR - I feel that having the CPR is crucial just incase a child is choking, etc.

Sorry I should have been more specific. I meant first aid in a way to encompass everything but technically yes, it should be a course that does first aid and CPR and infant CPR etc.

horsegirl
11-21-2011, 06:12 PM
I call myself an Early Learning Caregiver (ELC) and parents have never questioned this. I do not have my ECE. I have a preschool type program in the mornings, reading, crafts, circle time and different stations for learning. I agree you need to have your child safe first aid, a criminal record search, and taking any child development courses is important to parents. Have letters of reference from neighbours or friends who have children and have them note how you interact with the children. Put your principles in writing, how you feel about caring for children and let the parents read this. I have policies for many situations that may arise in the daycare and parents feel comforted when they see them, knowing that I put a lot of work into my business. The best thing to do is sound very sure of yourself and you will succeed.