PDA

View Full Version : Teacher families...

Cocoon
11-20-2011, 10:05 AM
What do you do interms of holidays? I had my second interview with a family where mom is a teacher. It went really well. She asked me what Is my approach for teacher families as she has 2 months holidays in July and in August. I told her if parents go away and I'm available I would expect to be paid and I have a business to run and a mortgage to pay.

My mentality is, if they go away they should still pay as I don't want to suffer while they are enjoying their holidays. Why would I be the one paying for this loss? Altho, I do understand that they don't want to paid for the childvare where they can look after their kids. But again I have a business to run and expenses to paid.

Now my question is do you have teacher families? How do you work out holidays?

I'm thinking of offering them 6 months contract only and then they can take their holidays but I can not guarantee a place for them when they are back.

Also is it difficult to find families who require 2 months care only during the summer? She said there are families who only need summer care and it shouldnt be difficlut to fill those 2 months. If that was the case I can do it but I don't want do count on that.

I would appreciate your inputs on this.
Thank you.
Cocoon

playfelt
11-20-2011, 12:44 PM
It is easy to fill the summer months if you are willing to take school age kids who of course are also out of school. Problem is you will end up with kids not used to being with little ones all day and expecting to go on outings, the park, be outside etc all day and that doesn't fit with infant nap schedules.

What I do with teachers is charge them more during the school year ($200 week including Christmas and March breaks instead of the regular $185) but then let them have the summer off with the privelege of bringing the child one day a week (day of my choice). They also pay for the first two weeks of Sept before they leave in June. Then if they dont' return it is a lost deposit. What this does is also prevent the teacher that says they will leave the child for the summer and then come June change their minds (or tell you the truth which is they never intended child to stay). Also charging more during the year works better as some teachers are paid only for the 10 months but make extra as in their summer pay is spread out whereas some school boards pay 12 times and the teachers get a pay in the summer.

For a teacher that insists no way are they paying then they are given a Sept to June contract at my regular rates, have to pay for Christmas and March breaks but can also send child if they want some catch up around the house time. But I make it clear that I will then start to advertise to fill an opening for July. They may luck out and find that I have a child leaving over the summer to start school and be able to have that space the following Sept but of course that is never a sure thing.

It comes down to the teacher not being able to have everything they want. They want the security of their child having the same daycare provider throughout preschool but not willing to pay for it.

Cocoon
11-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Thank you playfelt.

I will be charging them for $1000 per month(full time) but I will only look after 2 kids at any giving time. They know that their children will get more one on one and personilized care. Parents are very happy with this especially, when they have small kids as they need more attention and care. It's like having a nanny.

Two months cut is a bit too much for me as I will only be relaying on one part time income.

fruitloop
11-20-2011, 06:45 PM
For my teacher families, I charge them full fees for their shorter breaks...like Christmas, Spring break, etc. and over the summer months they pay half fees to keep their spot for the fall and I allow them a certain number of days/month for their half fees.

Cocoon
11-21-2011, 12:04 PM
I think I will do a 6 months contract until the end of June. And when they come back in September if I have a space for them then I will take them on if not I won't.

Judy Trickett
11-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Any teacher I have had in care before I had pay $5 more per day. And that gave them all school holidays off with no pay and no care. AND, I make them pay me a new deposit every June that holds their spot again for Sept. If they don't return in Sept then they forfeit the deposit.

Also, if they DO want the occassional day of care over the summer or school breaks they pay additional fees for that.

Cocoon
11-21-2011, 12:30 PM
What do you do with the previous years' deposit if you don't mind me asking? Give them back to families at the end of the contract or you don't get last 2 weeks payment and use the deposit to cover the last 2 weeks payments?

Thank you.

Sandbox Sally
11-21-2011, 12:45 PM
I do the same as fruitloop. Full fees every week, regardless of attendance (I do this for every family, mind you), and teachers pay half fees during the summer months.

Cocoon
11-21-2011, 12:58 PM
What if they say "OK. we will take the risk of loosing the place and don't want to pay half during summer" ?

Play and Learn
11-21-2011, 01:04 PM
What do you do with the previous years' deposit if you don't mind me asking? Give them back to families at the end of the contract or you don't get last 2 weeks payment and use the deposit to cover the last 2 weeks payments?

Thank you.
For the 2-week deposit - I use it for their first 2-weeks of care - the Trial Period.

Play and Learn
11-21-2011, 01:05 PM
What if they say "OK. we will take the risk of loosing the place and don't want to pay half during summer" ?

Then that's their choice. They risk not having a space available.

Cocoon
11-21-2011, 01:16 PM
What I meant was, If they say "we will take the risk" should I still charge more then the other families until summer holidays?

fruitloop
11-21-2011, 02:25 PM

Then I advertise to fill their spot for July 1. I don't hold spots for free EVER!

Judy Trickett
11-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Then I advertise to fill their spot for July 1. I don't hold spots for free EVER!

Yep. I would make SURE that spot were filled for September entry. If you want a spot then you PAY for it or it will be GONE!

Cocoon
11-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Should I charge more then the other families until summer holidays then?

playfelt
11-21-2011, 03:51 PM
My teachers have two choices. If they pay the regular fee then the contract ends in June and I start advertising in January to fill the space as of July 1 which if you advertise far enough in advance it is usually possible to get someone that wants to start over the summer as in come Sept the space would have been filled. If they pay the higher rate the space is held till June with the option of returning in Sept (the higher fee covers part of the summer for me) and the space is only held for Sept if they pay the deposit of two weeks. My deposit goes towards the first two weeks of care not the last.

Cocoon
11-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Thank you all. This is what I was thinking of offering them. Either, they pay normal fee until end of June but no guaranteed space for September. OR they will pay higher rate but will secure a place when they come back from holiday.

Thank you all again.
Cocoon

playfelt
11-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Make sure you make them pay something for September. The problem with them being off all summer is that they are out and about and it is quite likely the more time they spend at the neighbourhood park they will meet other caregivers or their child will become friends with a another child whose caregiver could take her and there is a great risk they won't return in Sept even though they said they wanted to. Again speaking from experience here which is why my rules for teachers changed.

fruitloop
11-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Make sure you make them pay something for September. The problem with them being off all summer is that they are out and about and it is quite likely the more time they spend at the neighbourhood park they will meet other caregivers or their child will become friends with a another child whose caregiver could take her and there is a great risk they won't return in Sept even though they said they wanted to. Again speaking from experience here which is why my rules for teachers changed.

Exactly this! This is why if you are going to charge a higher fee for them through the year, that you need to charge them a deposit for Sept....or...charge regular fees through the year and get them to pay something over the summer to hold their spot.

playfelt
11-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Before I changed my policy I did charge a holding fee over the summer but insisted the child come one day a week or two part days to assure that the child progressed along with the group and the parent liked it because it gave them one day a week to do their own thing and they were paying for it anyways. My main reason was partly so the parent couldn't undo all my rules over the summer but it was more to keep me and the parent and child in contact all summer. It is harder to hide that you are planning to make changes if you see the caregiver and you chat about things including the coming year all summer long.