PDA

View Full Version : Adhd

daycaremom9
11-20-2011, 02:44 PM
I have a new 3 year old boy that has been diagnosed with ADHD, Post-Traumatic
Stress and Attachment insecurity. Any ideas people? His living arrangements have recently changed so I believe his issues may be increased tenfold. These new living arrangements, I believe, will be more stable but also a stress for him.

Skysue
11-20-2011, 03:32 PM
I have a new 3 year old boy that has been diagnosed with ADHD, Post-Traumatic
Stress and Attachment insecurity. Any ideas people? His living arrangements have recently changed so I believe his issues may be increased tenfold. These new living arrangements, I believe, will be more stable but also a stress for him.

Sorry I would say terminate as there aggression can be really bad. It ususally begins after 3 weeks once they know there limits, they will start testing you. Sorry I don't want to sound negative but I have been there a few times now.

The best advice I can give you is routine, routine, routine! Also ensure that he gets a lot of physical activity as he can't sit still for to long do do his ADHD. He will need a lot of attention and extreme positive reinforcment. Too much noise and stimulation can be too much for him as well.

Good luck!

mom-in-alberta
11-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Get online right now and find out as much as you can about those issues. You may be able to work with this; but only if the parents/guardians are completely upfront and willing to communicate and work together.
Ask them what typical behaviour is for him, both positive and negative. Ask what coping skills they have. Does he require a certain diet? There are many foods that are NOT recommended for kids with ADHD.
Absolutely agree that routine, and short bursts of activities will be best. Do not expect him to sit and color for an hour like some kids will do. However, set up the expectations of the home in terms of treating other people, and objects etc respectfully. A diagnosis of ADHD is not a free pass to destroy things or be aggressive with other people.
I had a family last year not even tell me that their child was on medication for his behaviour. Poor kid, his parents were in such denial that he wasn't getting the support necessary. I was not sorry to see him go.

daycaremom9
11-27-2011, 01:48 AM
Thanks Skysue; without your input I would have never been able to withdraw care.
I was stressing so much I'm glad that I informed the parents right away.It would have been hard to do that once the boy was here for awhile.

Skysue
11-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks Skysue; without your input I would have never been able to withdraw care.
I was stressing so much I'm glad that I informed the parents right away.It would have been hard to do that once the boy was here for awhile.

It's never easy terminating care but if it's upsetting to our whole day plus everyone else it just isn't fare to us or the poor child. Just curious why was the poor child experiancing post dramatic stress disorder?

daycaremom9
12-04-2011, 01:28 AM
So sorry it took me so long to reply Skysue. The boy was physically and mentally abused by his mother. He was also bounced around by his father; so no stable home life.

Skysue
12-04-2011, 09:10 AM
That is so sad :(. Poor little man, was he in fostercare or lving with grandparents. What this poor child needs is to be in a stable home with the same people at all times. He must have felt abandond being left in daycare?

Daymama
12-04-2011, 10:44 AM
I've been in a similar situation and bleieve you made the right choice. I hope the little boy finds a situation where he can get the support he needs. Given the circumstances and diagnosis, he may need extra attention and an aide, even. In Alberta, a child with special needs can get a double spot in a daycare or agency dayhome so that he can get extra attention (the extra spot paid by the government). Hopefully, a situation such as that can be found for him. It is hard to let a little guy who needs love so much go, but even more he needs to be somewhere where care providers are given tools and support to care for him.

daycaremom9
12-04-2011, 10:48 AM
His dad had custody but left child with many different people as I understand it. He is now living with his paternal aunt; hopefully permanent. His dad's intentions are to move to Nova Scotia and when he gets settled to get his son back. I know, it sounds like a really bad idea. He definitely needs consistency in his life.

jewel1122
12-21-2011, 12:15 PM
There are many different types of ADHD it doesnt always mean hiper or out of control :) My step daughter has it and honestly to spend a day with her you wouldnt really know that she has it I also care for an 8yr old that has it somedays he can be very hiper an hard to handle but he loves to draw and do crafts and he will actually do it for hours if you let him lol. Then you get some like one i had about 2yrs ago i beleive he was 6 and i had to terminate before someone ended up badly hurt some days he was fine and other days so out of control you couldnt do anything with him an he would beat on the other children he didnt last long here the child honestly scared me
If you dont really know alot about ADHAreally sit down an doing some searching about it youll be suprised at all the stuff youll find out lol but the best thing i can tell you is make a routine for all the children an stick to it dont treat the child any different from the others and keep things organized so that everything is easy to find it helps them alot i know with me step daughter she has to have everything organized if she cant find something it will throw her off although i must say she is a great help with the house work lmao :)
Good Luck with what ever you decide

mtampier
02-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Moving can definitely affect children's propensity to ADHD, as identified in http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/opinion/sunday/childrens-add-drugs-dont-work-long-term.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss

There is a Facebook group looking for members from among professionals and concerned Canadians in order to identify alternative (non-drug) treatments in Canada:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/108979585892302/

Momof4
02-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Oh that poor little guy, that makes me sick to my stomach. You are a wonderful woman to help him to live a happy, normal life and with patience and consistency in his life you may set him on the right road and teach him that women are not all scary, but kind and loving. It's never too late to save a child.

I have no other advice because the other ladies have given it. I just wanted to say that my son had ADHD and now as an adult he is coping very well and is a very creative marketing executive in Toronto. When he was small I controlled his diet to help him feel good, no sugar or food dyes of any kind and it helped. As he grew older he learned to write everything down to keep his thoughts straight and to curb his forgetfullness and lack of concentration skills. All of this took him far in life all the way to university and a successful career.