PDA

View Full Version : Only an hour nap?

momma2two
11-10-2015, 01:23 PM
Recently took a new DCB into care and he only naps about an hour to an hour and a half max per day. He's 12 months old and I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do. He is very very disruptive when he wakes up and wakes everyone else up. Ive never had any issues with 12 months olds not wanting to nap. Any words of advise would be great! If he has a morning nap he sleeps 40mins and then may nap 30mins in the afternoon. Please help! making for long days!

mickyc
11-10-2015, 01:36 PM
Cut out morning nap, put him in a different room. My new girl who started in sept only napped an hour -hour and a half for mom at home. It took about a month for her to get on our routine. I let her cry it out. Now she sleeps the full 2-2.5 hours.

I had a boy once that no matter what was up after an hour. Drove me nuts. I would just sit down and he would wake up. I just let him come sit on the couch with books and he was fine. Luckily he only stayed for 3 months but it was a long 3 months

5 Little Monkeys
11-10-2015, 01:46 PM
I don't believe in cutting out morning naps completely just so they sleep longer in the afternoon IF a morning nap is still needed. You could try phasing the morning nap out and see if he can make it until afternoon nap and hopefully he naps your full time like the other kids. If you find that he's still tired, cranky, whiny, cries before lunch etc, than I would suggest putting him down for a quick 20-30 mins right when he gets to daycare and see if that helps. I've done this in the past and always woke them before 930. This helped with their crankiness/tiredness but still gave a few hours to play hard and tire out again before afternoon nap. I have a 2.5 year old who still sometimes needs a 10-15 catnap when she's cranky and still sleeps 2 hours in the afternoon.

Good luck!

momma2two
11-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Yeah I have phased out the morning nap since last week thinking it would help but still only an hour and i think maybe twice he's napped an hour and a half. If I get him up from nap he still cries and whines and wakes the rest of the kids up with his shriek of a cry.

mickyc
11-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Give it time. My new little one took almost a month. I think she was used to mom going in when she cried. Once she realized I wasn't coming in she stayed sleeping

torontokids
11-10-2015, 02:14 PM
Give it time. My new little one took almost a month. I think she was used to mom going in when she cried. Once she realized I wasn't coming in she stayed sleeping

Agree with this. They eventually just learn how long nap time is and their bodies adjust. I find that sometimes if a parent gets them when they cry after one sleep cycle then they are just trained to wake up. I train them all to sleep the whole nap period.

5 Little Monkeys
11-10-2015, 02:14 PM
Is there a room you can put him in? Shut the door, put a towel near the bottom if there's an opening, put a noise machine in his room (the other kids too!) and let him CIO? It might take awhile but he should hopefully learn how to self soothe soon and go back to sleep?

torontokids
11-10-2015, 02:18 PM
I also find alot of kids these days are just over tired and therefore don't sleep well when it's time to.

Van
11-10-2015, 05:03 PM
I have a child that started in Oct and Mom said she only sleeps for an hour than sleeps all night so I was not looking forward to nap time - but it took a month and she did sleep for longer as Mickyc said so hold on

Lee-Bee
11-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Many kids are only capable to sleep one sleep cycle because that is all they do at home. Parents rush in and haven't allowed the child to learn how to go back to sleep. They ping awake after one sleep cycle and are used to that being all. It takes lots of time to untrain that. It is the best thing you can do for a child.

It baffles me why families that claim to want only the best for their child and smoother then with everything but then have zero expectations for sleep...which along with food is just so incredibly essential for brain development, growth and behavior. Gahhhhhh

momma2two
11-10-2015, 05:27 PM
I couldn't agree more! This family has 2 older children as well so the baby has always just been carted around with no real schdeule mainly napping in the vehicle.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice! I think we will just have to wait it out. :)

momma2two
11-18-2015, 06:43 PM
Ugh..still no progress. This baby just doesn't want to nap. Makes for extremely long days with nothing getting done during nap time. Today's nap was for 20mins in the vehicle on the way to the library. Do you guys go back in and check them when they're crying or do you just let them full on CIO? Ive for music playing in the other rooms so the other children are now finally sleeping through the noise but I feel guilty that he's so upset.

mickyc
11-18-2015, 09:07 PM
Totally CIO! My newest child took a couple weeks to get over it. It's hard to listen to but you can't go in. They eventually get that you aren't coming and go to sleep. Also don't let them sleep in the vehicle!

5 Little Monkeys
11-18-2015, 10:44 PM
What have you tried in the past week? Did napping him first thing in the morning help? Even if he doesn't nap right away, keep doing it and just let him CIO. Take him out after 20-30 mins and He'll get used to it and eventually have a catnap. This should allow him to have enough energy to have a good morning and go down for afternoon nap without being overtired and cranky

I've got one who instantly falls asleep in the car so I understand that it can be hard to stop that but I try every time to wake her. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't lol.

momma2two
11-19-2015, 06:14 AM
I have cut out morning naps completely since if he has a morning nap even for 15-20mins there is no way he will go down at all in the afternoon. He will cry the whole duration of nap time without any give in the crying. I have been going back in every so often to reposition him back down and telling him its nap time. If he doesn't nap in the morning he'll nap but it seems to get shorter and shorter everyday. Parents aren't really concerned with him not napping they say he always naps for them in the vehicle whenever they go anywhere. :cursing: which makes it hard for us to have outings because he's so in tuned to napping in a moving vehicle or on walks in the stroller.