PDA

View Full Version : How far apart to start new kids?

MommaL
11-12-2015, 03:25 PM
When opening a new daycare, how far apart should one bring in kids? For example, if the plan is to have 5 children, should they all start around the same time or should I spread it out (and by how much)?

babydom
11-12-2015, 03:36 PM
It's up to you nd what u can handle. I start all at the same time. I have had two start at the same time it doesn't matter to me. But some prefer to get one in and settle over a couple of wks or a mth. Then introduce another new child in.

Van
11-12-2015, 03:55 PM
2 new kids is my limit at one time as 3 seems too many

kindertime
11-12-2015, 04:39 PM
When I started, I had one by herself for almost a month before the other 5 started. Then they all came the same week. It was chaotic! I wasn't new to looking after kids, but new to running the show myself. And I did things that I quickly realised were not working. Like letting them play in the sleep room during the morning. I soon put a stop to that because then would play in there instead of napping too. Live and learn. Now I like to stagger start days. Our routine is well established, (10 years in) but I am finding more of the kids have a longer transition period so it helps to space them out.

Suzie_Homemaker
11-12-2015, 05:18 PM
When I started, I had two come same day but phased others two week apart. Now, I prefer to stagger start date but if it September replacing aging out child, sometime that not possible. I wouldn't like more than 2 to start same day, I think.

Busy ECE mommy
11-12-2015, 06:15 PM
I once did (2) 12 month olds eaxctly at the same time. It was horrendous! They were supposed to be 2 weeks apart, but one parent moved the start date. Never again! It depends on the age of the kids, and if they've had previous daycare experience with routines/separation etc. I'd stagger them by 2 weeks if possible.

5 Little Monkeys
11-12-2015, 06:56 PM
When I first opened, 3 started at same time but one I had previously nannied for so it wasn't too bad. The 4th came a bit later. It was chaotic but they were also young and it was winter. It was hard to get outside :(

Now, I normally only have to transition one at a time when a spot opens up

mickyc
11-12-2015, 09:24 PM
I started with all mine at the exact same time. Worked out fine

Crayola kiddies
11-13-2015, 07:38 AM
I would stagger about a month apart

playfelt
11-13-2015, 08:25 AM
I just go by when I have an opening and can fill it. I would rather have a few chaotic days then lose a family who really couldn't wait another week to start. It will always be crazy when a new child starts and upsets the group dynamics.

At the same time now that I have many years experience it is easier to make the changes and let them start as needed. When first starting out I would take it slow and do two at a time then add in another one about 3 weeks apart till you are full. Then you will get used to that group and able to change them out as needed.

5 Little Monkeys
11-14-2015, 10:16 PM
Funny how quickly you forget things...

I thought my 4th child came a few weeks, even a month later but according to fb memories, day 3 I had 4 kids!! Lol. No wonder I remember it being chaotic though lol