PDA

View Full Version : Conjunctivitis

ebhappydc
11-17-2015, 01:12 PM
Hi - i sent a child home today with pink eye. Am I obligated to tell the other parents at pick up time? So they watch for it in their kids? Or is it a privacy thing to disclose something about another child? Tx! Off to disinfect everything...

Suzie_Homemaker
11-17-2015, 01:15 PM
I tell parent. I find with pink eye, taking the over counter drop preventing potential spread, big help. Nothing to do with privacy, just say "a day care child been confirmed with pink eye" then sign to watch for, exclusion policy and can suggest taking drop in hope of avoiding.

5 Little Monkeys
11-17-2015, 01:26 PM
I tell parents whenever anything possibly contagious is going around. It helps if they're aware and can monitor their child for same symptoms. You don't have to name the child, although I'm sure they'll figure it out when little jinny isn't at dc tomorrow

mickyc
11-17-2015, 01:40 PM
I always tell all parents if something is going around. Sometimes symptoms are caught quicker if they know what to watch for

babydom
11-17-2015, 03:35 PM
I also tell the parents.

Lee-Bee
11-17-2015, 03:55 PM
A big part of small group care is being able to be given that heads up when something is going around. Don't name the child but note what has been observed and what signs to look out for.

Busy ECE mommy
11-17-2015, 04:27 PM
I always tell parents if it's something potentially contagious. I don't name the child, just the symptoms to watch for.

ebhappydc
11-18-2015, 01:37 PM
Okay, so now 2 kids have been sent home. One parent texted that she cannot get eye drops into her screaming toddler's eyes... Any tips??? Tx bunches

torontokids
11-18-2015, 01:54 PM
just pin them down, heh heh...that's what i do!

I will often count to 3 but do the drop on 2

MommaL
11-18-2015, 02:06 PM
I've heard that doing it while the child sleeps works like a charm. Otherwise, even if you can get a drop in the corner of their eye (if they are refusing to open it), it will go into their eye as soon as they open it.

babywhisperer
11-18-2015, 04:28 PM
Have the child lie on the floor, kneel by their head. Gently hold there head between your knees. Tell them to close their eyes, put drops in the inside corner of eyes. Then say "look at mommy" :) The drops slide in! You may need to hold their hands away too. Takes some co-ordination, but it works!

Lee-Bee
11-18-2015, 04:37 PM
Yes, have them lie down. Have them close their eye (leave it open if they will) put the drop in the corner of the eye by the bridge of the nose. Keep them lying down for a few minutes (after they first open the eyes). The drops will go in and spread. try not to let them sit up or rub for a few minutes.

This what what the doctor I used to work for suggested. It does work great. Works for adults too :-)

Van
11-18-2015, 05:00 PM
Be careful that you also don;t get it as it can be passed on to adults , make sure you don't touch or rub your eyes