PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on how to deal with a new client...

MunchkinMinder
11-21-2011, 11:10 AM
So I need a little advice on how to proceed...

I have a set of siblings who started today...the kids are overall fairly good and should be a fine fit once settled into the routine...The mom on the other hand I'm starting to think might be a whole other ball game :( I had agreed to a slightly lower monthly fee in exchange for her supplying the kids food which she asked me to write up a list and she would buy foods that fit into my meal plans this morning she shows up with 3 items off my list and a handful of random items like pudding, jello, juice, etc. which I don't serve to the kids at all. Then an hour and a half after dropping the kids off she e-mails me asking to change our payment agreement to fit her pay days better and if I agreed I would go from being paid in advance to after the fact.

I have a clause in my handbook about termination and one of the reasons for immediate termination is false information given either verbally or in writing. Would you consider it the mom providing false information by her signing the payment agreement and agreeing to provide all her children's food following a shopping list provided by me then turning around and on the first day going back on it all? I am seriously considering cutting my loses now before I get burned too badly! Thoughts??

I am getting a whole slue of red flags going up and I'm just wondering should I just cut my loses now or tuff it out and see where it goes?

P.S.- I have already e-mailed her back and told her that I am not willing to change our payment agreement that she had already agreed to. I feel that if she wasn't able to live up to the agreement then she should have been upfront with me and I have no idea what to do about the food situation :unsure:

Play and Learn
11-21-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm guessing you have a trial period? If so, Term ASAP! She wants SPECIAL. Hell, just TERM HER ASS NOW!!!!

MunchkinMinder
11-21-2011, 11:56 AM
That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if her agreeing to the payment and groceries agreement then "deciding" that she couldn't follow it constituted as false info given for me to be able to term immediately as per my clause of my handbook. What do you think Play and Learn?

Judy Trickett
11-21-2011, 11:59 AM
The payment thing would be a deal breaker for me. I would just plain old tell her NO to that. I wouldn't give an explanation or anything. It's just the way it is. Period.

The food thing...this is why I will not do SPECIAL for anyone. You either want the care I offer as it is offered or this is not the right daycare for you. Every time you do SPECIAL it just turns into complicated.

MunchkinMinder
11-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Ya I am thinking I'm just going to terminate her based on the payment thing and say that I feel that she provided false info when she agreed to the payments and so on then turned around on the first day and tried to change it all.

sunnydays
11-21-2011, 12:28 PM
That is why I don't allow parents to send food for their kids (with the exception of baby food)...it just causes problems and will be a constant back and forth. If it were me, I would just give her a flat no on the payment change and see how she reacts. If she accepts to follow the plan she signed and also stick to your list of foods, then give her a chance. How long is your trial period?

playfelt
11-21-2011, 12:43 PM
I would be applying back saying there can be no change to the payment schedule because you need payment in advance to purchase for the week of care. Also since she failed to provide a proper meal for her children as negotiated you now have no choice but to insist that the children will be fed by the caregiver eating the same meal as the other children in care and that the new fee effective whatever date will be ...... She is the one that brought up reopening the contract so if she complains then tell her that. Also that you not charging for food assumed she was providing a balanced meal for her children and since that did not happen then the privilege of sending the food instead of paying is no longer an option.

Sandbox Sally
11-21-2011, 12:51 PM
I totally agree with playfelt. Tell her payment up front, and no more special foods, as she went back on her word from day one. Of course, this means she will now pay full fees, as you are providing food. This may send her running for the hills without you having to terminate. If not, maybe it means she's more flexible after all.

Play and Learn
11-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Agree with Playfelt & alphaghetti. No more special. Means that she broke the trust as she didn't provide a nutritious meal.

She doesn't like it, you can show her the door.

MunchkinMinder
11-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Ya I'm going to show her the door...thanks ladies!

Cocoon
11-21-2011, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't agree on food thing at all. I cook using my ingredients and I would give the same food for all the kids in my care. How can I give jelly to 1 kid and not to the other one? That is not fair at all!

In terms of payment, if she already agreed and sign the contract she should abide. IF she wasn't happy with the payment she should have mentioned this at the interview. She seems like a difficult/bossy parent.

horsegirl
11-21-2011, 05:59 PM
This is the reason I have parents send all snacks and lunches. This way the child gets food that they like and I don't have to put up with parents wanting to run my business. I think showing her the door is the right thing to do. Do not let anyone try to tell you what they want, this is your business and you have worked hard to set it up. The grocery store wouldn't lower the cost of an item to fit the customers needs why should you.

mom-in-alberta
12-01-2011, 01:39 AM
Ick... I don't mean to be judge-ey... but this one seems like she is going to be an issue in other areas.
Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say.

dodge__driver11
12-01-2011, 06:17 AM
Please keep us posted on her reaction (well mostly me) I'd liike to know...teehee