PDA

View Full Version : Less is More!

ebhappydc
11-30-2015, 06:58 AM
Hi - Last week I had to sterilize most of the toys and everything in the daycare due to conjunctivitis that was going around. I normally rotate a bunch of toys anyway every two weeks, but I noticed last week when there were half of what I normally have in the daycare, the kids played just as well and guess what? They didn't miss all the stuff plus clean up at the end of the day was soooo much easier. So, I guess this post is just to advise check out how much toy clutter you have and put half of it in the attic for now to rotate later...I found the kids were doing more imaginative play as well. My mother always told me kids just have way to much stuff/clutter in their space....back in the very olden days there would be only one car, or doll (homemade)to play with and that was it....so they had to use their imagination a lot. Well, I won't do that, but I found less really is more!

babydom
11-30-2015, 07:08 AM
Yes I do the same :). My garage is stocked full. Lol. I rotate toys every mth or two mths. And don't keep a lot out. I found they just dumped and ran. They floor was constantly covered and they would only play with a few toys not everything on the floor. It was just all in their way and clean up was insane. Now it's better and they use their imagination a lot more too which I love! :)

5 Little Monkeys
11-30-2015, 08:26 AM
Yup, I agree!! I have spare toys tucked in every open spot and I do toy rotations as needed. Sometimes if I'm lazy, I just bring new toys out without putting other things away but quickly realize that's a mistake!! They just get too overwhelmed with so many options and don't actually play with the toys, just make a mess and fight lol. Once I put some items away, their free play goes smoother again and they actually play with the toys and use their imaginations again

Suzie_Homemaker
11-30-2015, 09:33 AM
I do same. For safety as well as keep interest.

Side question :- Do you not sterilize every night (wipes/spray) and big disinfect of everything (soak in bleach solution) weekly?

ebhappydc
11-30-2015, 09:59 AM
I do same. For safety as well as keep interest.

Side question :- Do you not sterilize every night (wipes/spray) and big disinfect of everything (soak in bleach solution) weekly?

Yes with a mild soap after daycare closes. But not as much with bleach solution which I will start doing now weekly. It'll be easier with less toys. And last week I did every square inch including walls and cupboards but I don't usually do that daily. I do know now that pink eye has been going around in the schools here in my area. I was also forgetting to wash the kids' hands as soon as they come in the door which I'm doing now for sure. Hard to escape those germs tho. One cough and they're everywhere again.

Suzie_Homemaker
11-30-2015, 10:09 AM
I see lot carer use soap or vinegar but clean and germ free not same. We have small house so family and daycare does overlap space. Germ free is important in close proximity.

I also find a pump sanitize at door help. At first have watch children as they think great fun to do lots and lots but in time, they learn do it when come in house and it useful for if they been washroom and I not able to go and check hand washed properly.

Crayola kiddies
11-30-2015, 10:32 AM
The more toys you have out he less they play with so yes less is more

5 Little Monkeys
11-30-2015, 11:24 AM
Weekly-biweekly clean/disinfection here for me (unless needed obviously). When I put toys away during rotation, they get both cleaned and disinfected so they're ready to come straight out to playroom next time as well

ebhappydc
11-30-2015, 12:13 PM
The more toys you have out he less they play with so yes less is more

...Hee-hee! You could look at it that way too!

crafty
11-30-2015, 12:40 PM
I so agree. I rotate the toys as well every month but I do it with the kiddies. I give them a bag and tell them to go around and chose toys they would like to exchange for "new ones" and make some sort of store. For every toy they exchange they can get one back of 5 small ones for 1 big one. They love it :) They go around my toy storage ( I call my toy dungeon) but it's actually very neatly and safely put away but we do have SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much right ?

As for cleaning I only use vinegar and tea tree oil and others I just throw in the dishwasher. I find it's safer and gets the job done and no rinsing required. I find we are way to afraid of germs too. I also have a "cleaning day" every month that I let the kids just play with soapy water and washcloths and clean out the toys themselves. Another great activity one of the favorites here actually.