PDA

View Full Version : Candy

Lee-Bee
12-02-2015, 07:18 AM
Sigh...it is December and DCG STILL arrives every morning with Halloween candy. Whether it be a half eaten thing of smarties (eaten in car on way over) or starburst or peanut butter cups ( today's special).

Like seriously I get letting your 3yr old have candy the morning after Halloween but we are talking 4 freaking weeks post Halloween.

Every single morning I say put it in your bag for later (as in, when you return home). This morning I told her to put it in her bag we don't eat candy in the morning it is very unhealthy. She gave a weird look and put it in her bag.

It is not a big deal, she's never complained about putting it away there are no tears or anything. I just find it beyond baffling.

Oh...yes, this is the family that only eats organic. The mom was proud to find metal straws so they didn't have to use plastic ones. I just can't help but laugh. I get organic, we buy a lot of organic but I want to scream it is healthier to eat pesticide laiden 'healthy' food than letting your child live on candy 24/7 and feeding nothing but crackers and bread. Gahhhhhhhhh

Ok...vent over!! I wish I got to have candy every single morning of my life too!

5 Little Monkeys
12-02-2015, 08:03 AM
I used to have one come in with candy every morning too after Halloween. I would either let him quickly finish it or throw it out (for suckers or gum) It must be all gone because I haven't seen any lately lol

mattsmom
12-02-2015, 08:52 AM
When I have kids show up with anything like that, I take it from them and give to mom or dad. I don't care if they have a fit right there in my front hall. I will be the one who has to deal with the sugar crash later in the day and the other children asking why they can't have that. Plus, I have told parents that I don't appreciate them coming first thing in the morning eating chocolate or candy. There's no need for it.

Lee-Bee
12-02-2015, 09:07 AM
I only have a few more weeks with the child (mom is pregnant and due soon). So not worth my effort to tell them not to bring candy. They have no control over the child...she does as she pleases and knows that they cant say no to her. She knows I run the show here and when she steps through my door she doesn't attempt to try and get her way. If she put up any fuss here on my end then I would be insisting they send her empty handed that's for sure!

She's shown up at the door with a half eaten purple Popsicle...that they let her eat in the car and somehow expected I would let her eat here in my house at 8am. She's shown up days in a row with canisters of cocoa powder (like the fair trade, organic really expensive cans) covered head to toe in powder because she would open them in the car. The parents just let her bring what she wants in the hope they can get her here with out a fuss. It would be more effort on everyone's part for me to tell them to step up and be the parent and take control.

My favorite is that the child gets to control her window in the car. She shows up wet from the rain or frozen in the cold mornings because she likes it open.

How I wish I could be a fly on their wall when baby #2 arrives!

Anyways...point of post was just to shake my head. How can they even have any candy at this point? The child was too scared to even go trick or treating so they have to be restocking it for her. Which I find even more baffling. If it isn't in the house she can't demand it all the time. Perhaps they all binge on it all day long.

kindertime
12-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Just something interesting... anyone familiar with Jamie Oliver? Several years ago, on one of his shows about healthy food, he was explaining about candy and the different ingredients. Apparently...the hard "sugar" shellac-like coating on candies like Smarties and Jelly beans, is, in part, made from ground-up insect shells. :unsure: I don't eat candy any more. :(

Lee-Bee
12-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Is it wrong of me to be so intrigued that I want to go buy some smarties so I can try and taste the bugs in them as I eat them? I mean, it is kind of cool! People eat bugs all over the world they can't be that bad!

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if you actually stop and read labels and research in detail I think a lot of what we eat is sources from things that would gross us out. Bread is usually made with formaldehyde...which I find odd as we use that on dead people.

kindertime
12-02-2015, 12:54 PM
Is it wrong of me to be so intrigued that I want to go buy some smarties so I can try and taste the bugs in them as I eat them?

Yup, wrong...LOL!

I googled it, its actually a bug excretion. I'm not sure that's better. :p

mickyc
12-02-2015, 02:25 PM
I tell parents when I interview that I do not want food brought in with child in the morning. I have a boy right now who will hold his morning gummy vitamins in his mouth all the way here! A few times now I have made him sit at the table to eat it.