PDA

View Full Version : Montessori Schools

happy_hugs
12-08-2015, 07:11 PM
What are your thoughts on Montessori Schools? What do you think about the new legislation of Montessori Schools in Ontario being required to have an RECE in each room with children who are under school age? Thoughts, experiences?

Lee-Bee
12-08-2015, 08:02 PM
I see many pros and cons in Montessori teaching, not really worth getting into here.

I see no reason at all that Montessori schools should be exempt from the DNA in their daycares. Just because they call themselves a school doesn't mean they should get around the rules of caring for daycare aged children.

Yes, I believe they should be required to have at least one RECE in each of their daycare rooms.

BlueRose
12-08-2015, 08:32 PM
I agree with Lee-Bee. A daycare is a daycare no matter its name. So yes they should be held to the same rules and have a RECE in each class room.

babydom
12-08-2015, 09:26 PM
Yup. Same. Agreed. Same rules across the whole board!!!

happy_hugs
12-09-2015, 05:32 PM
What do you think is the reason for requiring an RECE in each room? I think it's because we know the Day Nurseries Act. I find we basically act as an assistant and mostly do cleaning, food prep, diapering, toileting and an extra person for ratios. As an RECE are we supposed to teach the Montessori Teacher about the Day Nurseries Act or just follow directions and do as we are told? Or just speak up if we see they're doing something wrong according to the act?

Lee-Bee
12-09-2015, 08:26 PM
What do you think is the reason for requiring an RECE in each room? I think it's because we know the Day Nurseries Act. I find we basically act as an assistant and mostly do cleaning, food prep, diapering, toileting and an extra person for ratios. As an RECE are we supposed to teach the Montessori Teacher about the Day Nurseries Act or just follow directions and do as we are told? Or just speak up if we see they're doing something wrong according to the act?

Having an RECE goes beyond just knowing the DNA. It means the college of ECE's has confirmed you are a trained ECE, that your degree is from a legit place and you are current in your training.

It is the same as all teachers in schools having to be certified through the provincial college of Teacher's. They are trained and current. When being hired the schools can be assured they are legit.

Without RECE's in montessori schools the montessori school can hire anyone to care for and educate the children. They do not need to have any knowledge of children. RECE's know about child development, appropriate discipline, appropriate expectations, as well as all the safety factors.

I am not saying that all RECE's are worthy of being hired or that any non-RECE staff in Montessori schools are unworthy to be hired...but having an RECE in each room can help assure things run properly and smoothly for the child. It is just one measure we have in quality care.

That said the RECE should NOT be the photocopier and coffee runner. They should be an integral part of the program, planning curriculum, on the floor with children, in contact with the parents etc. Merely hiring them to meet requirements and not using them is just sad. It is kind of like having an ECE in every kindergarten classroom. Merely to say they have them but the teacher runs the show completely. Which is often what happens (gahhhh).

Out of curiosity why are you inquiring?