PDA

View Full Version : The one that drives us nuts.... (long rant)

JennJubie
12-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Do any of you ladies have that one child that makes you crazy??? I've got one right now... actually I've had this kiddo for a long time... He's 3.5. Now part of it is just a personality clash. Flat out just don't like this kiddo personality wise. It's nothing that can be helped, and I recognize it, so I have to work a little harder with this dkc. It happens.

The issue, however, is that this particular child is ALSO the one who after almost three years in my care: needs the most attention. If I talk to another adult, say my neighbour while we are at the bus stop, this dkc will holler my name over and over and get louder and louder. And when I tell dkc that we do not interrupt, dkc kid says "Oh.". The same happens when the other kids try to talk to me. If they're telling me something, or showing me something they built... this dkc will literally push the other kid out of the way, shove what he was doing in my face and start yelling for attention.

This is also the kid who constantly makes annoying noises. I thought it was just me being picky because of our personality clash, but the other kids have started begging dkc to "Stop!!!".

This is also the kid who will act out of control the minute his parents walk in the door. He starts deliberately disobeying, and when Mom or Dad are hugging him, or otherwise distracted, he will turn to me and smile. So I stamped that out real fast. He started getting time outs in front of his parents... and it seems to help a bit... but he will just keep pushing the limits. But only when his parents are here.

I fear that all of the little behaviour issues add up to a lack of structure and discipline at home... (They told me he was potty training, and then later admitted that they were doing none of it at home and leaving it all to me), and I'm afraid that this kid will just continue to drive me bonkers until September when he leaves for school.

Whew! Anyway.... thanks for letting me vent!

mickyc
12-11-2015, 02:02 PM
Oh yes! Had a few like that over the years

5 Little Monkeys
12-11-2015, 05:08 PM
Vent away!!

I have a 4 yo boy who is almost identical!! I enjoy him but he does all the same stuff lol. I sometimes feel bad telling him to stop with the noises or talking just to talk but my goodness, some days it's hard to concentrate with all the noise! He also has to know what we're doing every second of the day, what we're eating, where we're going, whose picking him up etc. Just recently, I think I figured out why though. He's been with me 1.5 years and has lived in 3 different homes and mom has had 3 different bf's (that I know about). I've probably been the most stable thing in his life. He knows the answer to most of his questions but I think he just likes to have that reassurance. Now that I realized that, I try not to let it bother me.....but come Friday's I need to remind myself lol.

Over the years I've definitely had kids with personalities that just didn't mesh well with mine. Like you said, it's normal!! I try to find at least one positive thing about the child (there's usually more) and focus on that. It's tough sometimes though!

Lee-Bee
12-11-2015, 07:35 PM
I think for these types of children (personality clashes etc) the time also makes it harder. I've had my little one for 2yrs this January and there are things that just drive me up the wall...and I think 2yrs of those personality quirks leaves a little less patience on my part. I find myself having silent mental talks all day. "She isn't trying to be annoying, she is only three, she doesn't know any better" on and on so i stay sane. But by the end of the day at the end of the week I admit I sometimes count the days till she moves on. Then I remind myself that the next kid will likely be a terror and I'll regret ever thinking it!

I suppose at the end of the day I would much rather have to put up with the annoying personality quirks of a fairly well behaved child then to start new with a child that is out of control and needs constant shadowing.

Van
12-12-2015, 06:04 PM
I have a child like that and this month is his last so he is not here often now and it feels like a holiday:) , it is funny how I did not notice how demanding this child was until now - I am sure the next one will be easier as he is a baby But you never know LOL