PDA

View Full Version : Gifts from parents

5 Little Monkeys
12-21-2015, 02:19 PM
Having no coworkers to share with, I thought we could share with each other some of our gifts we received. I never expect anything from them but am always so appreciative of what they choose to give me and shocked by their generosity!

This year I've received:

An owl blanket, owl coasters, owl mug with hot cocoa and $50 to a local restaurant from one (I'm a crazy owl lady lmao....however, I almost never buy owl things!! Everything was given to me)

2 butterfly houses (I've never heard of actually...do I put stuff in it to attract them??) and $50 to the keg from one

A bath soap and hand lotion package (vanilla bean, smells so good!) from one

I like to hear of what others get so what did you receive?? A friend of mine who isn't on here got $150 cash bonus from a family of hers and I thought that was just awesome!! She's newer to doing hdc and was so shocked to receive it and really appreciated it

superfun
12-21-2015, 08:37 PM
I got a card from one family, the child is only here once a month, and I'm sure money is tight for that family. On Friday, I had one family bring a gift for me and a gift for the daycare. The daycare gift was some crafts and stickers, and my gift had a movie gift card, a nice basket, hot chocolate and a mug, nice mittens, and tree ornaments. Another family got me a bag filed with chocolates and a liquor store gift card.
Two families haven't brought anything, but one mentioned she wanted to bring it tomorrow. Another family only started a week ago, so I bet they are still overwhelmed with starting work, and baby starting daycare, etc.

torontokids
12-21-2015, 08:46 PM
I don't think I'll be getting anything this year. With my closing, they have been focused on that, not the holidays. I did get a box of chocolates from one family and they brought something small for each child which was really thoughtful.

I've been so "not into it" this year with my pregnancy and health issues that I didn't do anything for my DD's teacher. I feel have zero relationship with her (no correspondence home, phone calls, newsletters etc). I think a lot of this has to do with the strike and not having received a report card or teacher interview. I just feel so disconnected from her school this year unlike last year where the teacher was super approachable.

5 Little Monkeys
12-21-2015, 09:03 PM
I always think it's so nice when they think to give a dc gift or a little gift to each child :)

Suzie_Homemaker
12-22-2015, 06:42 AM
I still open tomorrow but have gift from ones not here until after Christmas.

Child 1 - $100, home-made fudge and wine
Child 2 - Spa day
Child 3 - $75 gift card, chocolate, mug and slipper
Child 4 - Two fairy door for base board, movie night gift basket with popcorn, chocolate, snacks, bottle wine and beer for husband

I have 2 child here today and tomorrow. One is FT and one is PT.

sandylynn
12-22-2015, 06:50 AM
I feel bad for you all...no one has been blessed with a 'tube of used self suntanning lotion'....oh and a foil envelope of bbq rub from the restaurant that the parents owned over 10 years ago! Lmao

daycarelady2
12-22-2015, 06:52 AM
This is fun! We are all so lucky :)
Child 1 epicure stuff-(2 different flavours, chocolate truffle sprinkles), a book of different types of crafts and their family holiday card. He only comes before after school so I honestly wasn't really expecting anything.
Child 2 two pairs of fleece lined leggings and pink camo jamberry nail wraps they said that's not my 'bonus' but I am more than happy with that!
Child 3 a lovely sweet treats basket
Child 4 a cash bonus of $180. Which was beyond amazing!! I cried lol

daycarelady2
12-22-2015, 06:54 AM
Lmao sandylynn your gifts sound AWESOME hahahaha
It's the thought that counts though....right?

babydom
12-22-2015, 07:00 AM
I feel bad for you all...no one has been blessed with a 'tube of used self suntanning lotion'....oh and a foil envelope of bbq rub from the restaurant that the parents owned over 10 years ago! Lmao

I was just going to say....I need to move or get better families. Jippers!! The most I get is a card and chocolates or another mug to add to the hundreds I already have. Lol. I would love actual caregiver appreciation gifts....GCs, $$, etc. Lol

Other Mummy
12-22-2015, 07:09 AM
It is wonderful and appreciative when our clients think of us. In the past, I've gotten gift cards, movie passes, wine.

Last year and this year I have one dcm that brings it upon herself to get all the parents on board to pitch in for a 'daycare classroom materials ' gift bag. Although, it is a nice gesture...I feel that it is technically a gift for their children since I would be using it for daycare to teach THEIR children. Yes, I would not have to spend out of pocket to get glue, construction paper, stickers, etc. Couple that with the fact that most of the supplies are not something I would have bought for my daycare anyway (confetti/small bottles of glue sticks that last for 2 uses...etc.) I feel that this is NOT a gift for me or my family. This year the same mom told me she is doing the same thing...getting all the parents together to pitch in for supplies. I hope my fake smile and nodding of my head looked genuine enough. In my head I'm screaming....."Noooooo....bad enough she wants to spearhead this "project" but she has ALL my daycare parents pitching in. I hope someone gives me at least a $10 gift card to Timmy's. LOL.

Suzie_Homemaker
12-22-2015, 08:09 AM
I been very blessed with good client for many year. One year husband fell broke arm and had surgery. My parent come with meals they made for full week, just need thaw and heat. And some Dad come clear snow each day so we able get out. Very lucky to have kind client.

5 Little Monkeys
12-22-2015, 08:15 AM
Awesome gifts everyone :) Although, it's not needed, it's a nice gesture to show they appreciate us. I've also been blessed with great families over the years and they truly make my life easier and allow me to almost always love my job!

5 Little Monkeys
12-22-2015, 08:19 AM
It is wonderful and appreciative when our clients think of us. In the past, I've gotten gift cards, movie passes, wine.

Last year and this year I have one dcm that brings it upon herself to get all the parents on board to pitch in for a 'daycare classroom materials ' gift bag. Although, it is a nice gesture...I feel that it is technically a gift for their children since I would be using it for daycare to teach THEIR children. Yes, I would not have to spend out of pocket to get glue, construction paper, stickers, etc. Couple that with the fact that most of the supplies are not something I would have bought for my daycare anyway (confetti/small bottles of glue sticks that last for 2 uses...etc.) I feel that this is NOT a gift for me or my family. This year the same mom told me she is doing the same thing...getting all the parents together to pitch in for supplies. I hope my fake smile and nodding of my head looked genuine enough. In my head I'm screaming....."Noooooo....bad enough she wants to spearhead this "project" but she has ALL my daycare parents pitching in. I hope someone gives me at least a $10 gift card to Timmy's. LOL.

Quite a few of my family members do this to me lol. One year my husbands big surprise to me was a toy bin organizer. I did want another one but not necessarily as my Xmas gift haha. I truly love my job and my family knows this and I do appreciate that they all think of my dc too but sometimes I want to be like, "enough! Im more than just my dc" lol

superfun
12-22-2015, 01:29 PM
This is my last day before a few days off, and one mom showed up with a gift certificate for a pedicure. :)
And the last family is the one that just started, so I am guessing she hasn't thought of it. A card would be nice, but she seems overwhelmed, so it's probably the last thing on her mind. :)

sandylynn
12-22-2015, 01:39 PM
Absolutely daycarelady2.....it also helps me get to know the parents a little bit more than I thought I did! Would anyone like to know what I learned about those parents...LMAO !!!!

mattsmom
12-23-2015, 07:49 AM
I've gotten all gift cards from my families so far:
- 2 restaurant gift cards
- 2 LCBO gift cards
- 1 prepaid MasterCard

And I still have 2 families to go!

babydom
12-23-2015, 08:50 AM
Got my first today. Dinner and movie out GCs. And a keyboard for my daughter which she loves :). But this family is always the only one that's good to me :). Three more tomorrow, so we shall see :)

Shannie
12-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Today dhb brought a lava lamp for my daughter, a package of super hero figures for my son and the Mouse Trap game for us all. Very nice. I got the dayhome kids each a book and a new drinking cup, I also got the parents a starbucks GC. My other family just started in December and also gave notice the first day so I'm thinking nothing from them.

5 Little Monkeys
12-23-2015, 06:54 PM
That's so nice that they buy your families gifts too!

Today was my last day until Tuesday as no one is coming tomorrow. I received a gift card and coupons to the movies, an owl mug and hot chocolate spoons from my 4th family. The 5th family gave nothing but she's a single mom to 2 boys so I don't blame her!!

ETA...the 5th family dropped off payment today and a $20 Tim's gift card :) That surprised me as I really didn't expect anything as I know money is tight for them. Really thoughtful of them!

babydom
12-24-2015, 02:11 PM
My last family gave me a 2$ box of chocolate. Lol. They aren't tight just a cheapo family. Was done at noon today. Now I'm off til Jan.4th. That's gift enough for me! Yay! Merry Christmas all!

5 Little Monkeys
12-24-2015, 09:51 PM
Days off are always nice!!! Enjoy :)

I feel bad for forgetting to mention that one of the great grandma's gave us baking too! It was "old fashioned" too, stuff I never make. My husband loved it!!

sandylynn
12-28-2015, 11:47 AM
I got ANOTHER (3rd year in a row) foil pouch of BBQ RUB from parents that owned a restaurant over 10 years ago!!! ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG THIS IS GOOD FOR? I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have thrown the other 2 out...maybe still OK? LMAO

5 Little Monkeys
12-28-2015, 03:49 PM
LOL....my husband would love that gift actually!!

Maybe it's really good?!? Give it a try! :)

33 Daiseys
12-28-2015, 05:20 PM
I would just politely say hat you have gone vegetarian.

mimi
12-29-2015, 09:25 AM
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. I too was spoiled with restaurant gift cards, cash and even a pair of Ugg boots I had off offhandedly mentioned to a client I would love to have. I really appreciated how everyone tried to make their gifts personal. The best part was the cards. I love the words of appreciation more than anything else. That is what gives me that warm fuzzy feeling....can't buy that:D
What disappointed me was a gift from one client. It was a treat bag with peppermint (candy cane) bark chocolate. I love it, but unfortunately, the client told me she made the chocolate and even went into detail how the kids helped break up the candy canes. I went to Costco and found the same chocolate and they are identical. It just made me sad she lied because there is no reason for it. I do not reveal to any of my clients what is given to me by others, so there is no pressure to give big or homemade.

ottawamommy
12-29-2015, 11:45 AM
I posted a few weeks ago about christmas gift from people and how in the past I never received anything not even a card. Well this year was different lol I received cash, gifts cards, scratch tickets, chocolate, etsy gift card and the last gift floored me away, one of my newer clients gave me a weekend trip all paid up for a weekend getaway at the cranberry resort in blue mountain!!!!!!! I am super excited and can't believe some people are willing to spend that much on their providers

Lee-Bee
12-29-2015, 12:09 PM
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. I too was spoiled with restaurant gift cards, cash and even a pair of Ugg boots I had off offhandedly mentioned to a client I would love to have. I really appreciated how everyone tried to make their gifts personal. The best part was the cards. I love the words of appreciation more than anything else. That is what gives me that warm fuzzy feeling....can't buy that:D
What disappointed me was a gift from one client. It was a treat bag with peppermint (candy cane) bark chocolate. I love it, but unfortunately, the client told me she made the chocolate and even went into detail how the kids helped break up the candy canes. I went to Costco and found the same chocolate and they are identical. It just made me sad she lied because there is no reason for it. I do not reveal to any of my clients what is given to me by others, so there is no pressure to give big or homemade.

:-(
Maybe she and the kid make it all for costco too? Maybe? I would almost be tempted to buy the package at costco and leave it out when they come for drop off lol. Just kidding, but sad that they felt the need to lie about having made their gift.

5 Little Monkeys
12-29-2015, 04:53 PM
Nice present ottawamommy!! Enjoy :)

Van
12-31-2015, 02:29 AM
I Lucked out really BIG this year with great gifts and it was a wonderful way to finish the year
now roll on the new year and Happy new year to everyone :)