PDA

View Full Version : 22 month old best sleeper now not napping?

Skysue
11-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Hi ladies,

I have a little one who has been in my care since she was 11 months and she has always been my best napper. This past week she won't sleep she yells and keeps everyone else up? What do i do? Is this just a phase? My own always napped amazing!

sunnydays
11-23-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm going through the same thing, but with a 9 month old! How on earth does a 9 month old not need naps??? He won't sleep in the morning anymore and sleeps fitfully and not long in the afternoon...crying a lot! I let him cry it out, but sill he sleep for only about an hour. I have another child his age who sleeps 1-2 hours in the morning and 2-3 in the afternoon! Sorry...no advice...just some empathy!

playfelt
11-23-2011, 04:13 PM
For both of them ask the mom if the child is waking up through the night and if so what are they doing about it. If they are going into the child repeatedly then the child is hoping you will do the same. The nine month old sounds like he should be put down for a morning nap even if he cries through it as in he sounds too tired to relax and fall asleep in the afternoon.

Skysue
11-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Just found out she is teething, had a feel and her back molar is comming in! Her mom said she gave her advil before bed last night and she slept amazing! I asked if she could send somthing for me to give he before nap in the afternoon. Camillia is amazing, let's pray that she send s that tomorrow.

:(

sunnydays
11-23-2011, 05:42 PM
I talked to the mom of my 9 month old and she told me that he is very sound sensitive and sleeps with a fan to block out noise. Wish she had told me all this before...he's been coming on a drop-in basis for a couple of months! I am moving his playpen tonight to a dark quiet space and I'm going to try to find a fan or two to put on for him. I agree with you Playfelt that he needs that morning nap and I know that overtired can lead to less sleep, not more! Fingers crossed that the quiet area works out better!

Skysue
11-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Still no sleeping for me? I'm not having a good week! :(:::::::::::::::::: ::::::::

sunnydays
11-24-2011, 01:21 PM
I feel for you skysue! Bad naptime equals a bad day! I say teething or not, don't let her get away with not sleeping. Go in and lay her down and tell her it's sleeping time and then leave. I would just keep repeating this every ten minutes or so until she gets the message that you aren't getting her up. Next time my 9 month non-sleeper comes I am going to do the same...now that his playpen will be in a space where he won't wake others up.

Skysue
11-24-2011, 01:49 PM
I feel for you skysue! Bad naptime equals a bad day! I say teething or not, don't let her get away with not sleeping. Go in and lay her down and tell her it's sleeping time and then leave. I would just keep repeating this every ten minutes or so until she gets the message that you aren't getting her up. Next time my 9 month non-sleeper comes I am going to do the same...now that his playpen will be in a space where he won't wake others up.

I have been and she screams her head off. She cried for almost the whole nap time today! :( It's not like her so i just pray she gets past this soon! she has been really grumpy all day. Her Mom says she naps at home but her teeth only started bugging her recently! I hope she is the same at home over the weekend so they just understand! I know that sounds selfish but sometimes I just feel like there happy she will sleep well at night due to exhustastion! Oh and maybe the advil they are giving her!

waterloo day mom
11-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Sounds like a control issue to me, plain and simple. The kid feels they want to control when and for how long they nap. Stick to your guns so that they know that you are in charge, not them.

Skysue
12-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Sounds like a control issue to me, plain and simple. The kid feels they want to control when and for how long they nap. Stick to your guns so that they know that you are in charge, not them.

What do I do then? She has become very disruptive screams and calls everyone else name in the nap room she throws her blanket etc.

Her mother said I should separate her but she has been napping in this room a long time with zero issues. If I separate her then she will think it’s a game, no?

I have noticed its only when another 2 year old is here, today I put them on different sides the room with a large leather chair separating them so they can't see each other.

She is messing up my quite time so bad everyone is tired and grumpy. She has also become very aggressive lately. She used to me my smallest and youngest in my care and now she is one of the big girls. Do you thinks it’s a phase do to her feeling like she's not the baby anymore?

I'm starting to go crazy and getting stressed, I need my quite time to clean up after lunch, do my daily reports and sit down for 1/2 hour to de stress :(

Today I stood outside of the nap room door and every time she became disruptive I went in laid her down and said good night! This lasted an hour then she was quite for 1/2 then started yelling my name! She is now on the couch with a blanket and I have asked her not to move until I tell her she can get up as one of my 3 year olds is napping. She will stay their do you think her naps are done? She will be 2 years old next week. Mine is almost 4 and she still needs to nap so I am at a loss!

sunnydays
12-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Ughh! I was having a similar issue with a girl the same age, but ended up terminating her due to other issues. Sorry i can't be of more help...but I really feel for you!

mom-in-alberta
12-01-2011, 02:00 PM
I doubt she's completely done with napping at barely 2. Even if she was, you can still enforce QUIET time. Sounds like she is testing her boundaries.
At this point, I would move her. And its not a game, its a consequence. Tell her she has to be away from the kids until she can behave properly at quiet time. There is no point in stressing yourself out, and keeping the other kids up. Once she determines that you aren't giving in, she should settle again. Then you can try moving her back in.
Keep your chin up!!