PDA

View Full Version : Contacting Parents to collect their sickly child - Sorry, Long!

Redhead
01-08-2016, 02:07 PM
At drop off today I was told that it was boy 'A's last day; he was due to finish in a week but they had visitors coming and brought it forward :-)

Unfortunately this same child woke early from his nap on Monday and vomited all over the crib. I could not get hold of the parents for almost 3 hours (!) and by the time he was collected he was much happier. He was fine at home that night and I accepted him into care the next day.

Today, my own daughter (usually in school) stayed home as she woke up hot and feeling unwell. No vomiting though. When boy 'B' was dropped off his mom said her son had felt warm on Tues night and thrown up but was ok on Weds when she kept him home. She usually keeps him home on Weds as that's her work from home day and I didn't know until this morning that he'd vomited. He had been fine here yesterday.

So, back to boy 'A' today. He became very grouchy just before 11am and I brought him into the kitchen with me while I prepared lunch; the others had free play time. I gave him a yogurt and then 2 small slices of apple which he hardly touched. I was just dishing up the actual lunch when he moaned and I turned to see him projectile vomit all over the dining area. 3 times.
He hadn't coughed or choked and as he was less than 4 foot away from me I knew he hadn't actually had anything in his mouth for at least 5 minutes.

I immediately rang mom and left a message and then rang dad who without even asking how his son was asked if it was really necessary to have to collect him over a bit of spit up. I told him it wasn't spit up (the boy is 16 months and has never vomited here before this week) and there was lots of it and yes, when a child vomits in daycare they need to be collected. Obv. he was annoyed at having to come home again from work (1hr on train) but when your child is sick....
Then he asked in a very pointed tone if I had simply 'overfed' him which I did not take well. I again explained that he had really only eaten yogurt and a small piece of apple (finger food) and the actual lunch was just being prepared when this happened. I told him I resented his comment. Then I hung the phone up. Not too proud of that, but whatever. He obv. didn't believe what I was telling him and was arguing back with the carers judgement (who was actually with the child) about what was in his best interest and also the interest of others in my care.
I spent the next 35 mins cleaning and changing the child and cleaning the kitchen. I made sure to leave his clothing filthy so they could see some of the mess but I'd already washed off his bib which took most of what didn't hit the floor/table etc.

When dad arrived to collect the boy two hours later he asked if I'd given the boy Tylenol (parents leave me a bottle to give if and when). He seemed even more annoyed when I said no, that I wouldn't give a child medicine if they had recently vomited. I also told him what the other parent had said about boy 'B' vomiting on Tues eve.

This was all very disappointing that it happened on the little boys last day, but I do believe it was the correct thing for me to contact the parent for pick up and also not to give him medicine. Do you agree?

BlueRose
01-08-2016, 02:29 PM
You did the right thing. Vomit = go home no matter the reason.
I will not give medicine like Tylenol without a dr.'s note and the parents have filled out my medicine form. So I wouldn't have given him any either.

mickyc
01-08-2016, 02:50 PM
I have in my contract that a parent only has 30 minutes to pick up child when I phone them. There would be no disagreeing with me either. Child threw up come and get them. I would not give medicine either.

Stuff happens no matter if it's their last day or not. I was be furious!!

Suzie_Homemaker
01-08-2016, 02:50 PM
Vomit here they go home too and expected to be here in no more than 60 mins. They are then excluded for a min of 24 hours. If they vomit at home, they stay home for 24 hours after last time child was sick. Child expected to stay home until vomit free for 24 hours without use of meds to hide symptoms. I will terminate if I find out child been dosed and dropped, or if parent lies about being fine at home. If I terminate, there fee of 4 weeks in lieu of notice because it entirely in parent control to be honest.

Redhead
01-08-2016, 06:52 PM
Thanks very much ladies. I thought so, you've made me feel a bit better about it all :)

Lee-Bee
01-08-2016, 07:54 PM
You did the right thing.
All you can do now is hope that the child projectile vomited in the car on the way home. Oh, wait, did I say that out loud?

Redhead
01-09-2016, 07:54 AM
Thanks Lee-Bee, we think alike!

Busy ECE mommy
01-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Totally the right decision. Send them home for vomitting for whatever reason. I would never administer Tylenol/over the counter meds. You never know what the parent has dosed them with at home prior to that. I would change the policy to be prescription meds only.
You totally did the right thing!