PDA

View Full Version : Creating a schedule

littlesprouts
01-12-2016, 02:40 PM
So I am new to the child care field. I have a 2 year old and a 10 month old at home, and decided with my social services and healthcare background I would really enjoy this career choice and I could be home with my girls.

Anyway, I am currently creating all of my documents and I am at my schedule. I intended to have 1 full timer and the other 2 spots school agers. With this in mind I am having a hard time creating my schedule. My oldest hates breakfast and usually wont eat until 8:30 or 9. But that does not work for kids who are in school. Do you have examples of your schedules? Or know of good resources to help me create one?

5 Little Monkeys
01-12-2016, 02:51 PM
What time do you need to leave to do the school run? Eat 20-30 mins before that if possible. If it were me though, I'd ask that the school agers bring their own snack (or I'd supply it...easy and quick things like granola bars, toast, English muffin etc paired with some fruit) and they can eat that before leaving and than I'd feed the little ones after getting back home.

When do they get back to your house? I'd likely do nap 1230-230, feed the littles snack, pick up school kids and they could eat snack when back at your place. I know some might not like that because it's 2 diff snack times but honestly, school agers are more than capable of eating snack with you just checking in on them and they can be responsible for cleaning up.

I don't have school aged kids so my schedule won't be any help but snack is anywhere between 9/930, lunch at noon, nap at 1230/1-3 and snack is done by 330

Crayola kiddies
01-12-2016, 03:14 PM
I don't do school aged kids because I don't want to wake up kids from their naps in the dead of winter and jam their winter gear on and drag them to the school or bus stop in all kinds of crappy weather trying to push a stroller or drag a wagon or sled ... Yuk ... But we do snack at 830 or 9 outside right after till 1030-11 ... Lunch from 1115-12 and naps from 12-3 snack at 315 and all kids are gone by 430

MommaL
01-13-2016, 09:34 AM
Are you planning to serve breakfast to everyone? Is that why you are concerned about your daughter? Or is it just that you'll be taking the kids to school when she would normally be eating breakfast? Will you be walking the school-aged kids to school or to a bus stop or do you happen to have a bus pick-up outside of your home?

Both my daughter and I are the same way. We're just not hungry when we wake up. However, we've both learned that even if we don't feel real hungry, we have to eat something small first thing in the morning that gets us through until snack time. This might have to be the case for your daughter as well. Then I just make sure that the morning snack is something that's sustainable and nutritious.

I don't follow a particular schedule as it depends on the day and on everyone's mood. However, the things that remain fairly consistent are that my daycare opens at 7:30. Between 8:00-8:30, the busses arrive to pick up school-aged kids. There are three different schools in my area that kids could go to which are all on the bus route. I'm fortunate that the bus stop is just a few steps from my house, so I don't have to bundle all the little ones up and walk to it. Snack time is around 9:00 (maybe a bit earlier if the kids seem hungry or a bit later if we're in the middle of something fun), lunch at 12:00, nap/quiet time starts between 12:30-1:00,, afternoon snack at 3:00ish (depending on when the nappers wake up), and the busses return between 4-4:15. The school aged kids have a small snack and then the daycare closes at 5:30.

Hope this helps!