PDA

View Full Version : Reference Letters

ebhappydc
01-21-2016, 08:42 AM
Hi - i got an email this week from someone asking for copies of my reference letters for possible care in the fall. I have not met this person and they aren't asking for anything else.
Do you give reference details before you meet a potential family? I'm thinking that there is personal info on the references (name, contact info) and I don't want to just give that out to anyone... Right? Tx bunches

Wonderwiper
01-21-2016, 08:56 AM
Absolutely not!! I only give my references to people I have interviewed in person and who I am actually willing to give a spot to!

Busy ECE mommy
01-21-2016, 10:02 AM
No way! Only after I've done a face to face interview with the family, and decided that they are a good fit for me.

5 Little Monkeys
01-21-2016, 11:15 AM
My reference letters are actually all the cards I've received over the years with sweet, thoughtful and complimentary remarks. I keep them in my interview binder and are available for potential clients to read in person. I wouldn't be able to fulfil their request unless we met in person

babydom
01-21-2016, 11:44 AM
Same here. I only give them out after an interview IF I want them as clients and they want a spot here.

Lee-Bee
01-21-2016, 12:11 PM
No way.

I make it clear to interviewing families that references go out after I have chosen a family for the space and they can contact them, that my references are families with jobs and children and busy lives so I cannot have a lot of families calling them.

Written references are in my portfolio that parents look through while I interact with their child in the daycare space. But I would never give that info out and I do not see any legitimate reason for someone to want to see them before meeting me.

Some one can have the best references in the world and you still may not like them. It is not a first step to interviewing, it is a final step.

Van
01-21-2016, 07:06 PM
I give out the reference to them to read while they are here during the interview not to take home with them so they personal info is the client who wrote it is safe

sandylynn
01-22-2016, 10:05 AM
Absolutely not.....agree with lee-bee

mickyc
01-22-2016, 11:31 AM
I don't have reference letters. I would give them out before a meeting either.

I have a few families who will give a reference for me if need be but it is by phone. I have never ever had anyone ask for the families numbers.

kindertime
01-22-2016, 12:22 PM
I once had a parent ask for the names and numbers of my current famillies. To which I said, no. But I did give her the option for me to give out her number to my famillies so they could call her. She didn't take me up on that, lol.

BlueRose
01-22-2016, 01:10 PM
I have my reference letters on my website (without personal information) for parents to read. If they want their contact information they have to come in for an interview to get them and then I will only hand them out if I am interested in the family.