PDA

View Full Version : Creative solutions?

amber
11-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi Ladies,

I'm a newbie to this profession- I've been a nanny and an intervenor, so I'm still finding my sea legs as a home daycare provider. I'm suprised how much parents take advantage; I never had my boundaries questioned as a nanny but now I'm getting walked all over.
How do you handle the typical problems (REALLY late pick ups, kids dropped off in poopy wet pj's :blink:, payments not made in a timely fashion) without offending and losing your clients?
I almost feel like I need to start with new families and handle the terms and conditions another way.
Anyone have any ideas?:

Sandbox Sally
11-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Hi Amber and welcome!

Group emails. This way, nobody is being singled out. Send an email to everyone, stating that from now on, children must be dressed, clean and ready for the day upon arrival at daycare, and that no child will be accepted outside your operating hours. Then politely go on to tell them that failure to observe these rules will be grounds for dismissal from your day home effective immediately. If you want, you could also tell them that there will be a contract addendum waiting for everyone to sign upon pickup the next day.

Good luck. Don't let anyone push you around. Chances are, everyone you want to stay will stay, and as for the rest - bye! :) You live in a well populated area, and likely won't have a hard time finding a replacement family.

sunnydays
11-24-2011, 12:39 PM
You need to have a clear contract in which the rules are stated. Be specific! Put right in there that the kids need to come fed, dressed, clean diapers, etc. Also put in there that there will be a late fee for late pick-up...and then apply it! Get payment in advance and refuse care if the payment is not made on time. I have only been doing this for about 9 months, and I have never encountered the problems you have mentioned...I am sure it is because I have a clear contract and a professional website and parents know what the rules are and what they are recieving in return.

giraffe
11-25-2011, 12:23 PM
PPs are right, you need to have a very well defined contract and then ENFORCE it. That is usually where mistakes are made, having a great contract is fine but if you dont follow it yourself then it does nothing.

fruitloop
11-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Ditto to what everyone else has stated. It's your business therefore you make the rules but you also need to be the one who enforces them. Charge a late fee for late p/u...something that is a fair chunk so they won't want to pay it again and don't accept them back into care until it's paid. Get paid first, care after. Do you have a contract that outlines what is expected from parents and yourself? If you don't you best be getting yourself one. It makes life a lot easier and it helps weed out the less desirable families who think they're the boss and like to take advantage.