PDA

View Full Version : Parent changing contract

Busy ECE mommy
01-26-2016, 09:07 AM
I have an young infant coming who will start soon(younger than I would ever normally take). We had several interviews, and the parents told me what hours the child would be coming, so I agreed. The parent has a short work day. We had agreed on 8 hours. When the contract came back, the parent had lengthened the hours of attendance by almost an hour, which is not what we agreed upon verbally.
It is still within my max. hours per day, but I agreed to it based on an early pickup, as the child is very very young. None of my clients come for that length of day, and I have chosen them specifically for that. Is there a tactful way to approach this, as it will be the first one in, and the last to leave, which I never would have agreed to for a child this age. Do I have a right to say something?

Fireyesblue
01-26-2016, 10:43 AM
I have an young infant coming who will start soon(younger than I would ever normally take). We had several interviews, and the parents told me what hours the child would be coming, so I agreed. The parent has a short work day. We had agreed on 8 hours. When the contract came back, the parent had lengthened the hours of attendance by almost an hour, which is not what we agreed upon verbally.
It is still within my max. hours per day, but I agreed to it based on an early pickup, as the child is very very young. None of my clients come for that length of day, and I have chosen them specifically for that. Is there a tactful way to approach this, as it will be the first one in, and the last to leave, which I never would have agreed to for a child this age. Do I have a right to say something?

I don't have open and close hours. I am open say from 7-5 but all my families have contracted hours and my contract reflects that this way they cant take advantage of 10hrs when they don't need it. I would just tell them you agreement was based on xx hours and not over and above. Either they adjust, or you accommodate or they pull out. If 8hrs is what works for you then amend you contract to have contracted hours with this family.

Fireyesblue
01-26-2016, 10:45 AM
Ps. Its YOUR business. Its always your right - you dictate what works for you and what doesn't. So of you are Ok losing this family then do it otherwise you will regret having that baby there longer than you want to. Been there and it was awful! Good luck :)

MommaL
01-26-2016, 11:04 AM
I'm always learning something new from this site.:) I've actually never heard of anyone having contracted hours, but perhaps it's just not the norm where I am. I've always been of the mindset that if a parent is paying me for a full-time spot, their child is able to come from the time I open until the time I close if they so wish. That being said, I can understand that with a baby, it makes for a long day (both for you and baby). If it were me, I'd talk to the parents about it and ask why they've made the change. Perhaps they just want to give themselves some wiggle room so they don't feel so rushed after work and risk being late, but are still planning to only bring baby for 8 hours. If their reasoning makes sense and I liked the family, I'd leave it be. But if you are really starting to second-guess whether you want the baby in your care and are going to resent that extra hour, then maybe this your out.

Lee-Bee
01-26-2016, 11:12 AM
Do NOT take this child on without having a talk with the parents. It is NOT acceptable for them to change your contract without speaking with you first and YOU making the changes. It can mean they don't care about the written rules and are just not a good match.

Speak with them, if you don't like the hours tell them and have them agree (in writing) to abide by the set hours. It may very well be a misunderstanding and they wanted to extend the hours for rare occasions so wrote it in. BUT it would not be wise to move head with them having changed your contract on you as it sets the bar for them to believe they are in control of your business.

Busy ECE mommy
01-26-2016, 11:30 AM
The parent only works 6.5 hrs a day, and is a 5 minute commute away from here, so I don't think they needed more commuting time LOL. It just irks me because they assume they can come anytime within XX hours.

Suzie_Homemaker
01-26-2016, 11:50 AM
I would call them and ask why they change hours on contract when that not the discussion. I see no issue in telling them that you choose client's based on contracted hours so there's no capacity to extend beyond the agreement. Tell them their child would be in first and out last and that you don't offer that length of day to anyone, especially an infant.
Until you sign that contract, so both have signed, it not valid anyway. This why I always send for them sign first. Otherwise, if I signed and sent for them sign, and they made change and signed, both name on it and harder to address.

babydom
01-26-2016, 11:57 AM
I run a bit differently. Im open 7-5 and if they are paying for a full time spot then they are welcomed to come anytime in those hrs even if they are not all needed. But with ur situation I agree that u must speak with them and make clear you are the boss. If they want changes they must ask you and then and only then you can agree or disagree and change the contract. The parents aren't allowed to change the contract. It doesn't work that way!

mickyc
01-26-2016, 01:35 PM
You need to talk to them about it and find out why the change. Then decide if you want to continue with them or tell them it won't work.

I am open from 7:30-5 and families are allowed to use any amount of that time that they need. All my families are on a regular schedule though so I always know when to expect everyone. I just ask if they are needing to change their time on any day that they let me know in advance - usually the day before.

Snowmom
01-26-2016, 02:56 PM
You've gotten great advice. I just wanted to chime in about how you asked if it was ok to confront the issue.
This is your business, your decision, your rules.
So many of us forget this way too often.
Just because a parent pays for a service, does not mean they dictate any rules, regulations, procedures, etc. They are NOT your employer.
I'm not saying good communication regarding the needs of their child isn't important.
I'm saying that they don't get a say in how you run your business.
They can either agree to the terms of your contract or find another provider who offers what they need.

5 Little Monkeys
01-26-2016, 04:03 PM
I dont do contracted hours but the issue is that they changed the contract without consulting you first. They might not have realized that this isn't okay and just thought that because you were open it would be fine. I'd discuss it with them for sure. If they feel they can change it "just because" than I'd be leery of what else they might want to change in the future

Van
01-27-2016, 02:54 PM
I also don't do contracted hours but it is hard when the new child is first in and last out and you were arranging for an earlier pick-up .... the parents maybe covering themselves in a' what if I am later getting out of work' situation so talk to them and see what was on their minds when they changed the hours

Suzie_Homemaker
01-28-2016, 07:21 AM
I wondering if there update to this?