PDA

View Full Version : Claiming training expenses?

2angels
11-24-2011, 01:58 PM
So I read the CRA's daycare guide and with regards to training, it says we cannot claim the costs if the training is done to obtain a new skill, qualification, etc. but if the training is for maintaining or upgrading your current skill/profession, then you can claim it as expenses. I was thinking of taking some certificate courses online on topics such as child development, etc (anyone took the CARE courses before?) Would I be able to claim the costs? What about First Aid/CPR training? Do you claim this as an expense the first time you take the course, since it's a new skill your're obtaining?

playfelt
11-25-2011, 07:02 AM
I think there might be two interpretations here as to what training involves. Things like first aid or a workshop dealing with an aspect of childcare are not the same as taking a college course in ECE. In the case of university or college you would identify yourself as a student for part of the year and there is a way to claim some expenses as a student. Then once you have the degree any additional costs that come up over the years to maintain your skills or membership is deductable as a business expense not as a student expense. Again get clarification by calling or emailing Revenue Canada.

2angels
11-25-2011, 09:23 AM
A senior agent from CRA finally called me and was able to answer my question so here it is.

What can we claim in terms of training expenses?
Any training you take that gives you a lasting benefit (e.g. a new skill) is considered an eligible capital expenditure and is claimed similarly to how you would claim capital cost items (an allowance each year that you write off annually until the balance is 0). Any training that maintains or upgrades your current skill is considered a current expense and can be written off 100% in the year you incur it. So, the initial First Aid/CPR training you take is an eligible capital expenditure because it is a new skill you're learning, and any renewal courses you take after that would be a current expense.