PDA

View Full Version : Pushing

Goldilocks
02-10-2016, 04:19 PM
I have a four year old boy who seems to have no patience with a 15 month old girl I have in DC. Whenever the girl approaches him and happens to touch him he pushes her. Today she fell down beside him and her bum touched him. He kept pushing her down. This happened several times. I've given him repeated time outs, spoke to him about the girl just wanting to play. I've also told him she is little and she needs everyone help. His mom has also been told about his behaviour. This doesn't seem to help. He receives a timeout almost daily. He also has a sister that will be three next month that is here as well. She also receives daily time outs. I'm tired of dealing with these two. Should I preservere or terminate? Input please.

Van
02-10-2016, 04:35 PM
I would ask myself what would I rather ....the extra money or the extra work dealing with these two kids and be honest with yourself then it is easier to terminate or keep working on their behavior

Lee-Bee
02-10-2016, 06:13 PM
What do the siblings contribute to your group? Do their contributions out weigh the added work to constantly remind/shadow them? Are they happy, cheerful kids that otherwise play great, are they helpers?

I would consider that information in this decision. Some kids just don't get it and need the constant reminders and discipline to improve. Which is fine if they are not causing a ton of stress and negativity into the program without any positives.

Also, have you seen improvements? While they may not be at the level you want them at and believe they should be at have you seen improvement on their part (not just because you are preventing the behavior but have they shown any signs of self control in these situations? Some improvement (even little) is a positive thing and means there is room to keep improving...whereas no improvement or it getting worse could be a sign they need a different program.

It's a tough decision but there are a lot of factors to consider. One key factor is can you survive with 2 over age 2 spaces open for a period of time? Are they showing any improvement. Are they causing undue stress and harm to you and the other child that does not seem to be something you can continue with. and on and on...

Goldilocks
02-11-2016, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the input. I've decided to terminate because there hasn't been any improvement and the DC boy has no self control at all. His sister has recently decided to not listen to me as well. She doesn't listen to mom either. When they are not here the day is so much more pleasant, sad to say. I do expect some stress,as with any job, but not like it is when these two children misbehave every single day. I have a waiting list so these spots will be filled in no time.

Goldilocks
02-11-2016, 04:37 PM
I put in my handbook that I reserve the right to give immediate termination if the safety of other children are a concern. I checked my contract and didn't add that part in there. Do I still have to give two weeks notice then?

33 Daiseys
02-11-2016, 06:28 PM
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! I made that choice a bit ago and my days are so much better:)

Van
02-12-2016, 03:49 PM
I would give the Mom 2 weeks to find the next daycare as it is for 2 spots but also tell her if she finds one sooner that is Okay .....so then you know even on the BAD days they will be leaving SOOOON :) Good for you :)

Goldilocks
02-16-2016, 03:58 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I gave her two weeks notice. I feel better already knowing it won't be long. She was understanding about it. I know I made the right decision as I'm still giving them time outs! Sheech! They just don't get it.