PDA

View Full Version : Kids crying at arrival

Spixie33
11-25-2011, 06:31 PM
I am so glad this week is over.

I had two kids on two different days this week arrive and cry about coming to daycare. Both of these kids are over 2 years old and have always arrived happy and usually are not anxious to leave when mom or dad arrive. They are not new.
Having the kids suddenly show up crying and saying "I want to go home" or crying and clinging to the door jamb when mom is leaving kind of hurt.

I put so much into the daycare - providing good care, toys a fun environment and interacting with the kids that it really hurts when these kids seem to suddenly act like they hate it here.

It honestly kind of ruined my day as soon as drop off went so poorly. :o

It doesn't help that the moms then seem stressed and seem to almost silently seem to send a negative vibe as though maybe wondering if there is something to be concerned about.

One mom said how hard it was to leave now that her child was crying but the more she placated the child - the more they cried. I wanted to tell her just to vamoose as written in my contract. It was pretty bad and it made me just feel like crud all morning.:crying:

i know these children are two and of course they would rather be with their parents and in their home but still it somehow feels sad that they suddenly seemed so vehement about not being here after all my efforts and TLC for them.
Just venting and wondering how others handle these sort of drop offs.

mlc1982
11-26-2011, 12:56 AM
Sorry about your situation Spixie :(

I have a little guy who is almost 20 mths old. He just recently started doing the same thing at drop off. He throws little fits and whines as soon as he sees me. The dad always says "oh, what's wrong? you were just fine and have been fine all morning" which then makes me feel like crud.

I took it personally at first but now I honestly think it's just dcb seeing what he can get away with with mom and dad. As soon as the door closes he is fine. He has started throwing a fit when mom comes to pick him up too. She can barely hold him and he's squirming and crying and screaming.

Could your kids' crying be along the same lines ?? ...they are realizing that maybe they get away with more with mom and dad so they're testing the waters?

Whatever it is I hope it gets sorted out soon for you. I just keep thinking that if the parents were honestly concerned and thought there was something going on, they would either try to discuss it with me or stop bringing their kid here.

Sandbox Sally
11-26-2011, 11:25 AM
I try not to take these things personally. I think children just enjoy being with their parents more, and I am sure that's a natural instinct. I reassure the parent, and pick the child up to head over to the toy area - distraction. As we are walking away from the door, I call over my shoulder to the parent, "S/he'll be fine. Have a good one!". They normally get the hint. :)

momplus6
11-26-2011, 09:17 PM
I have found this to happen with a couple different children around age two just continue as usually maybe they just want some extra Mommy and Daddy time. Don't take it personally I bet you it'll clear up in a couple of weeks

mom-in-alberta
12-01-2011, 12:41 AM
I had a little girl (2yrs) that would do this in spurts. I found that it always happened during times that her own family was going through transition-type situations. She reacted (overly emotionally) in general when this was going on.
I don't take this personally, since most of the time, the kids are TOTALLY fine within a few minutes!
It's completely normal for kids to go through this, its just separation anxiety and them testing their boundaries. I have a little man who cries when mom picks him up. That's much easier to handle, I admit!