PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever had a 1 year old come and be well adjusted quickly?

sgmartel
03-16-2016, 12:56 PM
please remove

mattsmom
03-16-2016, 01:12 PM
I have found that it's few and far between to have a baby that adjusts right away. I have had ones that are happy from the start but need to adjust to a new schedule, and I have had ones that are still screaming after a month of care.

I find that a lot of parents don't think of this when they are on mat leave. They coddle them, have no routine, pick them up as soon as they wimper. Then they expect you to have them adjust to daycare right away.

I say that it's up to you, as you are the one having to listen to the screaming, but just be honest with the parents as well, as to what's going on. Because if you have to term, it won't be a big shock.

babydom
03-16-2016, 01:20 PM
I've had both. One that screamed and I lasted 4mths then termed him. I got his replacement in and she came in like she had been here for yrs. no crying. Smiling all the time. Napping three hrs. Eating. No issues. Was awesome!!!!

mickyc
03-16-2016, 01:38 PM
I find for kids who are 16 months and up transition is quick and fast. I too am tired of the crying! I had a new one start a month ago and she still cries a lot! Some days go great others are terrible- today is a bad day. I have a new one starting in 2 weeks. Ugh....

I have only termed 1 kid after day 3. I couldn't stand it any longer! He wouldn't stop, wouldn't eat or sleep! At least this new one sleeps and eats. I sure hope the new one does!!

mickyc
03-16-2016, 01:57 PM
I prefer 16months to 3! I only like over 3 if they start with me.

Why no playpen?

superfun
03-16-2016, 01:59 PM
I had a baby start in December, and she was great. She was 11 months when she started. I needed that! The child she replaced was a very grumpy child, and cried about everything. And he was here for 18 months by the time he left. I am so happy this little girl is so happy and smiley. She has never cried at drop off. She adjusted to our daily routine perfectly. And she loves everyone.

5 Little Monkeys
03-16-2016, 02:13 PM
I expect transitions to last about 2-4 weeks. I go in thinking they're going to be terrible (don't let the kids know this tho!!) and than I'm always surprised when they aren't lol. Over the years, I've only had a few REALLY hard transitions thank goodness!

Hopefully they adjust soon!

Van
03-16-2016, 03:44 PM
I have a 12 month baby that just started a month ago and guess what , she is well adjusted !!!
I was expecting the worst as another daycare terminated her after 2 weeks !!! but she is happy crawling around so I am so surprised, but she does scream and cry while we are outside and the other kids are busy playing

Lee-Bee
03-17-2016, 09:26 AM
We are not allowed playpens in our registered day home's here. They say it's a danger and baby could slip in between the bottom mat and wall and then die. It's very annoying, they want us to get Cribs. I refuse.

Have there been cases of this happening to make them ban it? I find it highly unlikely for this to happen, playpens are made of thing breathable material. Most playpens have the straps to secure the bottom down.

babydom
03-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Same here. I'm in Ontario. Unfortunately a close friend of mine had her baby taken from CAS last wk. but fortunately I was able to get her in my care being a close local friend. And when they came to do the interview to make sure the house was safe the first thing they asked was where will she sleep. So I brought her upstairs and said I have five playpens from daycare and only two being used so I plan on just using one for her. They flat out said oh no. If u want to get her in your care ull need a bed or a crib. They said they are PLAYpens. They are meant to put a baby in a safe spot for a small amount of time so the mommy or caregiver has her hands free but they are not meant nor safe to sleep in. I was like urgh!!! So I took my two yr old daycare girl out and onto a cot. Got a bed for my friends baby and will have to get a crib for my 1yr old daycare girl, thankfully IKEA has small cribs so I won't have to get a full size one. If I were with an agency I wouldnt be able to use Playpens either. My do have the straps to secure it to the bottom. But one of my one yr olds still got in under there one day. Lol.

33 Daiseys
03-17-2016, 01:59 PM
I personally believe this is a pile of fertilizer. Cas is just getting stupider in my honest opinion.

33 Daiseys
03-17-2016, 02:03 PM
Sleep Safety
JAN 6
Posted by CCPRN
Many home child care providers use portable playpens, or ‘Pack ‘N Play’s for naptime sleep arrangements.

sleep safety pack & play

These are a practical alternative to cribs because they are small, inexpensive and fold up compactly when not in use. But before using a playpen in your daycare there are safety issues to consider:

– Follow the instructions for use and size/weight restrictions of the product.

– Playpens are not as durable as cribs and require regular inspection to ensure their safe use. Only use the mattress that was supplied with the playpen. Check for soft spots that could pose a suffocation hazard. Discard as soon as a hole has been poked through the mesh sides. A child can climb out or become entangled if there is even the smallest hole in the side of the play yard. There is also a risk of choking if there are any tears in the fabric.

– Be sure that all four sides of the playpen are locked in place before use.

– Do not place a child in the playpen when a bassinet or changing station is attached. Babies should not be placed on the attachments to sleep.

– Do not add items such as pillows or extra padding that could cause a child to suffocate in a play yard or a crib. Large toys and stuffed toys should not be placed in the playpen because your child could use them to climb out.

– Play yards are not recommended for unsupervised sleep. For example, they are not a good solution for night time sleeping or for sleeping in another room.

Older playpens come with greater safety concerns. Check the Health Canada Consumer Product Safety website for more details.

Where you place your child’s playpen or crib should also be carefully considered. Do not place near hanging blind cords or near furniture that can be reached to pull themselves out of.

sgmartel
03-17-2016, 02:15 PM
Sleep Safety
JAN 6
Posted by CCPRN
Many home child care providers use portable playpens, or ‘Pack ‘N Play’s for naptime sleep arrangements.

sleep safety pack & play

These are a practical alternative to cribs because they are small, inexpensive and fold up compactly when not in use. But before using a playpen in your daycare there are safety issues to consider:

– Follow the instructions for use and size/weight restrictions of the product.

– Playpens are not as durable as cribs and require regular inspection to ensure their safe use. Only use the mattress that was supplied with the playpen. Check for soft spots that could pose a suffocation hazard. Discard as soon as a hole has been poked through the mesh sides. A child can climb out or become entangled if there is even the smallest hole in the side of the play yard. There is also a risk of choking if there are any tears in the fabric.

– Be sure that all four sides of the playpen are locked in place before use.

– Do not place a child in the playpen when a bassinet or changing station is attached. Babies should not be placed on the attachments to sleep.

– Do not add items such as pillows or extra padding that could cause a child to suffocate in a play yard or a crib. Large toys and stuffed toys should not be placed in the playpen because your child could use them to climb out.

– Play yards are not recommended for unsupervised sleep. For example, they are not a good solution for night time sleeping or for sleeping in another room.

Older playpens come with greater safety concerns. Check the Health Canada Consumer Product Safety website for more details.

Where you place your child’s playpen or crib should also be carefully considered. Do not place near hanging blind cords or near furniture that can be reached to pull themselves out of.

Whatever you say is not going to help. I didn't say I thought play pens were unsafe. I said that licensing will not allow it. So if I want my job, I follow the rules or I get shut down. I think it's a ridiculous rule, but I have no choice. Play pens are not permitted in my registered day home.

babydom
03-17-2016, 03:21 PM
Says right here......

Play yards are not recommended for unsupervised sleep. For example, they are not a good solution for night time sleeping or for sleeping in another room.

33 Daiseys
03-17-2016, 03:23 PM
Whatever you say is not going to help. I didn't say I thought play pens were unsafe. I said that licensing will not allow it. So if I want my job, I follow the rules or I get shut down. I think it's a ridiculous rule, but I have no choice. Play pens are not permitted in my registered day home.

I was just including what ccprn has on their website since it seemed as if others were interested in the fact that you have said that the cas worker said that you must use a crib model. I'm curious too, and just called the location in Ottawa and according to them they said that pack and plays were perfectly fine if used in the model shown above. I just think that if this is an aspect that is going to be in forced then i can see some local daycares closing due to room alone

babydom
03-17-2016, 03:30 PM
I was the one that had the cas worker over :) I'm sure in my case it is different as the baby will be sleeping naps and overnight. So maybe then I can't use a playpen because it's not just for naps. But she also said its a health concern said by health Canada. I switched my daycare out of them to be safe I had the rm to do so. Every agency works differently. Some say it's ok and others don't. The one sgmartel works for doesn't and that's what she was saying :)