PDA

View Full Version : Grade of Fever

Tinyones1981
04-11-2016, 08:02 AM
Hello everyone, I am just wondering what is your rule pertaining to fevers, I mean what temperature to you give the parents a call to say that they need to be picked up. I've heard anything from 99 to 101. Do you require them to be fever free for 24 hours without medication help before returning.

pink
04-11-2016, 08:13 AM
I found this document on-line, it's now part of my website http://scchildcare.org/media/29017/DHEC-Exclusion-List-Parent-Handbook.pdf

"Fever only
Keep your child home for a fever of 101 degrees or higher by
mouth or 100 degrees or higher if taken under the arm. Your
child can return to school or childcare with a parent note when
the fever is gone for at least 24 hours without the use of fever
reducing medications. Please note: An infant 4 months of age or
younger with a fever (100.4 F) should receive medical attention."

Hope this helps you :)

babydom
04-11-2016, 08:40 AM
I send home with anything 100 or over. And 24 hrs fever free without meds before returning

Busy ECE mommy
04-11-2016, 11:14 AM
I send home at 101 on it's own, or low grade fever with diarrhea/ or low fever and lethargic/low fever and not eating/drinking or low fever and not participating in all aspects of the program.
24 hrs fever free without meds to return.

kindertime
04-11-2016, 12:38 PM
I use Celcius, and so my threshold is 38C. (100.4F) 38C or more and the child is sent home, regardless of the suspected reason for the fever. I don't administer any fever reducing meds here, either.

As for the 24 hours, that clock starts at the end of the effectiveness of any medication given. So for an 8 hour advil, the clock starts if the fever is gone at the end of the 8 hours. I have frequently had kids sent home on day 1 with a fever, be absent on day 2, return on day 3, only to have the fever return and have to be sent home again that day.