PDA

View Full Version : Mothers Day crafts

babydom
05-02-2016, 07:06 AM
Tired of foot and hand prints. Ideas please???
Age group is 1-3 yrs and don't want a lot of steps and supplies.
Any ideas??
Thank u!!!

ebhappydc
05-02-2016, 07:18 AM
Making a simple card of a bouquet made with foam heart flowers in a pot along with their decorative scribbling. Every year I attach a memory stick to the card of about 20 min video of their child at daycare. Dad gets the handprint at Fathers Day.

5 Little Monkeys
05-02-2016, 07:43 AM
I feel like we do a lot of hand/foot prints too....thankfully, parents never seem to get sick of them!!

I haven't fully decided yet but an idea from another dc group I'm part of that I'm leaning towards is a strawberry shaped card (likely with an upside down hand for a strawberry in the inside lmao) with chocolate covered strawberries that the kids can make and decorate.

One mom can't eat chocolate due to an allergy though.....any other ideas as to what to dip hers in? Or just do chocolate and let her family eat them??

Busy ECE mommy
05-02-2016, 09:45 AM
Paint/decorate a flower pot with a live flower in it, and a card.

lemondrop
05-02-2016, 11:55 AM
One mom can't eat chocolate due to an allergy though.....any other ideas as to what to dip hers in? Or just do chocolate and let her family eat them??
Most melting chocolate is not actually chocolate! You could buy some pink melts or whatever colour would look nice.

lemondrop
05-02-2016, 11:56 AM
I have some tiny glass yogurt pots and we're planting little succulents in them and adding a ribbon and card. Ages 16mos- 3yo

5 Little Monkeys
05-02-2016, 12:49 PM
Most melting chocolate is not actually chocolate! You could buy some pink melts or whatever colour would look nice.

Whoa, really?!?! I didn't know this! What are they made of?? I gotta go google now lol

Van
05-02-2016, 03:35 PM
heart shape paper then use a heart shape block to print hearts on it

babydom
05-02-2016, 03:36 PM
Thanks everyone!

kindertime
05-02-2016, 04:36 PM
Last year, the cards we did... I took a picture of each child from the side, their profile. (Too hard to get them to stand still to do the shadow outline at this age!) Then printed them large, cut them out to the shape of the face and traced and cut them out on large folded paper. The card was their profile which the children then decorated. Some parents noticed it was a profile, some didn't :D

I also think we will try the flowers we did a few years ago. Colored tissue paper, cut in circles. Scrunched in the middle and held by a small piece of pipe cleaner. Sticking a bunch of these into a Styrofoam cup makes a cute bouquet.

lemondrop
05-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Whoa, really?!?! I didn't know this! What are they made of?? I gotta go google now lol

Here are the ingredients for the white melts: Sugar, Partly hydrogenated palm kernal oil, Milk protein, Whole milk solids, Nonfat dry milk solids, Emulsifier: Soya: E322, Salt, Flavouring.

bright sparks
05-03-2016, 07:53 AM
Like with all crafts, I tell the parents they will never have a craft or picture on their fridge that I have done lol So when I have very little ones, like I do now, I make a keepsake for the moms. I trace their hands and attach some ribbon from one to another which spans the same length as the child, and write on one hand "I love you..." and the other hand"...this much." I may also get the kids to fingerpaint some little terracotta pots and add a small plant. For fathers day, I like to trace a single hand, place a picture of the child in the centre, laminate it and add a magnet to the back. We also fingerpaint ties too.

5 Little Monkeys
05-03-2016, 08:08 AM
Like with all crafts, I tell the parents they will never have a craft or picture on their fridge that I have done lol So when I have very little ones, like I do now, I make a keepsake for the moms. I trace their hands and attach some ribbon from one to another which spans the same length as the child, and write on one hand "I love you..." and the other hand"...this much." I may also get the kids to fingerpaint some little terracotta pots and add a small plant. For fathers day, I like to trace a single hand, place a picture of the child in the centre, laminate it and add a magnet to the back. We also fingerpaint ties too.

Who has time to do that?? Lol. All of our stuff is made by the kids too :)

I used to never do crafts, just art, but over time I've introduced them into my program. Damn Pinterest!!! ;)

On the plus side though, kids love making them for their parents. I wish I was as crafty as these kids lol

bright sparks
05-03-2016, 11:14 AM
Who has time to do that?? Lol. All of our stuff is made by the kids too :)

I used to never do crafts, just art, but over time I've introduced them into my program. Damn Pinterest!!! ;)

On the plus side though, kids love making them for their parents. I wish I was as crafty as these kids lol

I literally spend one single naptime doing them for everyone, maybe an 1 1/2 hrs and the mothers always love them as a keepsake.

I tend to do more sensory activities with the younger kids who may not be interested in crafts. I love crafting with the kids and Pinterest makes it so much easier. :D

5 Little Monkeys
05-03-2016, 12:25 PM
Haha, no I meant who has the time to make the crafts for the kids :)

In centres and college we were always taught crafts were bad and art was good. But than I try to put together something from IKEA and I wonder if crafts actually do serve a purpose?!? Lmao

I used to have a dad who never believed anything I sent home was made by his son (art related, didn't do crafts at that time). His son was around 10-14 months than. I finally started recording his son doing his art and sending it to dad. He was so shocked!!! Lol

Suzie_Homemaker
05-03-2016, 01:43 PM
I found small heart shape silicon mold in Dollar store. Has 6 little heart shapes in one tray. We put modeling clay in heart shape and pressed thumb in and small hole to thread ribbon loop and let dry. We then spray gold. Added poem from internet about fingerprint fading and attached little thumbprint/heart shape.

Mommy

You always clean the fingerprints I leave upon the wall
I seem to make a mess of things because I am so small
The years will pass so quickly I'll soon be grown like you
And all my little fingerprints will surely fade from view
So here's a special fingerprint a memory that is true
So you'll recall the very day I made it just for you

MommaL
05-04-2016, 12:43 PM
My group finger-painted picture frames. I took a picture of each child while they were painting (the kids who were covered in paint had the best photos! :)) and am putting those in the frames.

babydom
05-04-2016, 01:36 PM
We ended up doing this one today :)

ebhappydc
05-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Got some sheer pouches at dollar store (in bridal section) and the kids filled them with dried citrus peels/evergreen clippings, dried flower pot pourri, and dried lavender from store, and also some sparkly gems. It will be attached to a hand made card with a pic of child. Lots of fun for the kids. Even the really little ones loved helping to fill the pouches with nice scents.