PDA

View Full Version : Feeding 1 yr olds

Busy ECE mommy
05-06-2016, 12:25 PM
I serve 2 snacks and a lunch to all my daycare children. I have a 1 yr old whose parent is asking me to provide another snack during the day(child is here about 7.5 hrs). I have never added a 4th meal time, and I don't have the time to do it with morning naps/crafts/circle/outdoor play etc. The child has been here about a month, and it's a new request. Thoughts??

Lee-Bee
05-06-2016, 12:48 PM
When are they expecting the extra meal?
It is hard as some families literally let their kids snack all day. So their stomachs are trained to need to eat constantly. Does this child eat a substantial amount at the 3 meals offered, or just graze?

When I had my group of 5 toddlers I did do an extra morning snack as they did the 2 naps, then they switched to one early nap (at 11:30) and it left big meal time gaps.

But, for a 7.5 hrs day I don't think a child should NEED 4 meals...they need to be trained to eat more when it is time to eat.

Can the parent provide a quick snack before or after coming? Do they feel the child is losing it when they get home and feel more food would solve this? What is making them request more food?

I do part time care right now and I have a 1 and 2 yr old that only come 2-2.5 hrs in the afternoon. They eat frequently at home. I feed a snack shortly after they come and I know they are legitimately hungry by the end of their time here...but I can't be feeding them 2x in 2hrs. Not only does it take up time but it costs money. AND I know they are walking home and eating immediately after being picked up, so they just need to adapt and will eventually eat more when I offer it and their bodies will adapt to waiting till supper.

My main concern with kids that snack all day is it is generally not the healthy foods they fill up on and then they are not hungry enough to want to eat the main meal foods (healthier choices). The NEED to be hungry when they come to the table. Maybe explain this to the parents?

kindertime
05-06-2016, 12:53 PM
Just out of curiosity, was there a reason given with the request? If the child is eating the normal amount at your scheduled times, then there should be no need for an additional snack. Especially for 7.5 hours. And even then, at 12 months+ a child is usually capable of deciding what and how much they want to eat.

Did you explain the reality of daycare scheduling to the parent? Most people don't really understand what it's like during the day and maybe just a bit of an explanation of the time required for snack and lunch would let the parent understand. Snack might be eaten in 5 minutes, but there's 10-15 mins prep time, and 10-15 min. clean up time after too. This is not even taking into account the cost associated. If you are giving 1 child an extra snack, you're gonna have all the kids wanting it too. Even if the parent provides the snack, do you allow outside food to come in? I personally don't. Not since the time the parent brought "breakfast" for the kids - Fruit Loops.

mickyc
05-06-2016, 02:44 PM
Yes curious as to the reason why? Even if the child is hungry when they get home they can give the snack then. The child isn't old enough to say they are still really hungry during the day so I find this request very odd.

Regardless of reasoning I would not do it. I once let a family bring breakfast as their commute was long. Never again. Other kids wanting food, junk being sent for breakfast, extra mess/dishes, extra time . Nope nope nope. My routine is my routine.

Suzie_Homemaker
05-06-2016, 07:03 PM
I serve 2 snack and lunch too. And I generous with portion compared to other dayhome meals I seen on Facebook. That said, I have one little girl here who is fine with schedule meals even though she look anytime my husband or I walk into kitchen in case it going to be something for her. When she get home, she literally eat for 3 hours until bedtime. Mom say she eat whole banana, half apple, yogurt, raisins, supper, and it endless until she crashes at 7pm for bedtime. She even bang on their pantry door for food as she only 18 month and limited vocabulary.

Kath
05-09-2016, 04:06 PM
I would say yes, if they provide that extra snack. Your rates account for the 1 meal and 2 snacks. That's totally standard. If they think it should be no big deal, then should be no big deal for them to provide. Assuming a snack costs $2 per serving (not unusual if it's organic), that's $10 per week, and about $500 per year. No big deal, eh?
Most parents that promise food, in my experience, don't end up bringing anything as it's such a bother for them.

Busy ECE mommy
05-09-2016, 05:24 PM
I have since found out he eats 7 times a day at home. He eats the same portions as my 2-4 yr olds, and they are able to stay full with 2 snacks and lunch.

5 Little Monkeys
05-09-2016, 07:30 PM
If they supply it, than yes I'd give it to him. I wouldn't have an issue with other kids wanting one too because here they learn that things aren't always equal. That may sound harsh to others but in reality, it's life and I teach that lesson early lol. We don't always get what our friend has and that's just the way it is. However, I also have my dc set up in a way that this wouldn't inconvenience me or the kids. If it did, than I don't think it would be unfair to say no

Lee-Bee
05-09-2016, 08:24 PM
Does the child "ask" you for food? I find some people just don't know what to do with kids so food is an easy way to keep the busy and happy. Maybe they feed him 7x a day just out of habit and assume he NEEDS the more frequent feedings so worry he will be hungry at your place?

We've made a habit of only feeding my daughter (and DCK) at the kitchen table. It is more effort to have a snack than it is to otherwise occupy a child. I ave many friends that literally throw fish crackers and fresh berries on the coffee table for the kids to eat while playing. I think it prevents children from recognizing the feeling of being hungry and needing nourishment over just eating because it is in reach.

The main question here is do you feel this child NEEDS more food and are you willing to change your regular routine to do this. If not, tell them and they can change daycares or adapt.

mickyc
05-10-2016, 11:06 AM
I think of it this way - if you do for one you need to be prepared to do for all. 1 wants an extra snack (even if parent provides) then older kid goes home and tells mom- that mom then requests extra snack for child. 1 wants the snack at 8, one wants the snack at 9 etc. next thing you know you are running around like a crazy person trying to accommodate everyone's requests and demands. If you feed 2 snacks and lunch stick to it. Kids don't need that amount of food and when they go to school they need to learn that they can eat at certain times. Just my opinion

Daycare Momma
05-11-2016, 09:07 AM
If they supply it, than yes I'd give it to him. I wouldn't have an issue with other kids wanting one too because here they learn that things aren't always equal. That may sound harsh to others but in reality, it's life and I teach that lesson early lol. We don't always get what our friend has and that's just the way it is. However, I also have my dc set up in a way that this wouldn't inconvenience me or the kids. If it did, than I don't think it would be unfair to say no

Totally agree with what you said here. It's best to let them see that's life. Besides once they get to kindergarten, they'll be bringing their own lunches and snacks to school which will all be different from eachother. This makes me wish we could stop providing snacks and meals for daycare kids and just have parents jump right in at the start and provide them for daycare since they will have to make that change for school in a few years anyway. IMO it's a bonus all around. Caregivers wouldn't have the expense (although would still have cleanup but that's fine), Parents would know and choose what their child is getting, and child will have foods that they're used to. If this were the situation, I'd be happy to provide a speacial lunch at the end of each month such as pizza simillar to pizza day at school.

mickyc
05-11-2016, 12:25 PM
For myself it's not so much that the kids eat different things as though them not understanding why one gets fed more than them. It's more about the routine of daycare IMO. If one gets an additional snack then they all should get the option.

I once let a family bring their 2 kids breakfast and let me tell you it was the worst thing I did. Timbits and chocolate milk on a regular basis was not my idea of a good breakfast. And of course the other kids were upset they didn't get the treat! I put a stop to it and they just ate it in the car before coming in instead. At least I didn't have the mess or other upset kids to worry about.

Interested to know what you decided to do?

Busy ECE mommy
05-11-2016, 01:08 PM
I've given him a drink, but not extra food. At home he's fed something about every 70 minutes he's awake. His intake here is the same/more than the preschoolers. I don't think he needs feeding that often. It is disruptive, as food is served in the kitchen, and I'm trying to supervise the playroom with 4 other kids. I can't be 2 places at once.

5 Little Monkeys
05-11-2016, 01:33 PM
For myself, we have routine and structure BUT at the same time, I respect that everyone is different. Some kids eat more often than others and if it was needed, I don't mind. The other kids of course will ask why but I'd answer them and move on. Just another life lesson IMO.

As long as it works for you and the family, great!

mickyc
05-12-2016, 11:19 AM
I've given him a drink, but not extra food. At home he's fed something about every 70 minutes he's awake. His intake here is the same/more than the preschoolers. I don't think he needs feeding that often. It is disruptive, as food is served in the kitchen, and I'm trying to supervise the playroom with 4 other kids. I can't be 2 places at once.

Exactly why I would not do it. It is disruptive and you have a schedule/program to run! Good for you.

Van
05-12-2016, 04:15 PM
I have four 1 year olds and I would not be able to put one child up in the high chair and leave the others down ,it seems unfair to the others so I agree with you a drink is fine

bright sparks
05-13-2016, 08:14 AM
Gahh...another case of difference in parenting that has me shaking my head...Like others have said, you have one schedule for all kids to be on and that includes meals and snacks. Extra is not and should not be made available. If this is truly a requirement then they need to find alternative childcare that can accommodate this request.

Lee-Bee
05-13-2016, 10:44 AM
I don't recall hearing the OP mentioning that this child NEEDS food more often. You've noted the child eats well at your meals and the parent feels the child needs more food and that at home the child if fed every 70 minutes. But, unless this child is showing you obvious signs of being distressed from hunger then I don't think there is anything more to do than to tell the parent they can provide some healthy snacks for you to store should the child appear to be hungry between meals provided but that your observations have been that the child is happily playing and is eating well at the table.

Should the child be showing signs of hunger you can decide whether or not YOU want to accommodate or be firm on your current practices. There is nothing wrong with saying it is not an option in your care. Most home providers and surely daycare centers would not be considering this parent request (especially without the child showing signs of hunger).

Busy ECE mommy
05-13-2016, 10:50 AM
No definite hunger signs that I've seen. Like I said, if the 2-4 year olds can remain full on my servings, I don't know why a 12 month old can't do the same.

Lee-Bee
05-13-2016, 11:50 AM
No definite hunger signs that I've seen. Like I said, if the 2-4 year olds can remain full on my servings, I don't know why a 12 month old can't do the same.

Well, it totally depends on a child's metabolism and how efficiently they burn energy. Also 2 years olds require LESS than a 1 year old. One year olds are still growing at a fast pace and 2 yr olds hit that pause in the physical growth so they require less food.

Some kids need little some need lots. So age isn't really a definite factor. My 3 yr old has always eaten wayyyy more than the average child. We've taken her the pediatric dietitian (more than once) and we are consistently told to trust her judgement on how much she needs to be full. BUT I can assure you the dietitian would not condone feeding a child every 70minutes AND that the foods provided NEED to be foods the adult chooses to serve and not what a child wants/requests. Our daughter eats hummus by the cupful and beans by the bowlful. But she has very little breads and crackers offered as that isn't what she NEEDS.

I would stick to reassuring the family that the child does not show signs of hunger and that the child is eating enough at meals. If you use statements comparing the child's intake to older kids then they have something to challenge you on.