PDA

View Full Version : Handbook and contract help?

kindredspirit
05-07-2016, 08:09 AM
I'm new to this, just started in February, and had initially wanted to be flexible, accommodating and helpful to parents. As a parent, I was a shiftworker and had to spend up to $1200/month for one child to get care for all our shifts. M-F workers in my area pay $700. Unfortunately, I've already had issues with parents haggling for lower rates, longer days, being late for pick up, dropping off an hour late with no notice, and not sending necessary items (like no shoes many times for a 1.5yo when I'm required by the province to go outside twice a day).

I've just gotten approved by an agency, and I do need to add things to my handbook to meet their regulations (simple things like a breastfeeding policy and including where our menu is posted). I'd like to take this opportunity to tweak other things in my favour and 'blame' it on the agency. Overall, this process is positive for parents, because it means I'm getting monthly inspections, and they know I'm being held accountable to the regulations, plus they can apply for government subsidy. I'm going to sit down with each parent outside of hours to go over the new paperwork, help them fill in the agency's form, and talk about the changes. My rates won't change, but I will now enforce being paid for scheduled days that they are absent, and only 2 weeks of discounted rate for vacations (after that they pay full rate to hold their spot).

What is the most important point of your contract? What do you wish you could have laid out to parents in the beginning?

Suzie_Homemaker
05-07-2016, 10:26 AM
For me, things I now have and didn't at first..

1) Payment is based on days registered not attend.
2) Payment is made in advance. EMT before arrival on fee day or cash in hand on arrival. Those who pay cash and won't be here on fee day must pay by EMT or bring cash prior business day. No fees = No care = No exception. Will be turned away at door.
3) Late payment charge of $20 per day balance is owed.
4) 4 week notice, fee due regardless of attending.
5) Instant termination if they dose and drop, pay late, pick up late more than once, if parent or child is aggressive verbal or physical to anyone in the dayhome.
6) Late pick up fee of $1 a minute
7) Enrollment fee (not deposit) equal one week fees (daily rate x number day register). Credit to final week of care if here more than 12 month. If leave sooner, no credit. This reduce people wanting short term care until space open in centre.
8) Closed all public holiday and stat day with pay.
9) 10 paid personal day per year for own sickness or vacation.
10) No discounts - not for their vacation or siblings or any other reason

kindertime
05-07-2016, 11:44 AM
My first piece of advice, give yourself the flexibility to change the policies as you go along. Obviously, you'll want to give parents notice in writing of any changes, and maybe you'd wait until new contract signing, but you should think of your handbook as a flexible document. People, in general, are creative. I've been doing this 10+ years and situations come up, that I could never have imagined. You'll see that on the forum, too!

My second piece of advice, know your rules, make sure the parents know them, and then enforce them. "What's the big deal? I'm only 2 mins late." Becomes 5 mins late and so on. This also applies to other policies, besides payment and attendance. If a child comes without outside shoes, meaning they can't play outside, then you would be perfectly justified in turning that parent around at the door and sending them home. When I make rules for the kids (and the parents) I always try to have a specific reason for it. Something concrete so I can say, "we do this, because of that." I personally have a rule about no food or toys from home. When a child walks in with something in their hand, I will take it. If its food (and I use that term loosely, usually candy or junk) it gets thrown out. Toys get handed to the parent on the way out the door. When this happens, it is very clear that the parent has left it for me to be the 'meanie.' This policy is in my handbook.

Lastly, there is no reason you can't offer flexiblity for parents in terms of hours and days, but you still need to have a steady, reliable income. I have read on this forum that providers who have part timers will require a certain amount of notice to change days of attendance. And often will leave at a specific time in the morning to go to the park, playgroup, etc. And so the parents who show up late, are required to meet the group where they are.

BlueRose
05-07-2016, 01:26 PM
for a sample hand book and other home daycare forms check out www.homedaycarebusin ess.weebly.com

kindredspirit
05-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Thanks all for your insight! I agree, kindertime, about sticking to my policies. One dad works shifts and slept in one day (arrived 15min late). I told him it was ok, the kids were enjoying their play. Then it's been 50/50 since that he's late, or he texts asking me to keep them up to an hour extra. I have a late fee in my handbook, but didn't feel comfortable charging it (I just charged my hourly rate for the hour extra). I'm going to communicate better about my policies, lower my late fee slightly, and be consistent with charging it each and every time.

RedWagon8823
04-25-2017, 12:53 PM
I have been think of creating a handbook. Does everyone find it more helpful? I want to add a little more professionalism to my daycare so I think it was be a good idea.

BlueRose
04-25-2017, 03:58 PM
RedWagon8823 - Yes a handbook can be very helpful. I have mine right on my website so they know exactly what I except from them and what my policies are before they even come to an interview. A handbook means they don't have to bother you about what your policies are they can just look them up.

kindredspirit
04-25-2017, 08:13 PM
I have had a much better time since making a handbook. Now I send it electronically before the interview, which saves time for everyone (filters the ones who wouldn't like my philosophy, and means I don't have to go through policies in the interview, just answer their questions). I have a line in my contract saying they have read it and agree to my policies. Since implementing it, I switched to full time only, and these families have been great, no issues with policies, hours or payments.

RedWagon8823
04-26-2017, 12:36 PM
This sounds great! I'm going to put some thought into what would be nice to ad, what you you recommend. I am recently with an agency but I'm going to be leaving in two months because they keep giving me the craziest clients

Van
04-26-2017, 03:17 PM
Are you having an easy time leaving your agency?
I thought it was hard to leave them?

ebhappydc
10-06-2017, 08:43 PM
A news link about a daycare that just started charging $300/child/one hr late near Toronto

http://toronto.citynews.ca/video/2017/10/04/etobicoke-daycare-hikes-parent-late-fees/

Peacefulbird
10-06-2017, 11:28 PM
My Goodness, I think I have been spoiled during all these years of work in the field. I do not have a manual (I thought in developing one, but always felt not needed); my contract is simple and clear four pages at the most point form.

I take most time conecting with parents; kind of helping each other relationship, I'm sincere of all the ins and outs of our work (reason why they're never late at pick up); I have started a extraclothing bank; little ones that grow up donate extra clothing for the coming babies, so we have a closet full of extra clothing and diapers for any age (so new parents aren't estressed out but, they always remember to bring extras next time; if they don't, it doesn't bother me to let use the daycare donated clothing, it is better for the environment I believe and also less headaches and frustrations for me; my days go smooth); I let them bring toys from home but, there is a sharing rule here during circle time we pass it on, we learn to respect and appreciate and return the toy, if it is a really especial toy (meaning not wanting to share later on, then the child chooses to keep it in her/his cubby until parents are back). It is amazing how they learn these concepts at early age.

The parents lately keep eyes open for sales of mittens, socks etc and they also swap their kids clothing and they bring extras for the group. They remember how they were helped at the beginning and they do the same for the next new families. They have learned to communicate to each other and shareD information. Every group I had they have stablished close friendships. Basically when a new family comes to the group the parents support them one way or another. They also let me know that a centre based or school is absolutely different from what we have here, and they value it;0)

So, I still debating in doing a hand book or not. I'm afraid that the formality of it, would change or affect of what I have now. I'm aware that they now see me as a warm caring person and I think (maybe I'm wrong) a hand book will portray me as a cold business oriented woman (especially when meeting new families).

I also keep them updated of any spot inquires, so, they know that if by any means our agreement doesn't suit them or suit me then there is people out waiting for a spot here. No issues at all.

Peacefulbird
10-06-2017, 11:40 PM

If you are in Ontario, I think that now would be hard to leave them because, they're getting extra grants for home enrollments. And that's the reason that some of them are currently offering "free licensing".

Peacefulbird
10-07-2017, 12:29 AM
only 2 weeks of discounted rate for vacations (after that they pay full rate to hold their spot

I do not.think it should be discounted; perhaps you can organize a same two weeks off for all your group, that way you still get paid and parents do not need to look for extra care when they're in holidays (summer break); I let parents choose the dates and we all agree to be out the same days. And the summer break dates are set at the beginning of the year so they can book it at their work.

If you still have issues with parents picking up late, do jot frustrate yourself start looking for new families and find the ones that value what you do. Sometimes is best to end in good terms than in bad ones, it is not worth the frustration and your valuable time. Late drOP offs doesn't bother me they all know I wait 1 HR st the most (while doing circle or craft); then they can figure it out how to find me. Either local parks or playgroups they also know I do not pay attention to phone calls or emails during my hours of work (caring for children need my absolute attention); so they all know my phone check ups are five minutes before I start then at 1:30 (nap time) pretty much before I start I know who's going to be late.

Suzie_Homemaker
10-07-2017, 10:57 AM

Agencies work differently depending on province. Some pay their agency or they take cut in fees. In PEI, we don't pay for agency. Agency is private company but licensed and makes money not from their dayhomes but from government grants based on how many homes they have under their care.

It simply a matter of telling an agency that they no longer wanted and for some, waiting a notice period here. We can opt in and out of agency as we wish but I imagine if done too often an agency might not want work with us.

Only potential complication is subsidy clients as here need the agency to process the government portion of fees. For a dayhome to switch to private, they would need to wait until no client's getting subsidy or inform parents they switching to private care so subsidy clients get notice to find alternative carer.

Van
10-07-2017, 04:12 PM
In BC you don't need an agency as we go with the Licence officer.
and the parents can apply for subsidy at all daycares not just lic daycare, plus all daycares are Lic and are visited by the Lic officer except the Lic Not Required daycares that only have 2 children plus their own ( LNR)

Van
10-07-2017, 04:21 PM
A news link about a daycare that just started charging $300/child/one hr late near Toronto

http://toronto.citynews.ca/video/2017/10/04/etobicoke-daycare-hikes-parent-late-fees/
Yes ebhappydc I saw this too on city news and the parent was complaining that it was too much as it would mean she would have to pay $600 - but that would be over the one hour late fee.
all it takes is a crash on the highway like they had during week in Toronto to be late for daycare pick-up.
Thanks for the link :)

Van
10-07-2017, 04:32 PM
I have been think of creating a handbook. Does everyone find it more helpful? I want to add a little more professionalism to my daycare so I think it was be a good idea.
I find it very helpful for parents to read as it covers any questions the parents may have and it looks professional .