PDA

View Full Version : Naptime advice?

kindredspirit
05-17-2016, 12:20 PM
I've had 2 boys coming for half days once a week this month (a break for their mom as their Dad is working away). The older boy, 4.5yo, has been begging to stay the whole day. Their mom asked me to do full day this week, and I agreed without thinking. The younger boy (2.5yo) still naps, around 1, same time as our quiet time. Right now I put my baby (8mo) in her crib in my room, dcb1 (1.5yo) on a floor bed in my daughter's room, and my daughter (3yo) and dcb2 (4.5yo) stay in the playroom for quiet activities like colouring or playdoh.

Dcb1 cries at nap time, I'm worried the new little boy won't be able to sleep. Should I try putting them upstairs in the same room (I can set up a second bed). Or should I move my baby to a play pen (travel size, not big enough for the 2.5yo), put the new boy in her crib (he sleeps in a crib at home)? Or try to get everyone to lie down?

For those with mixed age groups, what does your quiet time look like?

babydom
05-17-2016, 01:26 PM
I require quiet time up to age 4 till they leave for school. I only take under age 4 as I don't do school age. In my room I have two 2 yrs and two 3 yr olds all on cots on the floor spread out, my rm is large enough to spread out and then I put my 13mth old daycare girl in my sons rm in a playpen. They all sleep 12-3pm. The only reason the 1 yr old is in my sons rm is because sometimes she'll yell or cry out and I'll run up to sooth her then she'll go back to sleep. Most of the times she's out solid like the others :)

bluebirdfollower
05-17-2016, 08:46 PM
I agree with above poster and do the exact same thing! It takes time for a little one to get adjusted to the napping routine in a new setting. My recent DCB took about 6 weeks but now falls asleep first and naps for about 3 hours!

kindredspirit
05-17-2016, 09:59 PM
Thanks for your input! I set up the room so the 1.5yo and 2.5yo will go up to nap together, and hope for the best. I don't have nap mats for the 3 older ones. My 3yo has gone upstairs with her sister on occasion if she needs a nap, but prefers to stay up with the boys and go to bed early. I'm going to try getting them to do yoga on an area rug followed by guided visualization, and make them stay laying for 5-10 min afterwards. If it works I might buy some mats and have a progressively longer down time.

The 2 oldest boys will start school in the fall, but our province doesn't do JK, so they turn 5 this year, and don't take any rest/nap at home.

kindredspirit
05-18-2016, 08:31 PM
It went better than I could dream! DCB1, who usually screams, brought his blankie today (after I insisted he at least come with a familiar toy) and he just walked over to his bed and curled up. I tucked the other boy in, and they were out in minutes! The older ones were great for about 40min of quiet activities, then they were pushing all my buttons. I really need to work on getting them to at least lay down for a bit if not nap.