PDA

View Full Version : Swimming pool in ontario

bright sparks
05-26-2016, 08:44 AM
I'm curious to know if any providers have a swimming pool? I understand the huge liability of having one and also the issue with insurance, but I'm considering getting an above ground pool with fencing on four sides, not connected to the house. I'd like to find a way to make this work as quite frankly I'm sick of the constant sacrifices I've had to make on such a grand scale for the daycare, and while some make sense and are necessary, I'd like to try and work around some things and find some middle ground.

Those with pools, which insurance company covers you for daycare liability while having a pool?

TIA

crafty
05-26-2016, 09:18 AM
I use to have a pool all fenced in and everything never had problems with insurances. Actually they only asked if I had one and they still covered me for the same price. I was with Pembridge but used a broker.

babydom
05-26-2016, 09:24 AM
As far as I know here in ONT it's against the law to have a pool, hot tub or trampoline and no insurance company will insure u.

mattsmom
05-26-2016, 09:50 AM
As far as I know here in ONT it's against the law to have a pool, hot tub or trampoline and no insurance company will insure u.

It's not against the law...if you have any of these, they need to be inaccessible to the daycare children (fenced, locked, etc..). We have a hot tub, but we keep it locked when the daycare children are here and I am with a licensed agency. I've never had a problem with it.

Busy ECE mommy
05-26-2016, 11:06 AM
I know several providers in my area(southern ontario) who cannot use their yard for outdoor play because they have pools(fully fenced, I might add) They must use the area parks to play.

Lee-Bee
05-26-2016, 01:18 PM
http://www.pfrc.ca/information/ministry_regulations _on_swimming_pools_2 013.pdf

bright sparks
05-26-2016, 03:26 PM
http://www.pfrc.ca/information/ministry_regulations _on_swimming_pools_2 013.pdf

Thanks for this link Lee-Bee. This refers specifically to Licensed home daycare agencies, so as an independent unlicensed daycare, this does not apply to me. I know a number of providers in Burlington who have pools, but I am no longer connected with them to ask them about insurance etc, plus I am not 100% sure they would be compliant anyway.

bright sparks
05-26-2016, 03:29 PM

I think this seems to be the belief of many from what I've heard, but I have never found any official legal documentation to support this. Insurance companies rules for coverage is entirely up to them regardless of ministry laws. There is no universal policy that all companies apply and I hear all kinds of mixed information, but unfortunately nothing that can back up the claims. I want to be really sure on the legalities first and foremost, and then consider the impact it might have on potential clients as I understand many parents would see this as a negative.

Lee-Bee
05-26-2016, 05:32 PM
Thanks for this link Lee-Bee. This refers specifically to Licensed home daycare agencies, so as an independent unlicensed daycare, this does not apply to me. I know a number of providers in Burlington who have pools, but I am no longer connected with them to ask them about insurance etc, plus I am not 100% sure they would be compliant anyway.

I agree..but it seems to imply that licensed home daycares can have a pool but can't have access to it with the children. Which to me implies unlicensed home daycares are in the same position. It is not illegal to have a pool as long as the by-laws are being met.

lemondrop
05-26-2016, 06:18 PM
I belong to a Facebook group of HDP in Ontario, and this question comes up often. There is no legislation or regulation preventing ICPs from having a pool besides the bylaws everyone has to abide by, but whether you would be covered by your insurance carrier is up to them.

Suzie_Homemaker
05-26-2016, 07:40 PM
Maybe call the insurance companies first and see if anyone will cover, what their restrictions are and what insurance will cost. Can then make informed decision.

bright sparks
05-30-2016, 08:43 AM
Well that was easy! I'm currently insured with State Farm/Certa Home and I pay $250 a year for daycare ryder with 5mil liability. I just spoke to the actual insurance agent, not a rep, who said the pool is a none issue. As long as we follow the town by-laws for enclosure etc, it's of no concern to them. I would simply notify them when we had it installed with a value, and I'd also increase the liability insurance on my home policy in case, god forbid, there is an accident in the pool involving friends and guests.