PDA

View Full Version : Interviewing again!

mom-in-alberta
12-01-2011, 02:17 AM
I am a little nervous... haven't had to interview with parents for well over a year now. But at the moment I only have one full timer and one part timer. And my full timer is done on Dec 23, when his mom's mat leave starts!!!
Sooooo, up go the ads and the flyers. I have 2 meetings set up for Sunday. Had one for this evening, but she called me a couple days ago to cancel. She met with a provider that day and decided to go with her.

On the plus side; I asked my current and recently departed parents for some letters of reference IF they were comfortable providing them. And I got some really glowing reviews! LoL Nothing like a little pat on the back.
:)

I am wondering; do you do "extra" when you have interviews coming? I mean, do you clean your house just a little bit more, or do more crafts/activities with the children so they can see them?
Or is what they see, what they get?

dodge__driver11
12-01-2011, 06:00 AM
I usually serve coffee and one of my homebaked treats for the week...(on my menu, sheepish grin) then they know how good the little one will be eating tee hee...good luck... I am finally full :)) It felt good to get all my fees yesterday!!

Spixie33
12-01-2011, 12:52 PM
I usually serve coffee and one of my homebaked treats for the week...(on my menu, sheepish grin) then they know how good the little one will be eating tee hee...good luck... I am finally full :)) It felt good to get all my fees yesterday!!

Wow you cater to them? I don't offer them so much as a glass of water. I don't want them to get any ideas of being social or friends if we make a business arrangement. Your house is the one I want to go to for coffee and treats. lol

I do make an extra effort to clean the house and have toys organized when I interview.

I do make sure I have my newsletters out to show the parents but that is about it. I don't do any special crafts to show off. I have pictures/crafts up on the wall in the playroom and that is it

dodge__driver11
12-01-2011, 01:22 PM
if I like em hahaah

fruitloop
12-01-2011, 02:41 PM
I just make sure everything is clean and house smells good. That's it. I'm a "take me as I am" kinda person :)

Daymama
12-01-2011, 03:00 PM
I'm interviewing, too, for the first time since 4 years ago, believe it or not (friends of mine or younger siblings of current children have taken my spots over that time). I have filled one spot and am interviewing 3 part-time families this weekend for the rest of my spaces. If they all want the spots, I can only choose two. I hope it goes well - I am going to take my husband and children out to dinner to thank them for giving up their weekends for mama's interviews when my spots are filled.

I like to interview on Sunday afternoons, because my house is clean and I can have the playroom set up for Monday early. I don't serve coffee for worry of spilling hot drinks on a little one, and I explain this, but I offer water. I have a snack of fruit ready to serve if we need to. I clean like a maniac, lol!

I have started asking parents over the phone what their children are playing with and if they are afraid of anything so that I can be sure to have something out for them that will be appropriate and interesting. Once, I put out Busy Bugs manipulatives on a table for a little boy I was interviewing to play with - turned out he had a deathly fear of spiders and was a bit anxious about new places to start with. It did not go well, poor thing!