PDA

View Full Version : Doing Dk's laundry?

amber
12-01-2011, 06:13 AM
Hey ladies,
Quick question; if a child has an accident, or throws up on his clothes, do you wash his outfit?
I have one pukey kid, and while I always clean his clothing as much as I can, I do not put it through the washing machine. I rinse it off, and put it in a plastic bag with his stuff to go home.
His mom seems put off by the fact I don't do his laundry, but I can't justify the time or extra cost. Am I being reasonable?
Thanks!

dodge__driver11
12-01-2011, 06:19 AM
No way no how..I rinse if needed, but what if the little one is allergic to something?? I already, feed, change, hydrate and keep the kids busy I don't need to add laundry to that list :)

Nifer
12-01-2011, 06:31 AM
Nope. Would do just as you have said.
I'm not gonna throw in 2-3 items in the machine. Waste of time, water and hydro.
And I'm sure if your hydro is the same, but we have a new system where it costs diff amounts based on the time of day. So, I def would not be doing it during the high time.

Play and Learn
12-01-2011, 06:37 AM
Nope. Would do just as you have said.
I'm not gonna throw in 2-3 items in the machine. Waste of time, water and hydro.
And I'm sure if your hydro is the same, but we have a new system where it costs diff amounts based on the time of day. So, I def would not be doing it during the high time.
Same here - I don't even have time sometimes to rinse it off! It gets thrown into a plastic bag, and sits outside until pick-up.

Judy Trickett
12-01-2011, 06:41 AM
NO! First off, I am NOT touching it more than I have to. Second, when it comes to the cost and time involved in washing it I don't think that is our job to take on.

And third.....and this one is probably gonna get some raised eyebrows......someti mes when you have a kid who probably really "shouldn't be there" due to looser that usual stools OR, when parent is sending diapers that are the wrong size (after you ask them repeatedly to send others), OR a parent is sending a child in underwear proclaiming they are "potty trained" (but they really aren't) then a poopy outfit of clothes wrapped all day in a plastic bag IS incentive for them to pull up their socks and do what they need to do - bring better diapers, not send their kid in underwear, keep their "sick" kid home for the day etc etc etc.

I find that with dcparents if it is an inconvenience to YOU to do something (wash their clothes) then it is perfectly fine for them to expect it. But when it becomes an inconvenience to THEM (even when initially it SHOULD be the parent's responsibility) they finally get a clue and stop asking.

Bugaboo
12-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Great advise Judy! I think you are spot on. Sometimes you literally have to make parent's get a clue.

mom-in-alberta
12-01-2011, 10:40 AM
It depends. I have thrown things into the wash, but at my convenience. IE: kid has spaghetti sauce all over his shirt, I change him into the spare (that parents are required to have here), and wash/dry the previous shirt (when I am doing our own laundry) then throw it into the drawer. The shirt that got messy is now the spare shirt. I will tell mom that's what we have done, and if she wants to bring me another spare shirt to swap out, that's fine.
But no, I don't make a point of getting it clean in time for going home that day. And if there was an issue like Judy was saying, that is exactly how I would get the point across. In fact; that's how I hinted to a set of parents that it was time to move up to the next diaper size. I think they were reluctant because you get less in the larger sizes? But 4 days straight of pee pee pants, and they switched. LoL

Skysue
12-01-2011, 12:18 PM
For me yes and no! It all depends. i had a little one last year who was vomitting like every 10 minutes and it took Mom an hour to come get him. I threw everything I could in the laundry right away to avoid anyone else touching it. Plus i had to use several of my own blankets around him to throw up on rather than the floor.

I watch a little one who is allegic to wipes and Mom sends cloth, I wipe and put in a bag right away. No way am I touching it to rince. It's gross enough to have to put it in a bag!

Hydro is becomming very expensive so no way!

sunnydays
12-01-2011, 12:20 PM
No...I would never wash Dck's stuff! I don't even rinse it. It never even occurred to me to do such a thing. I have a 2 year old who quite frequently has blow-out poops...really gross since he is a big boy...I throw everything into a plastic bag as is. I find it difficult enough to deal with the clean-up without worrying about the parents' side of it. The only thing I do wash is the bedding for the playpens and the changing mats which stay at my house...but those are just a part of my weekly laundry. I have never had a parent complain.

Sunflower
12-01-2011, 12:21 PM
ewww, nope... I don't even rinse anything. It all goes in a plastic bag and goes home at the end of the day.

Spixie33
12-01-2011, 12:36 PM
No I don't wash their laundry. If a dck gets pee or poop on their clothes then the parents get a goody bag at pick up time.
Most kids have spare clothes here and I have kept a stash of sprae clothes that my own kids have outgrown just in case so I should never be in that situation.
I don't even wash my own families laundry during peak hydro hours so no way am I running a washer and dryer for someone elses' items.

A few weeks ago I did leave a 'goody' bag here where the DCG had peed on her pants and undies by accident. Since I forgot to give it to the parents and it was going into a weekend I washed it over the weekend (separate from my own family clothes) and returned it to the family but ONLY because it was my forgetfulness and because I didn't want it to get too rancid over the weekend

Tot-Time
12-01-2011, 07:58 PM
... when parent is sending diapers that are the wrong size (after you ask them repeatedly to send others),... then a poopy outfit of clothes wrapped all day in a plastic bag IS incentive for them to pull up their socks and do what they need to do - bring better diapers, not send their kid in underwear, keep their "sick" kid home for the day etc etc etc...

Soooo true!

I do not rise clothes at daycare nor do I clean clothes at daycare ~ with the exception of our beach clothing in the summer. It is easier for me to keep their towels and bathing suits for the summer and launder as needed.

Not rinsing or cleaning the clothes isn't being mean. Parents are responsible for the child's laundering and I am responsible for the child's safety and well being while the child is in my care. Doing laundry during daycare hours takes away the time that I can spend with the children :)