PDA

View Full Version : Can you "turn it off"?

mom-in-alberta
12-01-2011, 10:58 AM
I was wondering if any of you have noticed that you are always a daycare lady, even when you're not working?
Let me explain... I find myself parenting other people's children, even when we are at the swimming pool or the grocery store! Hahaha
I think that is because I see (in my opinion) such bad (LAZY!!) parenting, everywhere these days. I just can't help it. Hey, you aren't going to tell your kid to stop shaking that display rack at Wally World; somebody should!
I can't be the only one??? :p

Spixie33
12-01-2011, 11:20 AM
I am kind of more likely to avoid a situation in public where a child is acting up because I figure that it is MY TIME now and I do not want to see or hear the behaviour outside of business hours. lol
If I am in the store and see young children and a mom and there is some sort of bad behaviour or at the toy store and i see kids acting up then I am more likely to turn down a different aisle and stay FAR FAR away from the situation.
Kids seem to like me even when I am out in public off hours so I usually get cute grins from kids and glances but I try not to engage. I just want to focus on my own kids and my own peace and quiet and not be about other people's kids 24/7
I guess I'd rather be in a protective bubble and not see or hear other people's kids outside of daycare hours. heheh:p

Even worse...people like family and friends think that just because I do daycare for a living that when I go to a party or get together that I must want to be in charge of everyone's children or look after them, hold the babies and entertain the toddlers but I really don't. I want to relax and have down time too and do not like when they seem to think that I am a traveling super nanny or just can't wait to watch their children for them while they socialize or have fun. :no: so...I am getting good at avoiding the kids at get togethers and trying to stay away from other children with a 10ft pole. :D:laugh::laugh::p

Sunflower
12-01-2011, 12:16 PM
I am kind of more likely to avoid a situation in public where a child is acting up because I figure that it is MY TIME now and I do not want to see or hear the behaviour outside of business hours. lol
If I am in the store and see young children and a mom and there is some sort of bad behaviour or at the toy store and i see kids acting up then I am more likely to turn down a different aisle and stay FAR FAR away from the situation.
Kids seem to like me even when I am out in public off hours so I usually get cute grins from kids and glances but I try not to engage. I just want to focus on my own kids and my own peace and quiet and not be about other people's kids 24/7
I guess I'd rather be in a protective bubble and not see or hear other people's kids outside of daycare hours. heheh:p

Even worse...people like family and friends think that just because I do daycare for a living that when I go to a party or get together that I must want to be in charge of everyone's children or look after them, hold the babies and entertain the toddlers but I really don't. I want to relax and have down time too and do not like when they seem to think that I am a traveling super nanny or just can't wait to watch their children for them while they socialize or have fun. :no: so...I am getting good at avoiding the kids at get togethers and trying to stay away from other children with a 10ft pole. :D:laugh::laugh::p

hahahah I too avoid kids at all cost when out in public BUT god help them if I am up for a challenge.
If parents are around I don't meddle... but for example... once we were at the park and I saw some kids picking and being very rude to one of their "friends" and me and DH were the only adults around,
I told them off... I hate bullying.

At my son's school BBQ, I saw some kids breaking bushes and trees... told them to cut it out... all the other adults were watching them and shaking their head but no one said anything...
In situations like this I get involved, otherwise... nope.. I am "off" 50 hours a week is plenty !

ilovetolive
03-12-2013, 11:29 PM
yes! I find myself watching the behaviour of other kids at the park, malls, and so on. I told kids to stop climbing the trees at the park (these are baby trees and half of the branches have been torn off by kids trying to climb them) I told the kids (nope, I didn't know them) to get down, while their nannies sat on the grass playing with their iphones. I have shaken my finger (the no no gesture) at kids misbehaving in public places (without even thinking about the parents reaction). I did manage to restrain myself at the mall where a five year old boy was repeatedly shoving his mom over and over again while she tried to have a conversation on the phone (i actually had to leave the area because i found it so ridiculous that the mom just carried on talking on the phone)

mimi
03-13-2013, 07:00 AM
I was standing in line in a small store. A mom, her 4 yr old and grandma were behind me. Suddenly I heard mom sternly tell her son he is never to hit her again! She removed him from the store, knelt in front of him and gave him a good talking to. When they came back in grandma took him to the car to wait for mom. I couldn't help it..............I was so happy to see a parent actually parent their child and not let him get away with his misbehaviour, that I told her It must have been difficult, but she did the right thing. She was grateful for the positive acknowledgement. Otherwise, if I see a child misbehaving in public, I will give him/her a stern look for a moment and then walk away.

Momof4
03-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Oh, don't get me started on what I see in public and how I have to bite my tongue! I don't know who is out there teaching parents that their children should be the boss and running the entire family because I see that everywhere and it makes me so sad.

momofnerds
03-14-2013, 07:41 AM
ok, so I'm in downtown disney on sunday (yes I'm on vacation) and what do I see, a child about 9 or 10 with her nose in the corner in the store. My kids knew that if they were to act up they were going to join this girl too. Its so nice to see good parenting.

Momof4
03-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Momofnerds, that awesome to hear that a family is actually parenting their child while on the vacation they probably scrimped and saved to take but are instilling good values into their children at the same time. I'm picturing the child having a tantrum over a toy and most people wouldn't have the conviction to punish their child in public.

P.S. Have a wonderful vacation! I'm off to Florida very soon myself!

JennJubie
03-14-2013, 08:52 AM
ok, so I'm in downtown disney on sunday (yes I'm on vacation) and what do I see, a child about 9 or 10 with her nose in the corner in the store. My kids knew that if they were to act up they were going to join this girl too. Its so nice to see good parenting.

I once put my son on time out in the middle of Walmart. Made him sit down on the floor. Actually got a "good job, Mom" from someone passing by.

ms.kelly
03-14-2013, 09:10 AM
I do understand where you are all coming from, but I am proud to be "ON" pretty much 24/7!
In fact I think it helps! I treasure the moments I am free to relax so much more! And I can't help but think that anytime to teach something (to the children and parents) is worth it.

Perhaps I actually enjoy the company of kids more than parents at birthday parties because I always end up entertaining and as a former waitress and dishwasher and maid, cleaning up and around even someone else's house is compulsive!

Avoiding socializing with our fellow citizens seems to be increasing and lessens society to me. Do you know your neighbors? More and more rare these days and what does it teach our kids? I fear us isolating more and more...what length do we take don't speak to strangers? How will that affect their future education and careers if the children learn to avoid others?

Perhaps we need to learn how to mingle BETTER? By correcting a child in a kind way parents might notice their child's behavior is not appropriate. I agree these days children are getting lazy parenting and behaving worse...parents are working and stressing too much!

Fairness in all events! Don't be taken advantage of at a gathering but suggest how all attendees can assist the host/hostess by sharing the load. Many hands make light work! Sometimes I'll speak up and say, I'll watch baby while you eat if you can keep an eye on mine while I speak with so and so...

momofnerds
03-14-2013, 10:10 AM
the problem being on all the time is that it would drive me crazy. I hate going to walmart after 5pm because thats when all the kids start to have melt downs. I have seen so many older kids (I'm talking about 8yrs old and up) running up and down aisles, throwing themselves on the floor, spitting on food (yes it was at freshco) its like no one cares anymore, its like parenting is gone out the window.

mom-in-alberta
03-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Oooh, my old thread... :)
Glad to see I am not the only one. I, too, find that I attract children. In the baby play area of the mall, I suddenly found myself surrounded by babies and toddlers, even when I was not on daycare duty! I can't help but say "not in your mouth" or "we don't hit our friends!". LoL

gcj
03-14-2013, 11:58 AM
I try to avoid these situations at all costs! :p I notice kids, but have no interest in "parenting" them on my off time.

I guess it's VERY easy for me to turn it off. I'm not saying I don't judge and tell my husband how much better I could do.....:laugh: but I don't wanna do it!

Artsand crafts
03-14-2013, 12:12 PM
I try to avoid it at all cost, too. Unless they are about to or hurting another child. I know what you are saying momofnerds. It seems that now kids are the bosses of the houses.

Robyn
03-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Love this thread!!!!

I am on all the time I can't help it. Even before I was a DCP I never had any tolerance for poor behavior and lackadaisical parenting.

So I avoid situations where I might potentially have to look after any children outside of daycare hours.

It sounds horrible but I am starting to have a harder time keep my tongue in check when I see children misbehaving. I don't get overly involved I will make a point of saying to the child "I can see what you are doing and that isn't nice/polite/friendly/appropriate." That will generally stop them in their tracks.

Fearlessbaby
03-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Good for you! I do the same and thank goodness for ppl like us,,, some parents are absolutely clueless:ohmy: