PDA

View Full Version : Of topic: Spamy posts.

mamaof4
07-29-2016, 01:53 PM
I've noticed several posts that have been bordering on spam or not. I typically try to give the poster the benefit of the doubt- keep an eye on them- do you guys have any sage advice.

- your friendly neighborhood mod

bright sparks
07-29-2016, 02:22 PM
I've notice lots over the last few months and it seems like they are typically posts which include links to something they are trying to relate to. Why come to a daycare forum and ask for advice on addiction? Another was health and safety in the work place and that guy has posted more than once although it wasn't relative to childcare in a home setting. Are you the only moderator mamaof4? I haven't seen another and it must be hard to single handedly manage this issue.

kindertime
07-29-2016, 06:01 PM
I have noticed these posts too, usually so obvious because they are new members, posting at 2am, and give a long story that often doesn't make sense, along with the link. I am not afraid of offending any of them here because I would be surprised if any come back to see the replies. Replies aren't the point, getting people to click the link is the point.

I found out all about this when I was setting up my website, (no link, sorry!) and when you want to be at the top of Google search results, you need, among other things, other websites to link to yours. When Google searches the web, it finds the sites with the most traffic from the most sources. So,
Why come to a daycare forum and ask for advice on addiction?
because adding links to a bunch of other websites (it's easy to do this in a forum) gets more traffic to your site.

My suggestion would be to not allow new members to post links, otherwise the posts will be deleted. You could ask that current members could be the arbitrators and identify what we consider spam. Otherwise, unless anyone is really upset by them, we could just ignore.

bright sparks
07-29-2016, 07:59 PM
I have noticed these posts too, usually so obvious because they are new members, posting at 2am, and give a long story that often doesn't make sense, along with the link. I am not afraid of offending any of them here because I would be surprised if any come back to see the replies. Replies aren't the point, getting people to click the link is the point.

I found out all about this when I was setting up my website, (no link, sorry!) and when you want to be at the top of Google search results, you need, among other things, other websites to link to yours. When Google searches the web, it finds the sites with the most traffic from the most sources. So,
because adding links to a bunch of other websites (it's easy to do this in a forum) gets more traffic to your site.

My suggestion would be to not allow new members to post links, otherwise the posts will be deleted. You could ask that current members could be the arbitrators and identify what we consider spam. Otherwise, unless anyone is really upset by them, we could just ignore.

Oh I understand that. I meant, why would anyone come here to ask advice on addiction...more of a statement than a question. The answer clarifying that it is spam...because they wouldn't!

bright sparks
07-29-2016, 08:03 PM
With reference to the link in order to get traffic...not always the case at all. I am always in the top three, if not top, of results when searching my town and home daycare or simply daycare. I registered my business on Google my business, formally Google places, so Google will always display those business' first on a google search. I have no links anywhere to my website other than my daycare listing on daycare bear and I get all my visits via a web search.

mamaof4
07-29-2016, 08:20 PM
Can you guys report threads as you see them? I can track them a bit easier then.

I blocked the addiction guy if I recall

kindertime
09-17-2016, 07:13 AM
Okay, so it's getting a bit out of hand recently!! Obviously, the threads die out if no one responds to them, but I'm wondering if there is a way to block links. If this person can't post a link, they will likely stop. I know on other forums, new members aren't allowed to post links. You have to be an established member. Don't know if that is possible here.

lemondrop
09-17-2016, 09:17 AM
On other message boards and forums I'm on all new members are moderated for their first few posts. Is that possible here?

mamaof4
09-19-2016, 04:03 PM
On other message boards and forums I'm on all new members are moderated for their first few posts. Is that possible here?
I don't know- but I can run it by the admin.

I did alert the admin that we have been targeted by a huge amount of spam- which usually happens once or twice a year and originates from one grouping of IP address which will be banned. When I hear any info I will pass it along to you.