PDA

View Full Version : Clients and Facebook

Busy ECE mommy
08-03-2016, 12:50 PM
I have a client who is posting almost daily all over FB about their child's day at my daycare(all the good stuff/activities etc) So my concern is, what happens if this parent has concerns at some point? Will I see it plastered all over Facebook?
I've never had a parent do this before, so I find it a little unnerving. We live in a very populated area with lots of young families, so my reputation is always at stake. Thoughts?
Do I say anything? Thanks!

5 Little Monkeys
08-03-2016, 01:34 PM
I guess you could put a clause in your contract about this but IMO, it just comes with the job. Word of mouth and opinions of businesses are things that we can't control. It's just that nowadays, people voice their opinions online. I'm not saying it's right but I'm not sure I'd want to exert too much energy into worrying about it. Hopefully they never bad mouth you!

cfred
08-03-2016, 01:40 PM
My clients (all current and most past) are on my FB. I share photos of meals and activities with their kids and they share parts of my business with their friends. For me, it's been tremendous for advertising. Even with the one client things went badly with in the end, still there was nothing posted online that was negative. My clients all know me and each other outside of daycare because of my efforts to promote those relationships which, I think, has helped build loyalty. They were even at my wedding this summer...including the clients who just started here a few months ago. Hell...those clients who just started a few months ago, decided to hire me based on my meals posted on the public FB page...I think FB is a great tool.

Busy ECE mommy
08-03-2016, 02:09 PM
I don't have a business Facebook page, only my personal one. I have a business website. I have never added a client to my personal "friends" on FB, but she asked several months ago, as she had several kids here previously, and was looking for the last child to get a spot. A very nice family, but I don't post much on my personal page, as I'm always worried about things coming back to haunt you! I guess she's of that generation that posts it all! Should I do a business FB page, and get her off my personal friends list?

cfred
08-03-2016, 02:38 PM
I started a business FB page as, to me, it was just some additional free advertising. It's open to the public and posts are limited. I've snagged a number of clients through that, in addition to a website, this site, etc. Most of my career's clients are on my personal page, too. I've never been terribly concerned about anything coming back to haunt me as...well...my life isn't all that interesting and I don't post anything unusually questionable. I've never had a problem, nor have I had a concern. But starting a business page is a good idea if you're looking to get her off your personal page. It sounds to me like she just wants to stay connected to and tout her good choice of childcare. It's quite flattering, really.

mickyc
08-03-2016, 02:39 PM
I don't have my current families as facebook friends. They are free to like my daycare page but I never add them to my personal page. I have a few previous parents who I got close with that are gone from my daycare that I have added as friends. I don't ever post any complaints about my daycare day online.

It's all part of the job, if they complain about me online it is what it is. I don't have them as friends so I don't know any different.

Van
08-03-2016, 03:15 PM
I would see it as an added bonus as it is just part of the job and now that you know about it you can work it to your advantage