PDA

View Full Version : How much the utilities costs?

Cocoon
12-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm currently renting a 2 bedroom flat and some bills are included in the price. Our contract ends this month and i really don't want to renew it as we looked around and found that we are paying more compare to other flats around the area and we can actually rent a 3 bedroom house if we pay bills on top.

Now, my question is how much do you pay for the utilities(electric, water, heating etc.)? And which city do you live? Another question is what percentage can you claim?

Thanks in advance.
Cocoon

Spixie33
12-02-2011, 04:47 PM
A 3 bedroom house you should probably budget

$60 a month for water
$100 for hydro
$120 for gas

I am not sure what you can claim. I have an accountant who does the figures for me every year

sunnydays
12-02-2011, 06:38 PM
This depends on so many things...the square footage of the home...how well insulated it is...how many people in your family...and most of all, where you live. I have a 4 bedroom house in Ottawa and spend about $100 + for water, $100 hydro and gas ranges from about $30 in summer to $200+ in winter (all these figures are monthly). You should be able to get these figures from landlords who are advertising homes for rent, so it might just take some calling around.

Cocoon
12-02-2011, 10:17 PM
When my husband rented this flat he has been told by the landlord that the electricity would be around $40. Since we moved we always paid around $70 for the electricity. I have asked landlords who are renting out their condos/town houses and they said around $200 which seems to me a bit low compare to the electricity bill we are paying. Friend of mine said they are (landlords) giving me the lower end so that you will rent their house. She also told me that they pay around $300 for water. elect. and gas. I'm a bit confused. By the way, I'm in Calgary.

mom-in-alberta
12-03-2011, 03:04 PM
I am just outside of Calgary. We pay a minimum of $300 a month for electricity. During the winter, our gas bill is around $300-400, summer usually under $100. We don't pay for water as we are on a well.
HOWEVER, we are in an old house, that is quite large, not very efficient, and we have quite a lot of people living here (our family of 5+ a baby, and my in laws in the basement suite are 3+ a baby). It can vary so much!!

playfelt
12-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Other variables include where your playroom is. In the basement you will have all the lights on year round. Making sure to use energy efficient lightbulbs will reduce the costs. How much the tv or computer or other electronics are on as in how you use the electricity will matter.

When you go househunting sometimes a homeowner will have that kind of information available. One big amount to factor into your buying is property taxes which you don't pay when you rent.

Cocoon
12-09-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm really good with electricity, water etc. as I don't like to waste. I don't watch tv. much but we do have a big screen TV. and we both love our laptops :) I guess I should add $300 not $200 on top of the rent. Thank you all.

Cocoon

momplus6
12-09-2011, 09:07 PM
The winter will be when you are hardest hit as your enmax(electricty, sewage, water, garbage) bill will be really high but the one to really be prepared for is gas that one is usually very high for 3-4 months I usually pay between 200-250 between April-October for enmax and then only about 50-80 for gas but usually December-April for gas can be as high as 300 some months personally I would average your bills at 400 over rent 8 months out of the year will probably be closer to 300 but the other 3-4 months could be 600-700 a month. (I believe your in Calgary sorry if I am wrong)

momplus6
12-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Should add some apartements/condo's include heat, water, sewage fees so you are only paying electricty. When you get a whole house your enmax bill will be for electricty, water, sewage, and waste plus you will have a gas bill(you can add that to enmax or go with Direct Energy)

Cocoon
12-10-2011, 10:39 AM
It is very costly to rent or buy a house here then, considering houses made from wood here. I have looked at house prices and I think Canadians paying way too much for a house made by wood. That's another story of course.

Thank you all for your comments. I will be adding extra $300-350 on top of the rent if I decided to rent a house.

Cocoon

Cocoon
12-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Momplus6, yes I live in Calgary.

fruitloop
11-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Our Enmax bill is about $200-$250/month and our water bill is about $180 every 2 months.