PDA

View Full Version : So discouraged!!

babydom
08-22-2016, 09:12 AM
I'm feeling so down. I have two over two spots open. Have been empty for a few mths. I'm getting worried. I can't fill them. I'm starting to not be able to pay bills. :(. I feel like I have tried everything. Advertise every wk on Facebook groups. Answer all looking for ads. Get out to playgroups and parks. What eles can I do?? I even changed my playroom around thinking, build it and they will come. I'm so eager to find clients. So eager to work and be more busy. I feel so restless sitting here waiting for parents to come to me. Is there anything eles I'm not doing? Getting so frustrated and so stressed out :(. Not enjoying my days because of it. Just feel down.

Busy ECE mommy
08-22-2016, 11:21 AM
Have you thought of filling those spots with school age kids who need before&after care? Or running a morning preschool program for 2 years plus?

babydom
08-22-2016, 11:52 AM
Everyone in my area does the b/a school care at the school. I advertise for over 2 but nothing. Everyone wants for a yr. I'm just starting now to get enquirers for 1yr olds in Jan when I can take a one but that's still sept to dec with two empty spaces. It's these new rules that is screwing everyone up :(

Busy ECE mommy
08-22-2016, 12:56 PM
We have alot of moms on mat. leave in our area(Halton) looking for 2-3 days a week for their preschoolers while mom is at home with baby. Do you offer part-time spaces for the "over 2's"?

mickyc
08-22-2016, 01:31 PM
Can you offer part time/casual for now with the understanding that should you find a full time family the spot is no longer available?

Lee-Bee
08-22-2016, 08:04 PM
While it won't help short term try to fill that under 2 January spot with a sibling set (one under 2 and an older sibling) that will at least help fill in an over 2 spot.

babydom
08-22-2016, 08:58 PM
I advertisd for everything. Part time, Occasional, full time and was getting nothing!

Well maybe I just needed to put my frustration out into the universe. I had 7 moms contact me today and confirmed 5 interviews! Phew! Now let's just hope atleast one signs on out of these five! Thanks ladies!

Suzie_Homemaker
08-23-2016, 05:41 AM
1. Maybe offer drop in places until Jan then sign with someone want Jan start.
2. Target SAHM who maybe need odd day child free for run errands.
3. Get magnetic car sign and park car where visible to passing traffic.
4. Make sure park car near entrance of grocery store when shopping for higher visibility.
5. If bylaw allow, get lawn sign too.
6. Think about place Mom go with child - library, doctor, dentist, grocery store, pharmacy, play places, local park and place flyers for drop in care or short term care.
7. Go and speak to local Elementary school once SEpt come and see if they let you have flyer there. Lot of family new to area will ask school secretary if they know someone.
8. See if you know local realtor and if they have welcome pack for new residents and add business card to their pack.
9. Consider an open day on the weekend where people can come and see space. Have handbooks printed for people to take away and business cards.
10. Network with other local providers. Then if one has closure day for provider's sickness or appointment they can give out your name to cover that day.
11. Local group like Beavers/Scout/Guide be starting up soon. See if you can leave business cards there too in case parent have younger child and need care either temp, drop in or sooner than Jan.
12. If have community mail boxes, put flyer there or at Elementary bus stop nearest your home.

babydom
08-23-2016, 07:35 AM
Thanx Suzie!

mickyc
08-23-2016, 07:59 AM
Fantastic news!!!!!

SunShyne
08-23-2016, 10:08 AM
Totally get what you are going through!!! I myself am stressing over the same issue. I have 3 great kids (2 under 2yrs and 1 that is 2yrs) but I cannot fill my last two spots for over 2yrs and by October I won't be able to cover my bills either. I am advertising everywhere and for 2+yrs yet all I get are calls for 1yr... Sometimes it's nice to hear of other people in the same boat. Keep your head up cause things will turn around. I have other family members who have been doing this for years and both told me that they took over a year to get full-time clients to cover all spots.

Van
08-23-2016, 02:24 PM
7 contact you in one day!!!!!
5 interviews to do !!!l
WHOW!!!! :)

Van
08-23-2016, 02:27 PM
Some Moms just wait till the last minute to make the call
Good luck babydom and sunshyne

5 Little Monkeys
08-23-2016, 06:17 PM
Is there an incentive you can offer that others don't in your area? A $5/day decrease? Transportation to school? A one week unpaid holiday for parents? Pre-school readiness for older children? (even something like 30 minutes after the littles go to bed, you do something with the older ones before they nap?)

If you do a fee decrease or something along those lines, your current parents don't even need to know. I have often had families paying different prices, usually new ones pay more, but in this case a decrease may get you new families and will allow you to pay your bills again!

Good luck!! We all know the feeling that comes with open spaces and it's never a good one!!

33 Daiseys
08-24-2016, 01:11 PM
I hope you get at least a few potentials:) Nothing worse then having to stress over filling spots. Wish you all he luck in the world. Do you have a local library to go to for story time. I find it's a great place to make contacts)

Van
08-24-2016, 03:50 PM
Next you will tell us they all want the spots and you only have 2 to give :) LOL