PDA

View Full Version : Home Trampoline Injury

ebhappydc
09-06-2016, 06:52 AM
Hi All,
One of my dcb who is a bit over 2 got injured over this past long weekend at his home trampoline. Mom took him to ER and advised that he has a 'bowed' leg and some injury to ligaments and muscles but no cast needed. He's on pain meds as well.
I can certainly deal with this, but has anyone had to deal with a broken limb and cast? I wondered what I would do about other children coming near to injury which for the first few weeks would be tender and sore. Isolate child somehow? I've had 5 boys in daycare, and, well, they are all over each other at times... just wondering if any of you have had to deal?

thanks!

bright sparks
09-06-2016, 08:18 AM
I think it comes down to the fact that if he isn't able to partake in the normal daycare day that he needs to stay home. There is the risk factor of further injury in a group environment and as a single caregiver environment, isolation or separation from the others isn't realistic in my opinion. I think at least a few days home to heal is called for. Also a two year old on pain meds indicates to me a pretty clear picture that this child is in a fair bit of pain. Again not someone who should be at daycare in my opinion.

Did mum give you a heads up about this prior to drop off?

ebhappydc
09-06-2016, 08:57 AM
Yes, mom sent a heads up email last night that it happened Fri evening. She said that he was able to crawl around again yesterday but not putting weight on it. I thought I'd see how it goes. At drop off today he crawled into daycare slow but ok. Luckily he has a naturally happy disposition and isn't a whiny child. It's getting better and today not on meds anymore. You're right tho daycare not a good place for more serious injuries and i would have insisted on home care if it was worse. Tx

5 Little Monkeys
09-06-2016, 11:24 AM
3 years ago this Fall I had a child start daycare with a cast on his arm. He was about 15 months if I remember right (def younger than 18 mths) and had broke it in a bouncy castle with his parents. He was in pain I'm sure but as far as daycare activities went, it didn't slow him down!! The other kids were great with it too and were all careful around him. It was absolutely fine IME

Van
09-06-2016, 04:24 PM
10 years ago a child started with a cast on his leg after an operation to straighten his leg and he was only 8 months !!! but it worked out fine as I use to put him in a playpen whenever I felt it was a bit much for him or the other children as I had all boys at the time

Suzie_Homemaker
09-07-2016, 08:27 AM
I had child in cast few year back - accident happen here when larger child not look where going and trip and fall on younger child. He not allow put weight on it for few week. He about 2.5 when happen.
I did mean lift him in and out of crib and he had ride wagon instead walk but not unmanageable.
I not think reasonable to exclude based on unable to fully participate. It just one of those thing and child not ill.

ebhappydc
09-08-2016, 08:14 AM
I think also depends the extent of injury/initial swelling and disposition of child, but I know parents couldn't take more than a day or two off. My dcb is crawling around fast now on all fours or just on knees and playing hard with the others. Is it possible that he can walk but he just remembers getting hurt so he isn't even going to try? It's been a week now. Guess time will tell!