PDA

View Full Version : Snack for preschool

gcj
12-05-2011, 06:58 AM
If a child leaves for preschool from my home daycare in the morning, who's responisibility is it to provide the snack? Of course if she stayed here, I'd be giving her a snack, but is it really up to me to prepare one to take to school with her???
Seems like a grey area to me...It's not that I totally mind, it's just been a lot of issues with the parents, so I no longer know if they're asking too much or if I'm just no longer objective...
Thanks!

lilac
12-05-2011, 07:16 AM
I did not provide a snack when the little girl I had went to playschool, then again, mum did not ask me too.

gcj
12-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Exactly...mum did not ask you to. I wish they were all like that. Although in 3 years it's the first time I've made a poor decision in taking a child....and I kind of knew it, I was just tempted by her light schedule...that'll teach me! :p

playfelt
12-05-2011, 07:33 AM
If t hey are still paying you for the full time space even though the child is at preschool then you could provide the snack if you wanted to but certainly not if the parent is not payingn for the equivalent time in your daycare. At the same time when I took school age my contract did say "any food for outside the daycare was to be provided by the parent". I probably would say that snack at preschool is the parent's responsibility since they chose for the child to attend. It is not your job to make a separate snack for the child to take with them.

Judy Trickett
12-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Not YOUR job. No snack. The second the child sets foot out of YOUR care it is no longer ANY of your responsibility for anything that happens at the pre-school and that includes snack.

Look at it this way.....if a child was b/a school and in kindergarten would you pack that child a snack to go to half-day kindy??

mom-in-alberta
12-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Hmmm. I would not think it was my responsibility. Yes, if she was there, she would be having snack with you. But she is NOT!
Besides, it wasn't discussed that you would be doing that. And now you may even be incurring extra costs (ie; sandwich baggies, ziploc or tupperware containters, juice boxes, etc) that you normally wouldn't. Not to mention the extra time required to portion and package her share. It's not a lot of time, but it adds up.
Also, the preschools my kids went to had some pretty strict guidelines about what could/could not be sent, and very often had themed snacks (ie; a certain color or shape that week). How will you be notified of this? And what if it doesn't fit into the snacks you have planned?

lilac
12-08-2011, 04:25 PM
I also figured that even thought the child was not with me for 2 hrs in the am, I still was taking her back and forth to the playschool, it was mom's decision to put her in playschool, so I too think she should be providing the snack...

Judy Trickett
12-08-2011, 05:41 PM
I also figured that even thought the child was not with me for 2 hrs in the am, I still was taking her back and forth to the playschool, it was mom's decision to put her in playschool, so I too think she should be providing the snack...

You are transporting a kid back and forth to playschool? I sure hope you are getting paid to do that. That is A LOT of work with other kids in care.

mom-in-alberta
12-09-2011, 06:29 PM
No kidding. I did school transport last year.... ugh. I didn't charge more specifically, but mom paid for a full time space even though he was in school Mon to Fri, mornings.
Never again.