PDA

View Full Version : What to tell parents?

little rascals
12-05-2011, 10:19 PM
I want to revise my contract as there are some things that i feel i need to add since I opened. Do you need to let the parents know that signed the first contract? Also, Should they sign the new one?

Judy Trickett
12-06-2011, 06:13 AM
You make up new contracts with whatever you want in them. And you date them to start Jan 1st and END Dec 31st. EVERY December you send out new contracts and you amend them at that time with whatever you want to change or add etc.

Then you send a cover letter with the contracts that tell them these are the new contracts and "please sign and return the contracts by XX date to ensure continued care in January. Contracts not signed and returned signify your disagreement with the new terms and your enrollment will be subject to termination effective January 1st".

That quoted line tells them a few things:

1. There is a DUE date to return them
2. The contract is NOT negotiable
3. If they don't agree with the new contract then they are gone. Period. You will fill their spot

I believe every provider should renew contracts every year. ALL contracts should have an expiry date on them.

Daymama
12-06-2011, 08:37 AM
I totally agree with you on all points, Judy - I've done this for years.

The only thing I do differently is that my contract due date is August 1 rather than January 1. I've thought about a Jan 1 year end, but I've decided to go with the summer date for a couple of reasons. First, November/December is soooo busy for me with family stuff and I'm not sure I'd be organized enough to do the contract signing meetings then. I meet with each family briefly and go over all changes before we sign and also do other paperwork such as outing permissions, child information and photo permissions at the same time.

Second, if I do lose a family due to contract changes, I find August is the busiest time of year for parents looking for childcare and January seems to be the slowest, since so many new dayhomes seem to open in January. I can fill any empty spots more quickly and easily in August.

playfelt
12-06-2011, 10:01 AM
My year seems to follow the school year too in the sense that that is when I have new spaces as in kids leave in the summer to start school for September and I am interviewing new kids to fill spaces so that is when I start with new contracts. I rarelly change a contract already in place but put in the changes for new families as they start care.

sunnydays
12-06-2011, 12:03 PM
I do exactly what Judy said and I will be sending out new contracts this week for signing and returning before Jan.1st. I have it right in my contract that I will renew the contract yearly and that I may increase my rates yearly as well. I have some things I would like to change slightly and add as well and I am looking forward to this chance to do so. Plus, I have all my stat holidays listed in the contract, so I need to give them the 2012 dates in the new contract. This avoids any confusion or dispute over when I am open.

mom-in-alberta
12-06-2011, 02:48 PM
I just revised all my paperwork, and my new contracts (which will need to be renewed yearly also!, just haven't decided which date) state that any changes mean the parents will be given a written copy of the amendments a minimum of 2 weeks in advance of the changes taking effect. Rate increases require a minimum of 30 days notice.

little rascals
12-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Thank you so much for all of your replies. They were very helpful. I will start the revisions right away and date it as well. Didnt think would need to when i first started in may, but things have came up so this would be the best way to clear things up. I will make this a yearly thing as well. Thanks again

little rascals
12-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Actually i have one more quetion regarding the contract... if one year there are no changes that need to be made, do you still need parents to sign the same contract or just leave it alone for that year?

Judy Trickett
12-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Actually i have one more quetion regarding the contract... if one year there are no changes that need to be made, do you still need parents to sign the same contract or just leave it alone for that year?

ALL my contracts expire Dec 31st each year. It's just easier administratively to know everyone is on the same calendar. So, if I didn't have them sign a new contract then technically they would no longer be ON a contract.

little rascals
12-07-2011, 09:24 AM
ok makes sense thanks again!