PDA

View Full Version : Days to charge for

Sergeants Mom
12-06-2011, 04:38 PM
I am just starting my daycare and am unsure about how to go about charging people.
For example;

If the child is sick for a day, do I still charge for care that day? Or should I give the family a certain amount of "sick days" to use up before they are charged.

Should I charge for stat holidays?

Should I give the family 1-2 weeks out of the year for "vacation time" that they can pull the child from care without being charged for those days?

jodaycare
12-06-2011, 04:56 PM
My parents pay for a spot not for attendance, this means they pay whether or not the child attends with the exception of my vacation time. For their vacation time (full week blocks only) they pay half fees, and it doesn't matter how many weeks they take. The only exception to this is if they take the same weeks as I do. I get paid full fees for all stat and civic holidays, and i have recently added 5 paid personal days. Hope this helps.

Judy Trickett
12-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Most providers charge for the spot. Daycare is about paying for the SPOT and not for the days used. So, all parents here pay for every day they are committed to. Example: If a child is supposed to be here Mon, Tues, Wed then EVERY M,T,W they have to pay for it regardless of attendance. And, if a stat or civic falls on that M,T,W then there is no care offered by they still pay for it.

If you give parents 'free" time off they will always manipulate it. And, let's say you give everyone one week off that they don't have to pay for. What are you gonna do if, let's say, someone has only been with you a few months and then takes their week and then leaves care shortly after that?? OR, what happens if it becomes end of Dec and all your families have yet to take their week?? Suddenly you are getting NO Income at all for that week(s).

Dory
08-14-2013, 02:06 AM
What do you ladies do in the event that say a parent only wants 2 days care out of 5? Do you still charge a full week? because now that child has taken up a spot.

Crayola kiddies
08-14-2013, 07:05 AM
I receive payment for all 52 weeks in the year. I take three weeks vacation as well I have up to 5 paid personal days. I don't receive payment if I close due to my illness. I do everything my power to stay away from part time. I only offer part time to my current full time clients for when they go on mat leave and they must commit to 3 day a week and its at a higher rate. I currently have one mom just about finished mat leave and another just starting and another just told me she's 6 weeks preg and another is trying.

Momof4
08-14-2013, 07:10 AM
I charge for 49 weeks/year because I take 3 weeks of vacation. No matter if there are closed daycare holidays which are clearly listed in my contract, sick days, missed days for any reason, full weekly fees are due at all times. No questions. Simple.

Dory, I find that children adjust best and my income is best with a policy of 3 days minimum/week. I do not charge for the days the part-time children do not attend but I charge a slightly higher rate for part-timers because they are able to schedule around stat holidays and that isn't fair to the parents who have to pay for stats. There are people who charge full time rates for part-timers but personally, I don't find it fair. We all run our daycares differently.

Sassygirl
08-14-2013, 07:22 AM
I don't charge for stats. Nor do I charge for sick days or vacation (theirs OR mine). Unfortunately not many providers in my area DO so to keep up I don't either. Its unfair IMO.

playfelt
08-14-2013, 07:32 AM
I do give parents 5 days they can use for sick days without paying and 2 weeks in the summer they pay half fees for so the equivalent of one week but every caregiver is different. For the rest of the time it is payment by enrollment meaning if they have booked the space they pay for the day even if child doesn't attend.

On the part time question I charge an extra $5 per day for part time. If the days are set as in they book for only Mon, Tues, Wed. Then that is all they can use. You are free to advertise for another child needing the other days of the week. Space sharing actually earns you more money because of the higher per day rate but it does come with more settling in issues.

Momof4
08-14-2013, 07:58 AM
I don't charge for stats. Nor do I charge for sick days or vacation (theirs OR mine). Unfortunately not many providers in my area DO so to keep up I don't either. Its unfair IMO.

Sassygirl, NOT charging is unfair to YOU! How can you budget? What if somebody is sick for a week. I budget each month because I know exactly what my income will be at all times.

Sassygirl
08-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Oh I know... its ridiculous. I have made this decision to NOT charge from all the interviewing and parent inquiries that I have received as well as checking out other providers ads in my immediate area. No one seems to charge for those days. Thankfully, I receive inquiries once a week anyways but now that I am FULL I tell them that I will contact them if something becomes available. I also haven't had anyone get sick longer than 1 day at a time. I have 1 family who has taken 2 weeks vacation but gave me tons of notice so I was lucky to be able to have one of my on call parents use the spot for the week. If I find that a family is taking advantage of my no charge sick days they will get a prompt warning and possible termination.

Dory
08-26-2013, 12:30 AM
I have a problem I'll try to be brief. Parent wants discount on her vacation time 5 weeks! I only cover before/after school care. term time.PA days full day and in between Christmas full days. I wont be charging for stats. So, should I allow her these half price breaks or not? Am I unrealistic in my expectations? She also happens to be a friend(not a close one, but enough that I'm feeling uncomfortable with how this may go) I'd rather say no to the breaks and her go somewhere else, as I have no other clients due to just starting out. I need income from somewhere NOW. Oh and she's getting a 40% discount anyways! (I don't know what I was thinking!?) plz help!!

playfelt
08-26-2013, 06:48 AM
She is definitely asking for too much. Remind her that she is already getting a discount on her regular fees and give her two options. Pay the regular fee you would charge anyone else and pay half fees for her vacation time or pay the reduced friend fee and pay for the vacation time.

Alternately charge her 50% of the regular fee for the vacation days since she is not coming she doesn't qualify for the friend fee for these days.

Absolutely do not let her have the time at no pay. She is being paid her salary while she is on vacation and you deserve your salary for the space she has booked whether she chooses to use it or not.

Dory
08-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Thanks Playfelt. I think I'm going to go with the reduced fee and no breaks for vk. I'll let you know how it goes.

playfelt
08-26-2013, 12:04 PM
I do a half pay rate for vacation days up to the limit I set with the idea that I still have house expenses that have to be paid whether child is in care or not but recognizes the fact I do not incur food, craft, wipes, or other supply fees. Parents think they are getting a break which they are so everyone turns out happy but I can afford to do that in the summers and enjoy the lighter load with still some income.