PDA

View Full Version : Xmas Holiday Pay?

KingstonMom
12-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Hey ladies, Im hoping someone can help me wrap my head around this:
I have 3 full time dcks, who pay attend m-f and pay for stat holidays. Nobody is requiring care between Dec 24th and Jan 3rd so I am closing.
Would you treat this week as a vacation week (I take 3 weeks per year UNPAID) and therefore I would not get paid for the Xmas day, Boxing day and New Years Day, or do I let them know that even though I will be closed and you dont need care, I still want the pay for those 3 holidays.
Im sure the answer is yes, I am entitled to my stats, I just dont know how to let them know this. Im sure Im just being unconfrontational and they are expecting to pay me for it anyways lol
What are you guys doing as far as this holiday season is concerned? Thanks!

Play and Learn
12-07-2011, 08:54 AM
I still receive my Stats even though I'm closed for 2 weeks. Parents must pay for the 3 stats.

Boxing Day - Paid
Christmas Day - Take Dec 27 off in lieu of
New Years Day - Take Jan 2 off in lieu of

And then state that all other days are unpaid.

KingstonMom
12-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Thanks Play and Leatn, just to clarify, you get paid for the 27th and the 2nd also right? not just taking a day off in lieu of?
I plan to0 be closed the 2nd, but still getting a full weeks pay that first week of January. Is this whay you are doing too?

zen39
12-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Yes you deserve to get paid for the stats. Even though it's outlined in my contract, all my parents gave their cheques for December and January and none of them paid me for the stats (i take off two weeks at Christmas). So I sent a letter home to them, thanking them for their post-dated cheques and that this is a reminder that payment for the stat days is due on December 23. It's not being confrontational, it's simply a matter of business.

Sandbox Sally
12-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Am I reading your post correctly? All the parents are keeping their kids home that week? If that's the case, you should be paid, no?

playfelt
12-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Just because the parents are keeping their kids home is not your problem as in you didn't tell them to. Therefore no vacation time to be used. You are open and should be paid as normal (which then gives you pay for the stats and days off).

sunnydays
12-07-2011, 12:17 PM
I agree with playfelt...you should be paid for the entire week, not just the stats. They decided to keep the kids home, not you. Technically, you are not closed, you just won't have any kids coming becayse THEY are on vacation, not you. Don't tell parents you are closing...tell them you are open...they don't even need to know that the other kids aren't coming.

Play and Learn
12-07-2011, 12:41 PM
KingstonMom - I take 10 weeks off per year UNPAID. So if a Stat falls on a weekend, I take the next 'working' day in lieu of.

It's confusing for me to type this out for some reason - Friday is soon right?! lol

My last day is Friday, Dec 23 and I start back to work Monday, Jan 9th. Technically these 2 weeks are part of my 10 weeks off unpaid. BUT...because there are 3 STAT holidays in there, the parents have to pay me for them. AND they have to pay me for them by Dec. 23.

Hopefully that makes more sense?

DaycareLulu
12-07-2011, 12:45 PM
I agree, you already told them you were taking 3 weeks off and now they are telling YOU when to take them? Or you will take another 3 weeks off later totaling five weeks off unpaid. Are you all right with that? If you never planned on closing for Christmas and were relying on that income then they should definitely be paying you whether they bring their kids or not.

little rascals
12-07-2011, 07:11 PM
This is new to me. Until now didnt know you can take days off in lieu of a stat. Thanks for the info. Thank you for bringing this up kingston mom!!

fruitloop
12-08-2011, 07:12 AM
Just because the parents are keeping their kids home is not your problem as in you didn't tell them to. Therefore no vacation time to be used. You are open and should be paid as normal (which then gives you pay for the stats and days off).

Ditto to this!