PDA

View Full Version : Background checks

admin
02-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Hello,

When considering a childcare provider, do you always do a thorough background check or simply ask for references ?
What are the most convenient and/or efficient way of doing a background check ?

:huh:

Myrtah
02-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Hi admin
This forum does not have a lot of parents...I mean parents who are not providers:)
It is sad but I hope that they would at least check some topics at the time of need.
Pretty much background checks are very informal...many times we go with instincts.
I hope parents take background checks seriously. I did not do mine well and ended up repenting. At least my experience taught me something.

playfelt
02-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Personally I don`t think the background checks are as necessary as some would have you believe. I can see it for someone that wants to work in daycare but has no kids of their own and is just starting out because there is little information to base a decision on. But if a caregiver had done anything that would be picked up in the background check - against a child the reality is the CAS would have stepped in and taken the caregivers own children into safe custody and the caregiver wouldn`t be able to give many years worth of references from satisfied customers.

I understand why organizations have the requirement and it is mainly to protect themselves legally down the road should anything happen.

A background check is also something not everyone can get because it requires photo ID so for anyone that doesn`t have a drivers license, passport or immigration card with a photo they are out of luck. Also the backlog in some areas especially spring as students are looking for jobs and fall when they need to do vollunteer work can be a couple months. Again there may better ways to get the information. As a caregiver I have had over the years a couple parents that I later found out information about that might have been picked up in a background check. Sometimes I think as caregivers it would be more important to get checks done on the parents that are going to come to our house - as in adults on the premises when we are there alone with the kids than it is for parents to require background checks of caregivers.

Emilys4Guppies
02-25-2011, 02:45 PM
I have to have a current criminal record check for my business's insurance. It is also a point of relief for clients who are leaving their first child with me. My husband also has one.

Play and Learn
02-25-2011, 03:06 PM
As I have two businesses, and for insurance purposes, I have to have a police check. Now, this year, because of the dancing, I have to get an Enhanced Police Check.

Myrtah
02-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Sometimes I think as caregivers it would be more important to get checks done on the parents that are going to come to our house - as in adults on the premises when we are there alone with the kids than it is for parents to require background checks of caregivers.

Yes, since this is about the children in care and really not a contest between parents and caregivers, it is best to have a police clearance as a provider and be open to caregivers who want to do a background check on the parents.

JerseyGirl
02-28-2011, 10:28 AM
I think references speak volumes! A piece of paper doesn't mean you are a good person, kwim? If I was in the market for a childcare provider, I would certainly make sure that I asked my provider for referrences from past and current clients.

I would want to know from these past clients what their experience was with the provider and if they were unhappy, left on bad terms, etc. I would also speak to the current clients to see if they were happy with the provider.

JMO

vrvasile
03-05-2011, 10:37 AM
you should ask someone to reffer you a good childcare service and there you dont need to do a background check.

aisearag
12-19-2013, 12:21 AM
I always preferred to choose the reference

5 Little Monkeys
12-19-2013, 08:07 AM
The background checks just mean that you haven't been caught (if you are doing anything that you shouldn't be!!)

I would take personal references and following my gut instinct over a background check any day. If I was a parent and wanted one, I would offer to pay for it for a hdcp. I would also show up a bit early a day or two to see what is happening when my hdcp isn't expecting me.

Rachael
08-19-2014, 11:04 AM
Do both.

Get a police check. There are two. One is for general criminal record and the other is a vulnerable sector check which details crimes such as child abuse, elder abuse, crimes against mental health patients or any other group of society which are more vulnerable than fully functioning adults. Because these groups are particularly vulnerable, crimes against these are kept on a separate register as they are deemed more serious since the offender was in a position of advantage by default.

Also, in some areas, Community services will provide a letter confirming someone is not on the child abuse register at that current time.

BUT just because someone hasn't been caught and convicted of a crime, that doesn't mean they are all good people. It just means they might be. They could equally be extra slick and have therefore avoided being caught and prosecuted.

Get references too.

I suggest getting a reference from a long term client whose child was with the provider for all of the stages of development yours has yet to reach. If a provider doesn't have a long term client, ask yourself why? Are they just starting up or have they never managed to keep a family long term?

Make sure that one of your references comes from someone who has left the day care. Most current clients are presumably happy with their carer at the current time or they would pull their child. An ex client has nothing to gain from providing a reference and therefore, it's more likely they had a good relationship with the carer, and down to circumstances they left. If an ex client speaks highly of me, especially if they've moved out of area and have a new provider to compare me to, then that's a good source of information.

Finally, get a reference from a parent (past or current) whose child is fully verbal. A 10 month old child cannot tell their parent what they had to eat, or what their day involved, but a 4-year old is likely telling their parents all about their day. This is the best way to determine if your provider really does what she claims to be doing during her day.

Playschool teacher
06-22-2015, 09:01 PM
Hi,

I would feel comfortable in parents doing rigorous background checks as well as references personally.My question to you as i am currently new at this dayhome business 3yrs in, was a teacher before. I have been doing people up until now and has been through word of mouth neighbors and friends what about new parents how do i know what type of people they are would it be wrong to ask for some type of reference etc, as this has come up. And i wanted to ask you the parents your advise.

Van
06-22-2015, 10:10 PM
In BC each daycare has to have a criminal record check with the police every 5 years and all over 18 years who live in the house so the parent know they have that organized and just ask for references.

Suzie_Homemaker
06-22-2015, 10:19 PM
I don't think that's what she was asking - she was ask as a provider, can she take out background checks on the parent before accepting them into her dayhome.

I do not think many clients would permit it. And you need their permission before you can do a police check on someone else. It would also get expensive as I would think, even if a parent agreed, they wouldn't fund it.

Acesty6
02-28-2018, 07:25 PM
references are too important even background check and valid Id's is a must we must have a good child care service and assurance

tomoneil43
04-23-2019, 04:02 AM
Looking for a daycare is really a tenious job. You can do background checks of the daycare employees and faculty to further make sure of good daycare Springfield (http://eskaykids.com.au/our-programs/) for your child.