PDA

View Full Version : I am happy that I found this site

Rose47
11-02-2016, 08:50 PM
I just want to say hello everybody!This is my first time to join this forum.I opened my family daycare 6 months ago and I don't have client yet.I did all sorts of advertising but i just got calls from parent inquiring and not returning anymore.I am only charging $600-$700 depending on the child's age.Do you think it is too expensive?I am worried that if I won't be able to get at least 3 clients on the following months, the licensing will cancel my license.Can you give me some tips/advices on what to do?Thank you and I am so happy to be a part of this group/forum.

Lee-Bee
11-02-2016, 09:41 PM
I just want to say hello everybody!This is my first time to join this forum.I opened my family daycare 6 months ago and I don't have client yet.I did all sorts of advertising but i just got calls from parent inquiring and not returning anymore.I am only charging $600-$700 depending on the child's age.Do you think it is too expensive?I am worried that if I won't be able to get at least 3 clients on the following months, the licensing will cancel my license.Can you give me some tips/advices on what to do?Thank you and I am so happy to be a part of this group/forum.

$600-700 how often? Weekly, biweekly, monthly? Where are you located. What are your hours of care. All of this will impact the going rate.

It can be very hard to get started. Once you have a client or two it can be easier to fill remaining spots but it is usually hardest to fill that first spot.

What I did was never make it known I was empty. I had my website written as if I was currently open and running. I never outright lied but I avoided saying I had no kids. I attempted to avoid saying I was empty until the arrived for an interview. Then I had to tell them but I tried to win them over anyways. I had a strong educational and experience background so I was able to field concerns etc. I had references from in the field to give as well.

Never list that you have 5 spots (or how ever many you are allowed) that screams empty. Advertise only for 1-2 spots in your ads.

Van
11-02-2016, 10:51 PM
It is hard at the start when you haven't got the first important client so I would suggest you call around in your area as if you are looking for daycare and see what others say in the phone interview and see how much they charge so you get a better idea of fees in your area

Rose47
11-02-2016, 11:16 PM
I think that is one of my problem.I told the parents inquiring that I just opened and I don't have clients yet.I told them about my price too over the phone.Someone told me not to tell my price over the phone.I should invite them first and discuss it personally.Actually the $600-700 price is for full time service and it is from 7:00-5:30pm.,Monday to Friday..I am very thankful that I joined this site and I was able to learned a lot from you guys.Thank you for your advice.

Suzie_Homemaker
11-03-2016, 08:22 AM
Actually the $600-700 price is for full time service and it is from 7:00-5:30pm.,Monday to Friday.

$600-700 every week? Or every month?

And I agree, don't tell them you have no client. Most people view daycare as somewhere child can interact. If you have no other children for them play with, then they will go somewhere else.

Lee-Bee
11-03-2016, 09:29 AM
I made my price very clear. To me that is something most families have little wiggle room on and it is a waste of everyone's time to interview when they can't afford you. My fee was $15 more than the daycares around me (education and experience and facilities allowed this to work) so hiding that was not worthwhile.

When you get a family to interview use what you have to sell yourself. No other children...make that a positive. It will allow you to give one-on-one attention to the child as they settle into care. You can adapt to their current nap schedule. Sell yourself and sell the idea of being the only child. Do NOT mention any negatives, do NOT mention the struggles of filling that first spot.

You need a clear vision of what you will offer. I found parents were very split and very firm on what they wanted in regards to staying onsite or going for outings with the caregiver. I did not leave the house/yard and all my families preferred this. I did not use any tv/screen time and all my families wanted this. Know what you will offer and advertise that as your selling features.

Word everything in the present tense, word everything as if you are running already. "We play outside morning and afternoon every day" not "We will play outside morning and afternoon every day"

Have the daycare fully set up. It is one thing to have no children but there is a big difference between having no children and a house with zero toys and no daycare space versus having no children and a clearly visible, appealing fully stocked daycare space. Simple phrases like "I have been focused on having the daycare space fully set up before my first child starts" allows parents to move past "there are no children".

You also need to advertise in alignment with other providers in your area. If they advertise the daily fee DO NOT advertise a monthly fee. It is drastically higher to look at and you don't want parents to have do the math. If they list monthly fees then do the same.

Know how you are in interviews. If you excel then you are set, if like many you are nervous and forget to sell yourself find ways to help. I had a portfolio (with my diploma's, transcripts and experience in it) and I had taken a parent's list of questions to ask daycare providers (from online, I believe it was one from the Ontario Early Year's Centres) and I answered every question in writing.

When parents arrived I gave a tour, then sat in the daycare space, handed them the portfolio and fill out questions and I sat and interacted with their child (with them right beside us) and had them read. By the time they read it they were sold on me and they had watched me with their child. There wasn't much left to say. I didn't have to verbally answer manage questions on the spot (which leaves room for error and fumbles).

I always do the main interview (as noted above) then I send them home telling them I will need X amount of time to reflect and see if they are a good fit. This allows them to go home and think as well and makes it clear I am not taking anyone willing to pay and that I am in charge. I then invite them back if both parties are interested. The next meeting is to go over the contract, sign the contract, give the deposit and set everything up.

I ONLY sign children on when I have met BOTH parents. I do not want to sign on a sweet mom and child to find out the dad is rude, arrogant or abusive.

Rose47
11-03-2016, 06:16 PM
Thank you very much.I really learned a lot from this forum and it's a blessing to hear great advices from my fellow childcare providers.You shared a lot of good ideas amd it gives me hope..especially now that I worried so much that my license will be cancel due to no clients.I will follow all your advices and I hope it will work this time.

Rose47
11-03-2016, 06:19 PM
$600-700 monthly...Monday -Friday (7:00-5:30pm).

kindertime
11-04-2016, 01:38 PM
Sorry if I am getting this wrong, but you say you are licenced, are you with an agency? If so, can they help you find clients?

Van
11-04-2016, 02:34 PM
Sorry if I am getting this wrong, but you say you are licenced, are you with an agency? If so, can they help you find clients?

or are you in BC where you need to be licensed to run a home daycare.......it helps us to know to give you good advice :)

Rose47
11-04-2016, 07:14 PM
Yes I am in BC and my home daycare was licensed last April this year.

Van
11-04-2016, 08:31 PM
Great- don't worry about licensing closing your daycare as they can help direct people to you and help you so no stress there so relax and advertize here in the home button on the top left of this page in Daycare Bear, also Craig list works well in BC, look under communities and you see lots of ads for daycares that have a spot available right now, it is a really good way to get the word out and read other ads and have some pictures of your daycare nicely set up in your ads .....also is there a child care resource centre you can join in your area as they too can give your phone number to people in your area- it may be a case of you being too cheap??? :) so I do suggest calling other daycares in your area - Keep in touch and Good Luck

Van
11-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Also it is a good idea to set up a website for free with webs.com , it is easier as you get use to it and you just need more pictures of your daycare , it is good to check out other daycare website
We were all in your shoes at one time and it gets better ...after you get that first parent to sign on :)

Lee-Bee
11-04-2016, 09:20 PM
When I created my first website (before signing on any families) I asked some family and friends to borrow photos of their young children. Just a handful of kids in non-descript backgrounds (outside etc). It filled in my website making it look less "I am empty". I never claimed they were my daycare kids or anything just had them up for viewing when my ads directed parents to my website.

Again, my website listed a daily schedule, sample menu and everything as if i was currently running the daycare. Have everything planned out. Present yourself at your best.

good luck!!

Van
11-06-2016, 05:29 PM
if you are already a member of your local child care resource centre then you can call them up and let them know you need to get parents calling and they will put your
name on the top of their list as soon as they know you have spots available , someone from the ccrc may come out to visit and suggest a few things but it is all to help you fill your daycare spots asap
keep us informed here so we can help you more or cheer you on :) GOOD LUCK