PDA

View Full Version : Run by parents

pookie
12-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Hi everyone!

I have a problem, I'm fairly new to having my own day home. Everything was going great at the beginning with the parents that I have. And now for the past couple of months both sets of parents have been showing up late regularly and with just an (Uh ya sorry, shrug of the shoulders) I thought that I was clear with my contract and established a good home daycare. I KNOW most of you are probably thinking that it's my fault, which I totally aggree with :yes:

I have one mother that talks down to me and has accused me of not changing her childs bumb, because the child kept getting rashes, I assured her that I change each child at the same time. It turns out that she was allergic to the wipes, she didn't even appaligize for that.

How do you get the parents to respect you after giving them too many "It's okay" I'm tired of it and I need to demand a change, but I'm worried that they will say something "Like why are you changing now" or backfire on me and have them tell me that I'm being a you know what! I need to find my backbone, which I think I have found it i'm just not sure on how to pick my battles.

Thanks for any advice!:o

Julie
12-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Hi Pookie !
I think you should just say that things are changing i have been to lenient with certain thing in my contract and you are going to be referring to the contract much more from hear on in. Even be honest with them and say i can't have the lateness anymore i have a family to feed and a house to clean and when im closed im closed. You just have to do the change and show them you mean business and say enough is enough you can not be late any more. Hope it helps a bit

playfelt
12-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Now is a good time to make changes with the new year starting - new year/new rules/enforced rules. Why not make a Christmas newsletter - just a one page is fine and outline what has been good the past year and issues you want to address for the coming year. Mention about late pickups and remind parents that they pay for a set number of hours and anything over that will have an additional fee and then state what it is and when it is due adn what the consequences are for not paying. Remind them that you too are a parent and that you have responsibilities to your own children and plan your family events based on contracted hours so late pickups jeopardize your own children getting to their events on time. When you put it that your kids are inconvenienced as compared to yourself parents seem to listen better.

Cocoon
12-09-2011, 11:22 AM
May be if you put a clause "I will be charging $1 per minute if you are late " on your contract would make/force them to come on time? :)

Sandbox Sally
12-09-2011, 01:56 PM
I felt this way the first few months after I opened my dayhome as well. It is mostly due to the support and encouragement of the other amazing caregivers I have met through this message board that I found my voice. I take NO crap now. It's amazing - it took my termination letter to get one mother to start treating me with respect. Now, she bends over backward to please me. I think that often, we teach people how to treat us (or how NOT to treat us).

A swift and direct email or typewritten letter on Friday afternoon will serve your purpose. Let these people know in no uncertain terms that you will not put up with their BS. "Dear XXXX, This letter/email is to inform you that I will no longer be accepting children into my home after X'oclock without a previous agreement in place. I will be sending home a contract amendment to this effect, and it must be returned and signed by XXX in order for me to continue to provide care for your family."

If the family isn't into it, tell them that you're sorry they feel this way, but if they do not sign the amendment, then they will have to find alternate child care arrangements.

Also, I would call the bum rash mom. I would have a frank conversation with her about how you feel. Tell her that you feel disrespected. I did this, and the mother was very apologetic and told me how much she valued me etc...it may not work out like this for you, but who needs the stress of a mother treating you like garbage? ADVERTISE for her spot, and see how it unfolds.

We do NOT need to be treated like crap by anyone - especially by the people whose children we are caring for every day! Good luck. I really hope you find your voice. It is SO worth it. :)

lilac
12-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Just a note about the late fee.... when I instituted a late fee b/c I was tired of people showing up late, at first all was good, no one was late, but then one family in particular didnt mind paying the late fee, so it happened often. My problem with rthem being so late was that it was cutting into the time I had to get my own kids evening activitries and routines done. Not that I wanted to be paid for my extra time! I cant remember who it is, but I know a couple here has a 3 strikes and your out policy....

MunchkinMinder
12-16-2011, 07:46 AM
I too have a late fee of $1/minute late..It works great for me! I've only had to charge $7 in late fees over the past 4 months....with that being said I do also have a clause in my contract saying along the lines of if a parent is consistently late picking up their child they will be placed on a 1 week probation. If they are still coming late to pick-up throughout the probationary week the parent will be given 2 weeks written notice of termination.

Play and Learn
12-16-2011, 08:16 AM
J I cant remember who it is, but I know a couple here has a 3 strikes and your out policy....
That would be me!

This is my late fee policy - and I enforce it hard core.
I will provide parents with a five minute grace period, then $1/minute according to my clock (which is programmed to the Weather Network). After 20 minutes, it will become $5/minute.

This is the 3-strikes and you're out:
Upon the third infraction of any guideline, as outlined in the manual, a two-week termination notice will be given.

dodge__driver11
12-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Wow I guess I am pretty hard ass then; I give 5 mins then charge 15 bucks flat and a dollar per min for every minute after--parents havent been late once lol

Sunflower
12-16-2011, 11:40 AM
I charge $10 for the first 15 min ,after that it's $1per minute .
Three strikes and you are out..

Momof4
12-17-2011, 08:41 PM
I only charge $5/half hour for overtime or $5/half hour if over 9 hours of care, so I guess I'm a pushover! But I very rarely have any family abuse my policy so I feel very lucky. I do make it clear at the interview stage that my days run from 7:30-4:30 usually (5pm is my official close so will work to that time if needed), then I have to do cleanup from the day, dishes for 6 people (I don't have a dishwasher) and food and activities prep for the next day.

I just had a Mom who had to work mandatory overtime on Tues & Thurs for several weeks and she went 15 minutes over the 9 hour day but within my hours of business and paid the extra $5 per day. At the end of her overtime days she showed up with a box of chocolates to thank me for letting her son stay overtime all of those days too. If you ask for respect you will receive respect. And I had honestly told her that I was going to put the tv on a cartoon for her son for those last 15 minutes because he would be staying into the hours when I start rushing around getting my end of the day chores accomplished.

Pookie, you need a business hat! Here -> put it on. Now let's get serious!

When do you renew your contracts? I do this once a year so I can make any changes necessary depending on the lesson I learned over the past year. You need to either make new contracts with definite rules on anything that is making your life miserable or draft a letter regarding things that must change immediatly. You address and give the letter to all families in your care so that you are not centering anybody out. You tell yourself that you are a businesswoman and leave your heart on the sideline.

One thing my friends in the business taught me in my first year in business is exactly what I am telling you now. We are nurturers, caregivers, loving, sweet people and that's why parents want us to take care of their children. But when dealing with the parents we are running a business and have to be strong. It's difficult but necessary if we survive. I'm almost about to celebrate my 4th anniversary of success because I learned to say ........according to our contract......